U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 27,136 times

Advertisements

We will be driving to Alberta. In Calgary, we want to spend one day at Calaway Park, and another day at the science centre.

Then we want to head out to Banff for a couple nights. We've heard Canmore will have cheaper accomodation so we're fine to stay there and drive in to Banff.

Mainly looking for hotel recommendations in both places. 2 adults, 2 kids. Not familiar with Calgary so I'm not sure what would be closest to the attractions we want to visit. Cheaper is better, but we're OK to pay a little more for something with a pool. Calaway Park has a "Ride and Slide" package with the Sheraton Cavalier, but it seems expensive. $279 I was quoted, which includes Calaway Park tickets. However, I can get those online for a discount totalling $88 anyway.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 PM

681 posts, read 1,329,994 times
The Sheraton Cavalier is on the exact opposite side of town from Calaway Park - but relatively close to the science centre.

I don't want to sound negative, but the science centre gets horrible reviews. My husband took our 9 year old when it first opened and he even took the time to write a review on trip advisor because he found it to be expensive and a total waste of money.

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but maybe the zoo or Heritage Park instead? There's also Canada Olympic Park where you can zip line, luge, or rent mountain bikes. It's now home to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame as well.

Across from COP - there are a couple of hotels - a Sheraton Four Points and a Sandman. It would be a 10 minute drive to Calaway Park from there and as it's on the far west side of Calgary, 45 minutes to Canmore.

I'm not sure when you're planning to travel, but be aware that the Stampede happens at the beginning of July and the city typically sells out of hotels - if you can find a room, the prices are ridiculous.

I would recommend visiting the Calgary tripadvisor forum - there are LOTS of people who have similar questions and a couple of really good local experts that offer advice.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 27,136 times
Thank you! Ended up with the Sheraton Four Points as it will shorten our drive to Canmore when we leave Calgary. I think it's right near the Canada Olympic Park. My kids are 10 and 7, I don't know if they could zip line or luge.

Definitely avoiding the Stampede!

Surpised about the science centre! Will have to consider that.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 PM

16 posts, read 16,373 times
Science centre is way over priced and a bore. COP is a great alternative, rent some mountain bikes at the hill and your kids will be entertained for hours. The zip line is nuts, goes right from the top of the 90meter ski jump tower, I think you hit speeds of 130Km/h? Then you have to pull a parachute at the bottom. So much fun!

Your kids could do the luge, but not the bobsled. And you probably wouldn't want them on the zipline.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM

681 posts, read 1,329,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer1976 View Post
Thank you! Ended up with the Sheraton Four Points as it will shorten our drive to Canmore when we leave Calgary. I think it's right near the Canada Olympic Park.
Yes - it is literally "accross the street". For inexpensive family/fast food, there is a Denny's attached to the Sandman (the block next to the Four Points), a McDonalds, Wendy's, Subway, and Opa Souvlaki. Also Bona Roma pizza - not the cheapest pizza/Italian restaurant, but I used to love their pizza. Haven't had it for a while though....

There are TONS of places to stay in Canmore... lots of nice condos with full kitchens that are in rental pools and, depending on availability/timing, can actually be less expensive than a hotel. Once again - poke around TripAdvisor and look at hotel/condo reviews as well as the forums for Canmore/Banff and you will find something nice that is in your budget.

Have fun!

Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
This may be, somewhat, off topic, and not much information you care about, but I recently just got back from Calgary.
Banff is AWESOME!
My family enjoyed it a lot.
Very picturesque.
I would recommend Banff to anyone wanting to go to a nice mountainous area.
I will be definitely going back. (Even if the trip for all of us was around $5000.)
(But, we flew from the southern U.S.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or