Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2021, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,553 times

Advertisements

Hello all, does anyone know any local tour package in Calgary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 12:21 PM

47 posts, read 32,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1357 View Post
The local tours im aware of are for outside of Calgary. I'd recommend Calgary Tours from what I have heard they give a great tour of Banff by bus and have a number of other tour options.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:45 PM

1,545 posts, read 870,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1357 View Post
I'm not sure if there is enough in the city to justify a tour, but I highly recommend Heritage Park.

Last edited by Lancerman; 09-12-2023 at 10:54 PM..

Old 09-13-2023, 10:43 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Whether the OP did a tour or not - I think that train passed a long time ago lol.

Calgary isn't chock full of activities but worth exploring. I can't imagine as a tourist going there and not renting a car though. It is the best way to get around not only the city but of course Banff and the Rockies. Heritage park is great as mentioned - also recommend the Calgary Gasoline Alley Museum while at Heritage park and check out the Peace Bridge. It is a pedestrian and cycling bridge and very modern looking - like how you'd design a bridge in the future. Designed by the eminent Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. Cross it too - super cool!

In terms of road trips obviously the Rockies but time permitting - head out to Drumheller and go to the Royal Tyrell Museum. About a 2 hour drive from Calgary and so worth it - interesting landscapes as well - pretty unique in Canada.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:47 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Yeah, there isn't a lot in Calgary to attract tourists. Football fans can attend Stampeders games at McMahon Stadium (in season, of course), and hockey fans can attend the Saddledome for Flames games (again, in season). Horse racing fans would enjoy Century Downs racetrack, a little ways north of the city. The only other thing I can think of that has not yet been mentioned is the Glenbow Museum, which offers a great look at the history of Alberta.

One favourite place I do like in Calgary is the Kensington neighbourhood (10 Street NW, at Kensington Road), which has a number of nice pubs and restaurants. Good for people-watching, especially from an outdoor patio. And Stephen Avenue (aka 8th Avenue) is a pedestrian mall, with interesting shopping, entertaining buskers, and as you might imagine, some excellent pubs and restaurants. Along the same lines is 17th Avenue South, though it's not a pedestrian mall.

The Inglewood neighbourhood (9th Ave SE, east of the Elbow River) is interesting because if you go as far as you can east, you'll find a bird sanctuary. There are walking trails, and you can often spot some birds that are not native, but are on their migration routes. But black-capped chickadees are there year-round, and can often be attracted to your hand. I've done that, and I can attest that those birds are as light as a feather.

Other things in the general area outside of Calgary would include Banff and Lake Louise, as has been stated; but I'll add Waterton Lakes National Park, which is about 2-2.5 hours south of Calgary. I've described it before as "Banff without the tourists."

Along with that, there's Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, maybe 90 minutes south of Calgary. This is one of the places where Indigenous people drove buffalo over a cliff, so as to get meat to eat, hides to keep warm through winter, and so on.

A little further to the east is Fort McLeod, which has a reconstruction of the original fort (it looks like the one in Dudley Do-Right cartoons). But it's no joke; it is a museum, and it has daily RCMP musical rides in the summer months. Along the same lines, a half-hour east is Lethbridge, which has a replica early RCMP fort, established to combat the whiskey trade in the 1970s. Business must have been brisk, because the place became known as "Fort Whoop-Up." Fun fact: Lethbridge has a main artery named "Whoop-Up Drive," and the local horse race track is sometimes called, "Whoop-Up Downs."

Kananaskis Provincial Park is a nice daytrip from Calgary. It has a number of hiking trails, and outfitters offering horseback trail rides.

Vulcan, Alberta, roughly an hour and change south of Calgary is a magnet for Star Trek fans, and hosts "Spock Days," its annual fair. Nanton, Alberta, also about an hour south, has a WWII aviation museum, and many, many antique stores.

A little further than everything mentioned, but still within a daytrip, is the Frank Slide, where a collapsing mountain buried a town; and Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park.

Southern Alberta has much in the way of tourist and cultural attractions to offer, but little of it is in the city of Calgary, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary