Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:15 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,342,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Which would you say is a better place to live for someone who is not considered "professional" ? What I mean to say is my last job was a call center, and my degree is in criminology. I'm looking to work as a community officer, and or entry level of any kind.
My Calgary friend just was hired at a law firm.....in Edmonton. Edmonton is and always has been a "working man's" town. Edmonton is CURRENTLY having somewhat of a murder spree. Money has run out, but people still want to party like it's 1999. Edmtn. is the hub of the Oil Patch wheel, so all go through on their way to somewhere else. And everyone seems to be going ......somewhere else.

Calgary is home to the homeless. My friend owns three homes, and has zero equity. Check Kijiji and you'll see adds "if I dont sell this xxx I'm losing my truck for sure". This is about to get a lot worse. Vacancies were less than 1% two years ago and are now approaching 10%.

On the other hand, since your Degree is in Criminology we need LOTS of cops including Transit. But the move is on to hire females, minorities, and First Nations. It's a long shot even with your Degree. Call Centres? Only if you speak at least one other language besides English, and there are lots of people in Alberta that speak three or even four languages well. They'll get hired first.

My buddy in Calgary is busy making MORE JAIL DOORS for Texas. He's one of the few in Calgary right now with real job security!

On top of all that, both cities and the entire west in Canada are expensive across the board. Even with the Canadian dollar tanking my cost of living when down south is half or less than in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary