U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 13 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I moving to Calgary from Toronto and found a house I like in Hawkwood is this a good area? I don't see it on any on the top 10 list for Calgary. I don't want to buy a house and find out months later that there is some big problems in that area.

Any information would be great.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

467 posts, read 216,456 times
I grew up in Hawkwood and the area is just beside the Crowfoot shopping area. There's a public library and a YMCA nearby. Very safe and quiet. Most suburbs, particularly NW and SW, look alike and are indistinguishable from one another. I'd be more concerned about the house you bought rather than the actual neighborhood.

Old Today, 12:38 AM

3 posts, read 13 times
Thank You ilovelondon

What do you mean "more concerned about the house you bought"? I haven't bought anything yet so curious about that statement, is there something wrong with the construction of the houses there?

Old Today, 01:25 AM

467 posts, read 216,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG360 View Post
Thank You ilovelondon

What do you mean "more concerned about the house you bought"? I haven't bought anything yet so curious about that statement, is there something wrong with the construction of the houses there?
No, not really. I'm just saying that Hawkwood is a very safe area and that you shouldn't be concerned about it. The southern part tends to be older as that area was built out first during the mid/late-80s. The further north you go, the newer they are (around early 90's).

Old Today, 09:39 AM

8,065 posts, read 10,607,547 times
What they're saying is to worry about the condition of the home, not where in that particular part of the NW that it's located.

As a BROAD rule, and I mean broad, stay away from the far NE/Close SE. NW/SW tend to be nicer.

Old Today, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 13 times
Thank You very much.

We don't want to pick a house and find out that the area is bad after we bought it. We will be new to the area in a month or so and we only know about Calgary from what we can read about it online. Any information is good information.

Thanks again

Old Today, 03:55 PM

8,065 posts, read 10,607,547 times
If what we're saying directionally doesn't make sense, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction. Calgary is laid out in four quadrants. NE/NW SE/SW with Centre St/Centre Ave (Memorial Drive) located just north of downtown. So you can have a 2 St and 5 Ave NE, or NW or any other quadrant.

For nicer homes, tend towards the NW/SW and the lower streets/avenues in the NE and then the far out streets/avenues in the SE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or