U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2018, 12:37 PM
 
Location: S.W. British Columbia
6,280 posts, read 5,967,659 times
Reputation: 11207

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

The U.S. doesn't want Alberta, just their energy, and that we can just buy. Why introduce more socialism into the U.S.? It's not a good fit.

That about sums it up in a nutshell. Alberta would not be welcome to join the USA and it wouldn't be a good fit at all. It's just Canada's natural resources that USA wants.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2018, 01:25 PM
 
16,986 posts, read 9,687,324 times
Reputation: 12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That about sums it up in a nutshell. Alberta would not be welcome to join the USA and it wouldn't be a good fit at all. It's just Canada's natural resources that USA wants.


.
I'm sure that everyone's surprised at that revelation, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
1,071 posts, read 2,843,638 times
Reputation: 970
It is NDP nuts in Cananda that do not like Alberta energy production. Oil and natural gas production is good thing.

https://youtu.be/wQzwXfPOngo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
1,071 posts, read 2,843,638 times
Reputation: 970
And this interesting information regarding Alberta.

https://youtu.be/MGIrOFLevZs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Evanston & Lake Forest, Illinois
821 posts, read 372,626 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why Quebec? It's quite a bit to the left of Alberta on most issues.
I've read some articles about this. There have been polls of Quebequois in years past that have shown a surprising number of those polled would support secession from Canada and annexation by the United States. I think the belief among those people is that the United States' federal system grants states and territories much more leeway in forming their own social policies. I think that they feel that Quebec's Franco-supremacist tendencies would run into less opposition in the United States. Americans tend not to care how people in other states run their own governments. They care even less how the Puerto Ricans and Guamanians govern theirs. I think that might be true to a certain extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Evanston & Lake Forest, Illinois
821 posts, read 372,626 times
Reputation: 1096
While the relationship between Canada and the United States is mutually beneficial, Canada owes much more to the United States than the other way around in every single way. The same goes for Canada's relationship with the United Kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,944 posts, read 26,066,731 times
Reputation: 8219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I've read some articles about this. There have been polls of Quebequois in years past that have shown a surprising number of those polled would support secession from Canada and annexation by the United States. I think the belief among those people is that the United States' federal system grants states and territories much more leeway in forming their own social policies. I think that they feel that Quebec's Franco-supremacist tendencies would run into less opposition in the United States. Americans tend not to care how people in other states run their own governments. They care even less how the Puerto Ricans and Guamanians govern theirs. I think that might be true to a certain extent.
Yes I have seen polls that have showed that support for joining the U.S. is higher in Quebec than in other provinces.


People in Quebec are also more into American iconography than what you see in the rest of Canada. Even if it's still not that often, you're much more likely to see a Québécois with a U.S. flag t-shirt or cap than you'd see that on an Ontarian or a BCer.


I think a big part of all this is that the U.S. is truly a foreign, exotic place for the Québécois. Contrary to many Anglo-Canadians where the relationship is much closer to the bone.


As such, the idea of joining the U.S. for a Québécois is kind of akin to asking you if you'd leave your husband for Brad Pitt. It's so far-fetched so... what the heck.


For an Anglo-Canadian, the idea of becoming American is more akin to asking you if you'd leave your husband for his best friend or your neighbour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
7,976 posts, read 10,525,497 times
Reputation: 9498
As an Albertan now living in the States, it would never happen. Alberta, regardless of what many of my countrymen seem to think, is left of most Democrats in actual practice, not talk. Now, they may sound like republicans, but look at the policies and practices that actual money is spent on, and Alberta would easily be one of the most liberal states in the union. Culturally, it's too different. It just wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,944 posts, read 26,066,731 times
Reputation: 8219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
As an Albertan now living in the States, it would never happen. Alberta, regardless of what many of my countrymen seem to think, is left of most Democrats in actual practice, not talk. Now, they may sound like republicans, but look at the policies and practices that actual money is spent on, and Alberta would easily be one of the most liberal states in the union. Culturally, it's too different. It just wouldn't work.
I think it *could* work. And often a lot of the differences that appear insurmountable will smooth out over time when new entities are created. But I agree that at this point in history the actual "jump" that would allow this to happen is basically impossible.


But think about this. Quebec is part of Canada. If Quebec and Canada-sans-Quebec had been going about their business as independent entities for the past 150 years, would anyone seriously talk about joining them together today?


Does anyone talk about Spain joining with Portugal? About Indonesia and Malaysia merging?


Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
7,976 posts, read 10,525,497 times
Reputation: 9498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think it *could* work. And often a lot of the differences that appear insurmountable will smooth out over time when new entities are created. But I agree that at this point in history the actual "jump" that would allow this to happen is basically impossible.


But think about this. Quebec is part of Canada. If Quebec and Canada-sans-Quebec had been going about their business as independent entities for the past 150 years, would anyone seriously talk about joining them together today?


Does anyone talk about Spain joining with Portugal? About Indonesia and Malaysia merging?


Nope.
Well Malaysia did kick Singapore out...


In all honesty, I'd see Quebec and Alberta merge before either would join the US. There's far more in common between the two than differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top