Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 12:15 AM

3,603 posts, read 3,345,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I saw something on NatGeo channel last night and am now DYING to get to Banff!!!!

Wish Canada's summers weren't so short or else I'd fly up in September to see it.. Is september a decent time to see it? Ideally, I'd like it to be sunny.... and at least mild. ?
Yes, Septembers in Banff are just fine. It's a good time of year to see it, as generally, the weather remains summery (that is, mild and sunny), but there are a lot fewer tourists. The good weather tends to last through the first part of October. Regardless, Banff is accessible year-round; and having been there in all seasons, I can say that it is enjoyable in all seasons.

Note that you cannot fly into Banff--there is no scheduled service on any airline. You'll have to fly into Calgary and rent a car. Banff is about a 90 minute drive westbound on Highway 1 from Calgary Airport. But it is worth the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 09:32 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
September is great. Late September and you'll get the start of the fall colours. Days are still nice, but evenings/nights will be crisp.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:05 PM

673 posts, read 637,031 times
Early-mid September is more than mild in Banff. Usually quite warm from what I remember. Better time to visit than July/August which is a bit too crowded for my liking.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 AM

298 posts, read 746,873 times
From what I could tell, most visitors flew into Calgary International Airport (YYC), rented a car, then drove to Banff. You can also avoid downtown Calgary by driving Highway 201 (Stoney Trail) bypassing the City Centre aroun the northern and western edges of the city limits and then to the Trans-Canada Highway west to the Banff Townsite. Throughout the national park about three quarters of the cars had a Alberta license plate with the fleet vehicle license tab stuck in the bottom right corner, meaning they were rental cars.

The great thing about go in in late August or September, is that it's still hot in Florida, very pleasant in the Canadian Rockies, and not nearly as crowded, once the kids are back in school and summer vacation season is over. Right now, at the heart of travel season, the super popular sights such as: Lake Louise, Moraine Lake,and Johnston Canyon run out of parking spaces unless you go early in the morning or later in the afternoon.

This was my first trip to Banff National Park, however previously I visited Waterton Lakes National Park and the adjoining Glacier National Park over on the Montana side the week before Labor Day and they were far less crowded than if we went a month earlier in July.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:50 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
You just have to watch your speed in the city. The Calgary Revenue Service...I mean Police Service looove them some red light cameras and photo radar. The rental company is more than happy to pass the charge along to you automatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary