Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 10,165 times

Advertisements

How good is 100k Job offer in Calgary compared to 110k in Toronto? Is it worth making move to Calgary at that Salary? I am new immigrant to Canada but have lived in USA for 12 years... also lived in cold places like Denver, Chicago & Madison, Wisconsin.

Last edited by aprv212; 09-04-2018 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 01:21 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
If only there were a site that aggregated all the data you would want in making that comparison. Then imagine if they hosted a forum...

www.city-data.com

Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 AM

577 posts, read 1,474,534 times
110k in Toronto is good. The IT salaries in US (except for the West and East Coast) are within 100-120k US$ range. I am quite surprised that one could get 110k CAD in Toronto nowadays - presumably for a non-management position?

Toronto / Ontario weather seems more stable, too.

Re: "cold places like Denver, ...."
You gotta be kidding, right? :-) I currently live there and the weather is excellent...

Old 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
110k in Toronto is good. The IT salaries in US (except for the West and East Coast) are within 100-120k US$ range. I am quite surprised that one could get 110k CAD in Toronto nowadays - presumably for a non-management position?

Toronto / Ontario weather seems more stable, too.

Re: "cold places like Denver, ...."
You gotta be kidding, right? :-) I currently live there and the weather is excellent...
Calgary and Denver have extremely similar weather/geography. Calgary can get REALLY cold for a week or two in the winter, but overall is one of the sunniest cities in Canada.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:57 AM

577 posts, read 1,474,534 times
Never been to Calgary, but ... what about the chinook? I've got to personally know many folks moving from Ontario to Alberta, living there for a while and then decided it's not for them and going back to Ontario. Main reason quoted being unstable weather.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Calgary and Denver have extremely similar weather/geography. Calgary can get REALLY cold for a week or two in the winter, but overall is one of the sunniest cities in Canada.
Exactly that's what I could get from my research that Denver and Calgary are mostly similar. I lived in Denver for many years and always liked mountains and sun... I am assuming I would like Calgary as well and hence considering move... however, just want to make sure about cost of living.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:31 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Try this, the information in the website is usually pretty accurate: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

You'll see there's really not a heck of a lot of difference in the costs of most things although Toronto seems to be a smidgen higher (by pennies in most instances but pennies can add up though) - until you look at the housing rental prices, and then there is a bigger difference with Toronto being quite a bit higher than Calgary for housing.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 01:14 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 02:07 PM

thank you... i went through this but still would like to hear somebody's personal experience. Dont want to completely rely on these third party website as sometimes, these numbers are too generic OR outdated

Old 09-06-2018, 04:17 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprv212 View Post
How good is 100k Job offer in Calgary compared to 110k in Toronto? Is it worth making move to Calgary at that Salary? I am new immigrant to Canada but have lived in USA for 12 years... also lived in cold places like Denver, Chicago & Madison, Wisconsin.
You're much better off in Calgary on housing alone, my commute is 10 minutes vs likely over an hour in Toronto for the same housing cost. Here an hour gets you into the mountains.

IMO the weather is better in Calgary mainly because its usually sunny and always dry, i.e. NOT HUMID! You'd be amazed what a difference that makes all year although I imagine Denver is quite similar.

I've lived in both places, the quality of life is just that much better in Calgary vs TO. You couldn't pay me to live in Toronto after living here. That said, I take full advantage of the outdoor amenities year round.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 AM

Housing would be less in Calgary. Calgary is less diverse than TO, but in fairness, it's tough for anywhere in the world to be as diverse as TO. You're substituting dry skin, cracked lips and sunshine for humidity and grey. Calgary, for its size, has a far above average transit system that is well utilized. Chinooks are great, and people who don't like them are either a) prone to pressure related illness, such as migranes or b) bloody weird. You're substituting Lake Ontario and cottage country for the Rockies/Banff/skiing and infinite camping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary