Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,329 times

Advertisements

The huge difference in housing prices will make that small difference in income into nothing. Housing (both for renting and buying) is significantly cheaper in Calgary.

One extra thing that I would consider is lifestyle. Calgary wins easily if you're interested in outdoor winter sports, but Toronto wins equally easily if you're more interested in cultural activities. And for travel, with a few exceptions, it's almost always cheaper to fly out of Toronto than Calgary. I'm in the process of moving back to Canada after five years away, and I'm currently balancing those two things out myself. I've lived in both in the past and had good - but different - experiences in each, so it's just a matter of working out which elements are more important/appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprv212 View Post
Exactly that's what I could get from my research that Denver and Calgary are mostly similar. I lived in Denver for many years and always liked mountains and sun... I am assuming I would like Calgary as well and hence considering move... however, just want to make sure about cost of living.
In my opinion, the weather is better in Denver, but I digress.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:44 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
In my opinion, the weather is better in Denver, but I digress.
Moving 1000 miles south will generally do that for you.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:11 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprv212 View Post
I am new immigrant to Canada but have lived in USA for 12 years... also lived in cold places like Denver, Chicago & Madison, Wisconsin.
You'll find that major Canadian cities are pretty small and sparsely populated by American standards. The Greater Toronto Area is the most populous, but resembles Houston. The country lacks the megacities like NYC, LA, or Chicagoland that are found in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Toronto / Ontario weather seems more stable, too.
I asked my step-aunt in Toronto about the rest of Canada, and brought up Calgary. She said that the winters are much more harsher out West (aside from Vancouver).

Oddly enough Southern Ontario is sparsely populated with farms but on the other side of the lakes, you have Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Erie and Buffalo megalopolis. Also the only comparable, completed interstate highway system is there with the 400-series highways.

Western Canada lacks interstate-quality highways connecting the major Canadian cities. You won't be able to take a cross-Canadian road trip comfortably between Western and Eastern Canada without cutting through the Upper Midwest.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:36 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You'll find that major Canadian cities are pretty small and sparsely populated by American standards. The Greater Toronto Area is the most populous, but resembles Houston. The country lacks the megacities like NYC, LA, or Chicagoland that are found in the U.S.

It's a huuuge stretch to say that Toronto resembles Houston. Only the outermost suburbs might resemble the Houston area. Toronto's got a dense, vibrant, traditional urban core where millions of people live, work and play. Even the inner suburban areas of Toronto are fairly different from Houston.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Oddly enough Southern Ontario is sparsely populated with farms but on the other side of the lakes, you have Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Erie and Buffalo megalopolis. Also the only comparable, completed interstate highway system is there with the 400-series highways.

Although not quite as well maintained as Ontario's, Quebec has this as well in the southern portion of the province. Quebec's system is actually about 2400 km long, to Ontario's 2000 km.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:10 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's a huuuge stretch to say that Toronto resembles Houston. Only the outermost suburbs might resemble the Houston area. Toronto's got a dense, vibrant, traditional urban core where millions of people live, work and play. Even the inner suburban areas of Toronto are fairly different from Houston.
Toronto is nothing like Houston, if anything Calgary is a mini Houston but without the great food.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Toronto is nothing like Houston, if anything Calgary is a mini Houston but without the great food.
Calgary is Denver, almost straight up. Geographically and physically, it's nothing like Houston. It's just used as a comparison because they're both O&G cities. Also, I'll take Calgary's Chinese over anything in Texas, otherwise H-town is a foodie paradise.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Let's see:

Toronto--Most Diverse City in Canadaâ„¢
Houston--Most Diverse City in Americaâ„¢

Both places have a 6-7 million metro population. Both are along large bodies of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto has long had a highway system. Western Canada has long been neglected--for example, Calgary just completed the 201 around the city while I wait for I-215 to be completed in Las Vegas. The 401 is a wonder though.

Houston has a dense, vibrant core within the I-610 loop like Old Toronto. But it's more of the Westside Los Angeles Sunbelt style rather than the Northern NYC/Chicago style. Interestingly Toronto, Houston and Chicago were founded around the same time, but the north developed first in both countries, along with having to build for snow.

I think the Texas stereotypes are becoming dated--yes we do drive cars!

Old 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM

669 posts, read 320,652 times
Quote:
You're much better off in Calgary on housing alone, my commute is 10 minutes vs likely over an hour in Toronto for the same housing cost. Here an hour gets you into the mountains.

IMO the weather is better in Calgary mainly because its usually sunny and always dry, i.e. NOT HUMID! You'd be amazed what a difference that makes all year although I imagine Denver is quite similar.

I've lived in both places, the quality of life is just that much better in Calgary vs TO. You couldn't pay me to live in Toronto after living here. That said, I take full advantage of the outdoor amenities year round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Housing would be less in Calgary. Calgary is less diverse than TO, but in fairness, it's tough for anywhere in the world to be as diverse as TO. You're substituting dry skin, cracked lips and sunshine for humidity and grey. Calgary, for its size, has a far above average transit system that is well utilized. Chinooks are great, and people who don't like them are either a) prone to pressure related illness, such as migranes or b) bloody weird. You're substituting Lake Ontario and cottage country for the Rockies/Banff/skiing and infinite camping.
I've grown up in Toronto and agree. The main reason why I'm still here is my family's here, parents, job, got a house 10+ years ago when it was alot cheaper. For someone just moving in, a 110K is really not much if you plan to start a life here, unless you have a decent amount of savings already, plus meeting a professional level peer as your spouse.

The diversity is great though for minorities as you'll feel right in. But that usually means you'll be living downtown which has gotten 'crazy' expensive just in the last 1.5 years for both rents and condos to purchase. Commuting is another nightmare here living a bit further out if you're not used to it.

Given your familiarity with similar weather, much cheaper living costs (still suppressed so alot of good opportunity to buy a house and scoop up rentals in prime location if you have the money), less dense, I would go with Calgary first. The Toronto tech market is going to be on the rise for along time so might be good to check out Calgary first.

If you really want an urban life, have money for a Condo (ones in good location will only go up in the long-run as tons and tons of people are still flocking downtown.. but better go with at least 2 bedroom), and don't mind feeling a bit poor after your expenses, but confident you can meet a partner with similar earning power, give Toronto a try. Raising a family here without any other family help will be tough and challenging though. But doable if you're willing to compromise on commuting (suburbs still good value) or space. Also paying for higher daycare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary