U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times

Advertisements

Hello there.

I've been reading several topics here about moving, but none with my concerns.

Quick intro:
I will be moving to Calgary in October with my wife and our dog. She will be working at U of C with everything already on the way. I'm a Software Developer with more than 10 years of experience in MS .Net. I will get an Open Work Permit, so no job offerings yet.

I'm having a bad time trying to find an apartment close to Red Line C-Train. Which I believe is the easiest way to get to U of C.

What is the normal procedure to find a good place?
Use RentFaster and other websites, call Landlords as soon as I get to Calgary to schedule a visit?
What can I do before get to Calgary? Landlords give attention to people that is not in town yet?

IT companies are concentrated in downtown? Or somewhere else?
(which makes the distance to C-Train even more importante when chosing an apartment).
Best recruitment website for IT positions? Monster.ca?

Can someone point me good stores to buy winter clothes?

What about mobile. Telus? Bell? Rogers?

Thanks and sorry for some silly questions.

Last edited by rodKings; 09-17-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 AM

210 posts, read 633,524 times
Welcome to Calgary!

Securing a place to live will likely be harder than finding a job, especially with a pet. If you are looking to rent near the University, it will be even more difficult unfortunatley. Not to be negative, but this part will likely prove really difficult. The vacancy rate in Calgary is really low, so there's lots of competition for nice places. Rentfaster is your best bet, although Kijiji may have listings as well. Just never give a deposit before seeing a place, never.

Try looking in the communities towards the far NW corner, along Crowchild Trail. These are nice, safe neighborhoods. The train line runs along Crowchild, so your wife can still be at work fairly quickly.

I have no information for you re: IT companies, but try looking up recruiters or placement agencies. They can at least get your foot in the door.

Cell phone companies are all pretty much the same in my experience. We pay a lot in Canada.

Winter clothes are available at every mall, every store in season - you will have no trouble finding what you need.

All the best.

Last edited by Joules21; 09-18-2014 at 05:40 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM

873 posts, read 809,662 times
A good place to live near the red line and not too far from the U of C is the Sunnyside/Kensington area. The apartment market is pretty good there. Mission is also good but it may be too expensive however the neighborhood offers everything and it's close to the C-Train as well. Beltline is not a bad option either. The further you go from downtown the harder it is to find an apartment. But you can look in Brentwood and the deep south as well as long as it's close to the C-Train you shouldn't have a problem commuting.

I have no idea where the IT companies are located but my guess is most of them are actually out of the downtown area in the more industrial areas. But I'm not 100% sure on that. There are lots of stores where you can buy winter clothes. You can go to Sport Check, Sears, Winners, etc. There's many around the city.

In terms of mobile all of Canada is having bad luck with that considering it's a monopoly market at the moment. (hopefully that will change soon.) But in Calgary you have Wind Mobile where you can get super cheap plans and as long as you stay in the city you will get decent coverage. Koodo is also not a bad value with cheaper plans than Rogers/Bell/Telus but still use the Telus network so you will always have a strong reception and coverage. I would avoid Rogers and Fido, in western Canada the Rogers network is much weaker and Telus/Bell have a stronger network.

Enjoy you're time here. Make sure you visit the Rockies and Banff while you're here for some great views. Also visit some of the parks in the city Nose Hill, Fish Creek, etc.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:53 PM

681 posts, read 1,324,926 times
For winter clothes you can also try Mountain Equipment Co-op. The membership fee is only $5 and it's for life.
Really cool store with everything and anything you will need for enjoying the great outdoors in AB!
MEC Calgary - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). Free Shipping Available.

As everyone else has replied... renting in Calgary is a bit of a nightmare. Especially tough timing with all of the post-secondary students just starting back to school in September.

Other than Rentfaster and Kijiji (where you will find the vast majority of the independently owned condos/houses/townhouses) you might want to look at some of the larger property management companies that rent out purpose built rental apartments (some of them will appear on rentfaster).

One of the big ones in Calgary is Main Street - I can't vouch for the quality of their rental units - some of their buildings are pretty dodgy, but others are quite nice. I'm sure this will be reflected in the pricing!
Calgary Apartments for Rent | Calgary Apartment Rentals

Something like this might work for you. It's pet-friendly, close to Chinook Mall - which is a nice central safe location, about 5 blocks from a C-train stop... and if you drove to the U of C you would take Glenmore trail west to Crowchild Trail north and could be at the university in 15 minutes with no traffic or up to an hour in rush hour with snow - hahaha.
http://www.mainst.biz/apartments/calgary/chinook_winds

I also second the warning about being careful when it comes to rental scams... You want to be sure that the person you give your deposit /money to REALLY has the right to rent the place you are inquiring about.

If C-Train is part of your transportation plan - then don't worry about the specific line. It's easy enough to transfer to a different line as all of them run through downtown where you can transfer.

I also agree that all of our cell phone providers suck. Look through the various websites and see if someone has an offer that appeals to you. I think the government has recently limited, or possibly eliminated, the long-term contracts that we used to have to sign in order to get a "free" or low-cost device. I think all of the providers have been listed in previous posts.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:28 AM

122 posts, read 133,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodKings View Post
Hello there.

I've been reading several topics here about moving, but none with my concerns.

Quick intro:
I will be moving to Calgary in October with my wife and our dog. She will be working at U of C with everything already on the way. I'm a Software Developer with more than 10 years of experience in MS .Net. I will get an Open Work Permit, so no job offerings yet.

I'm having a bad time trying to find an apartment close to Red Line C-Train. Which I believe is the easiest way to get to U of C.

What is the normal procedure to find a good place?
Use RentFaster and other websites, call Landlords as soon as I get to Calgary to schedule a visit?
What can I do before get to Calgary? Landlords give attention to people that is not in town yet?
In addition to the web sites you already know you can try this one:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Quote:
IT companies are concentrated in downtown? Or somewhere else?
(which makes the distance to C-Train even more importante when chosing an apartment).
Best recruitment website for IT positions? Monster.ca?
There are IT companies in downtown and outside downtown. Try this web site:

http://www.sisystems.com/

Quote:
Can someone point me good stores to buy winter clothes?
This is mostly for sports goods:
Sport Chek - sports equipment, sporting goods, sports apparel, footwear at SportChek.ca

or go to a mall where there are many stores that sell clothes:
The top Family Shopping Centre in Calgary l Market Mall

Quote:
What about mobile. Telus? Bell? Rogers?

Thanks and sorry for some silly questions.
These you mentioned are the big 3. They often change plans and products so it is really hard to tell which one has an edge but in general are very similar. Cheaper alternatives are Koodo, Chat-r, Fido, etc.

In Calgary you will need a car at some point. Bring a document from your current insurance company to support you are a good driver with no car accidents or serious violations in the last X years. It may help you to get a lower car insurance rate. Get quotes from different insurance companies but I think Intact is one of the best:

Car insurance | Auto Insurance in Canada from Intact Insurance

Banks - some offer free checking accounts:

President's Choice Financial | Online Banking | That's just Good Banking

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or