U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:30 PM

7,932 posts, read 10,441,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Let's see:

Toronto--Most Diverse City in Canada™
Houston--Most Diverse City in America™

Both places have a 6-7 million metro population. Both are along large bodies of water.

Toronto has long had a highway system. Western Canada has long been neglected--for example, Calgary just completed the 201 around the city while I wait for I-215 to be completed in Las Vegas. The 401 is a wonder though.

Houston has a dense, vibrant core within the I-610 loop like Old Toronto. But it's more of the Westside Los Angeles Sunbelt style rather than the Northern NYC/Chicago style. Interestingly Toronto, Houston and Chicago were founded around the same time, but the north developed first in both countries, along with having to build for snow.

I think the Texas stereotypes are becoming dated--yes we do drive cars!
I get your point KerrTown, but Buffalo Bayou is not Lake Ontario. Really the best US analog to TO is Chicago. There's not a good comparison to Houston anywhere really. It's sort of a unique place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 AM

20,711 posts, read 25,827,959 times
Quote:

Toronto has long had a highway system. Western Canada has long been neglected--for example, Calgary just completed the 201 around the city while I wait for I-215 to be completed in Las Vegas. The 401 is a wonder though.
If the highways in Western Canada are indeed neglected, it's Western Canada (or at least its provinces) that has neglected itself. Given that highways are a provincial responsibility in Canada. Decisions about highways in Alberta (covering Calgary) are made in Alberta, not in Ottawa.

The federal government in Canada doesn't even have a highway department or branch. Yes, the feds do provide some money for highways but this is based on requests from the provinces who set their own priorities.

Ontario and Quebec have fairly extensive expressway networks due to their own initiative, which presumably is also based on their own needs.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 AM

4 posts, read 669 times
Housing is generally more affordable in Calgary vs Toronto. Since your question was based on salary, I'd say your salary will go further in Calgary based on housing alone.

As mentioned by a previous poster, Calgary isn't as sprawled out as Toronto, so your commute will likely be easier.

Calgary is close to the mountains, has amazing nearby hiking trails, and great family friendly communities and events.

I can't speak for Toronto, but have lived in Calgary almost 20 years-- feel free to reach out with any questions.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:16 PM

5,860 posts, read 6,409,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If only there were a site that aggregated all the data you would want in making that comparison. Then imagine if they hosted a forum...
www.city-data.com
If such a thing existed, then it would also make sense to post this question in that forum. If only.

Quote:
You'll find that major Canadian cities are pretty small and sparsely populated by American standards. The Greater Toronto Area is the most populous, but resembles Houston. The country lacks the megacities like NYC, LA, or Chicagoland that are found in the U.S.
Your first sentence is pretty accurate. And indeed, few countries have a NYC or LA in them. But I would say Toronto is similar to Chicago...perhaps on a smaller scale but still in about the same tier. I might even put Montreal on the same tier as Chicago, depending on the exact context.

Quote:
Also, I'll take Calgary's Chinese over anything in Texas, otherwise H-town is a foodie paradise.
Wow really?? I am surprised. Obviously you know both cities very well, but I would put Houston's Chinese food right below California, while Calgary's would come in maybe around 10th in North America.

Fwiw I have Vancouver and Toronto at 1a and 1b, and I also think ranking them is fairly subjective since we all have slightly different taste and almost no one is getting to eat at every top restaurant in every city every week for a fair comparison. My Calgary experience comes from a lone 3-day trip, where I believe we ate at 5 Chinese restaurants and went to T&T twice. That's how we travel lol...pretty much the top priority is Chinese food.

Quote:
I get your point KerrTown, but Buffalo Bayou is not Lake Ontario. Really the best US analog to TO is Chicago. There's not a good comparison to Houston anywhere really. It's sort of a unique place.
Yeah, totally agree. Houston is fairly unique and TO compares well with Chicago.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Wow really?? I am surprised. Obviously you know both cities very well, but I would put Houston's Chinese food right below California, while Calgary's would come in maybe around 10th in North America.

Fwiw I have Vancouver and Toronto at 1a and 1b, and I also think ranking them is fairly subjective since we all have slightly different taste and almost no one is getting to eat at every top restaurant in every city every week for a fair comparison. My Calgary experience comes from a lone 3-day trip, where I believe we ate at 5 Chinese restaurants and went to T&T twice. That's how we travel lol...pretty much the top priority is Chinese food.
No argument on Vancouver for #1 Chinese. Calgary, you really have to know where to go, unless it's for dim-sum, in which case there's few bad choices. Having done dim-sum in Hong Kong and Vancouver, I'd put a couple places in Calgary right with them. I'm sure there's good Chinese somewhere in Houston, I just haven't found it yet. I've had some really good individual dishes, just no great top to bottom place yet. Houston slays for pretty much everything else. I'd say it's in the top five food cities in North America. With New York, Chicago, Toronto, Houston, Vancouver, LA, San Francisco, depending on the day and what you want to eat.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
No argument on Vancouver for #1 Chinese. Calgary, you really have to know where to go, unless it's for dim-sum, in which case there's few bad choices. Having done dim-sum in Hong Kong and Vancouver, I'd put a couple places in Calgary right with them. I'm sure there's good Chinese somewhere in Houston, I just haven't found it yet. I've had some really good individual dishes, just no great top to bottom place yet. Houston slays for pretty much everything else. I'd say it's in the top five food cities in North America. With New York, Chicago, Toronto, Houston, Vancouver, LA, San Francisco, depending on the day and what you want to eat.

It depends on the criteria I imagine, but I'd say in my book and in that of many people, Montreal and New Orleans top quite a few of these cities in terms of food.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It depends on the criteria I imagine, but I'd say in my book and in that of many people, Montreal and New Orleans top quite a few of these cities in terms of food.
I would agree depending on style, but not on depth. If you want great Creole or Cajun, there's nowhere better than NOLA. However that's really it. In Chicago or Houston you can have your steaks, bbq, infinite ethnic choices that are top notch and then regional specialties too, like tex-mex or pizza etc. and still get good Cajun or Creole. I don't think LA really has anything that special other than a great taco culture, but the cultural weight of the city draws the best of everywhere there, and as a result there are lots of amazing choices.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I would agree depending on style, but not on depth. If you want great Creole or Cajun, there's nowhere better than NOLA. However that's really it. In Chicago or Houston you can have your steaks, bbq, infinite ethnic choices that are top notch and then regional specialties too, like tex-mex or pizza etc. and still get good Cajun or Creole. I don't think LA really has anything that special other than a great taco culture, but the cultural weight of the city draws the best of everywhere there, and as a result there are lots of amazing choices.
My personal view is, if we're talking about Canada's two biggest cities for example, Toronto offers a wider range of high quality options for the world's cuisines, but Montreal wins for unique, locally-sourced original and/or fusion stuff that you can't find anywhere else.

I'd say that for the latter metric, there is a case to be made for New Orleans, San Francisco and Montreal as three of the top five food cities in the U.S. and Canada.

Generally speaking, food critics and experts seem to favour the latter metric, as opposed to a place that can faithfully replicate everything from Abyssinian to Chechen to Okinawan to Mesopotamian to Patagonian... (Even if the latter offerings are not uninteresting.)

Old 10-31-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My personal view is, if we're talking about Canada's two biggest cities for example, Toronto offers a wider range of high quality options for the world's cuisines, but Montreal wins for unique, locally-sourced original and/or fusion stuff that you can't find anywhere else.

I'd say that for the latter metric, there is a case to be made for New Orleans, San Francisco and Montreal as three of the top five food cities in the U.S. and Canada.

Generally speaking, food critics and experts seem to favour the latter metric, as opposed to a place that can faithfully replicate everything from Abyssinian to Chechen to Okinawan to Mesopotamian to Patagonian... (Even if the latter offerings are not uninteresting.)
We can agree to disagree. San Francisco and the general Bay Area is probably the top. I don't believe Montreal makes the cut for a top 10. New Orleans, in the top 10, but not top five. Since we've taken this way off the rails, Calgary is probably in the top 30-50 or so.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
We can agree to disagree. San Francisco and the general Bay Area is probably the top. I don't believe Montreal makes the cut for a top 10. New Orleans, in the top 10, but not top five. Since we've taken this way off the rails, Calgary is probably in the top 30-50 or so.
Montreal actually regularly makes the top 20 *in the world* on certain foodies' rankings and even sporadically cracks the top 10.

Not to belabour the point but... look it up if you don't believe me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary