Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 622 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are looking at moving over from England to Calgary next year. We are both 23. I have graduated with a BSc in Geography and I have just completed a masters degree. My boyfriend graduated with a BSc in Geology. We are both hoping to gain either jobs in the field or jobs in the corporate side of Calgary's oil and gas industry.

Our plan is to move over next year and try to gain employment as soon as possible. We would save up before the move for living (rent, food, bills etc). Our major concern is how difficult it will be to gain employment and how long it might take? We are aware living is expensive in Calgary so do not want to make the move and end up running out of money before we manage to get jobs and have to return back to England with nothing.

From what I have seen on job sites, there seem to be many jobs advertised in the environmental scientist and geology fields. How competitive are these jobs? I have applied for a few jobs in the last couple of months but I haven't heard anything back. I have heard that Calgary is a networking city and it is 'who you know'. Will being there in person increase our chances of successful job hunting as opposed to applying to jobs remotely from the UK?

We would really love to make the move success but we know there is an element of risk and want to understand just how great the risk is before committing.

Any advice you could give us would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary