U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM

16,748 posts, read 9,476,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
So you have a large population of single men aged 18-35 with lots of disposable income aggregrated in a small area - think it goes without saying that drug use, gambling and alcoholism would not be "uncommon". That's called demographics. If these are activities that you don't care to engage in then that is your perogative... they aren't foisted upon you.

On the flip side there are also many upscale "dry" workcamps and a good proportion that perform mandatory drug/alcohol testing. Fail and you're fired.

Yes there are lots of jobs in the field, but an equal amount of employment opportunities are in the cities that support the field... Edmonton, Red Deer, Medicine Hat and Calgary. Calgary has the highest concentration of head offices in the country. As for higher salaries - the main drivers of employment in Calgary are energy, transportation, finance, technology, health care and to a growing extent, Film and television. Many of the jobs, especially in energy, require specialized post secondary education. I can't walk down the street without bumping into an engineer - it's a city filled with iron pinky rings and the salaries that go with them.

I'm always amazed by people who make a claim based on something that they have "heard" or something that they have "read". So if someone logs on to city data and happens upon this thread and reads your post... they could now go on to spread the mis-belief that AB is a cesspool and Calgary is a boring city. Charming.

Making a claim that Calgary is not exciting or hip is sad when you admit that you have never been here. What makes a city exciting or hip anyway? Do you have a specific formula?

Calgary has "hip" districts: 4th street, 17th ave and Kensington for example. Calgary has an extensive network of paved trails for biking, rollerblading, jogging, etc as well as 150 off leash areas for dog owners. Calgary hosts 2 world renowned events: The Calgary Stampede and the Global Petroleum Show as well as numerous small festivals (Lilac festival, Sun and Salsa Festival, Folk Fest, Calgary International Children's festival.... etc.) Calgary has Canada Olympic Park, The Glenbow Museum and, the under construction, National Music Centre. Calgary has enviable proximity to the Rocky Mountains - I can get to the centre of Banff from my house in an hour.

You know I could go on... and on... and on... but why? You have heard something, so it must be true and worth repeating.
Both you and fusion are wasting your logic on this one. Being an Ex-pat Canadian, anything not fitting his narrative of why he left will not be acceptable, yet those reasons he left are the very things that are serving to make Alberta a rising star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,023,077 times
^^^ Thanks for sharing info on Calgary. All the people I knew who have been to Calgary and said it was boring were based out of a much bigger city, Toronto, so perhaps the bar is too high. So that made me conclude people are moving there more for higher incomes, not so much for the city itself. Same can be said of people who work in Dubai. I'm sure the city will improve over time, it has to. I'm thinking about a trip to Banff in the next couple of years so I'll keep your tips in mind to see for myself.

As great as oil & gas is for the Canadian economy, I am still personally quite concerned about the pollutive & other effects of the oil fields, and, yes, I have never been there but have read a lot of things about it. I have no idea how that equates to being un-Canadian to some.

Last edited by johnathanc; 07-27-2014 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,950,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
As great as oil & gas is for the Canadian economy, I am still personally quite concerned about the pollutive & other effects of the oil fields, and, yes, I have never been there but have read a lot of things about it. I have no idea how that equates to being un-Canadian to some.
Protip: Don't believe everything you read.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 AM

2,969 posts, read 3,762,829 times
Alberta's GDP is all about the billing, and is based on very small numbers of bodies employed. Remember when the Canadian Federal govt. was giving oil companies three dollars for every dollar they spent in the Beaufort Sea, 1980's?? Yeh, I had some friends working through Calgary up there. I spent more time with their wives than they did.

I asked my dad why he ended up in California (chief mechanic, Marine Pipeline and Dredging, Windfall, AB 1960) He said he'd rather change a cat starter motor in 105 F. than -45 below in a high wind. Anyone can weld, but can you do it in a high wind or muck from the butt down and mosquitoes from the rear upwards?

The Alberta GDP reflects the billing that's going on, including materials (tremendous amounts bought in the USA, by the way) and ghost or faux employment agencies and unions, which may pay 48. an hour and liveout but bill 330. an hour their price. You don't see that money: it goes into a few hands. Kind of like everywhere?

As far as drugs/booze/and party in your pants, there are some that keep the money. A very large number don't.
And like Rob Ford, you have to work with these idiots sometimes fifteen hours a day. That gets old really fast if you're anywhere near searching for "normal".

Last edited by thedwightguy; 08-01-2014 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: add comment

Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 AM

210 posts, read 618,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post

Most people have the same environmental concerns. Its easy to point fingers at one place or province to make ourselves feel better, but as long as the rest of the country and world need to drive cars, heat/cool their homes, fly in planes and use any petroleum based products (which is in nearly everything!!) we are ALL part of the problem.

A partial list of products made from petroleum

Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 AM

831 posts, read 874,023 times
I do agree with that. The thing that bugs me about Alberta and Sask is that are the 2 wealthiest provinces but use coal for electrical generation more than any of the other provinces. Of all provinces that could afford to get off very polluting coal generation plants it's these two provinces.

While it is true that Calgary is not a particularly "hip" city, you do have to appreciate that it is still only a third the size of Montreal and a fifth the size of Greater Toronto. It may not be a very exciting city but it certainly is a very nice one. It's very liveable, has great transit, a nice downtown, lots of parks and trails, and has a surprising number of interesting areas with a lot more urbanity than the city is given credit for.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 AM

210 posts, read 618,649 times
^^^ One thing a lot of people don't know about Calgary, is that it is a very athletically inclined city. It may lack a night life (which I could care less about) but people aren't bored. Take a drive/walk around the city and you see people outside enjoying nature & life. Pathways are abundant, people are jogging & biking everywhere. The rivers are active with rafts and there is a giant playground to the west of the city called the Rocky Mountians. Its very exciting place to be if you like the outdoors...

Photo credits to : Canadian Photo Tours [url=http://canadianphototours.ca/2009/summer-almost-here]Spring in Calgary, Summer is just around the corner

View from Springbank, 10-15 minutes west of Calgary Photo Credit Doug Zwick

Last edited by Joules21; 08-04-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 05:33 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,486,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Bizarre to relate drug use, gambling, alcoholism, prostitution to the growing success of Alberta. If Alberta were in your new found land of the good ole U.S it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread for you.
It is not odd at all. He is not bashing Alberta but simply stating what usually happens at any boom town where there are a lot of single guys making a lot of money. It could be anywhere in the world.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM

I have spent a lot of time in Calgary over the past several years. I have 2 nieces that live there. I actually like Calgary except it is so damn cold. Calgary has grown a lot even since my wife and I were there just a couple years ago. I spent a lot of time in Banff and Jasper National parks which are very scenic.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:22 AM

The Alberta boom economy could be a bust pretty soon if the price of oil keeps falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or