U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 7,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I've never been to Canada before, but always wanted to take a trip north, especially to visit Alberta, Calgary, maybe Edmonton, Banff National Park, etc. I'm from Colorado and I heard that Alberta is similar to Colorado, just colder. I've also heard statements before like "Alberta is the most American-like province in Canada." Is that true? How would you compare Alberta/Calgary with Colorado/Denver? I know that Frontier airlines flies direct between the two cities-- I could be there one flight away. What are your thoughts? Is Alberta definitely worth checking out?
Yes definintely. Calgary is the best city to live in, Alberta is the best province to live in and Canada is the best country to live. Edmonton is alot like Winnipeg, Manitoba, flat and cold. A drive to Banff from Calgary is under an hour and you will see some beautiful landscapes. Lake Louise is only a half hour from Banff and its breathtaking. I moved here from Manitoba 3 years ago (flat and cold) and I just love the mountain scenery. The Rockies are clearly visible from Calgary high ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 AM

24,018 posts, read 16,649,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_czl View Post
I checked out some pics online about Banff National Park, Wow! I wonder what it will be like if go there in person.
Did you check out the photography forum? I posted a lot of photos of Banff, and Kananaskis there. Both are a short drive from Calgary, and let me say the pictures don't do it justice...Nothing like being there!

National Park photos

Old 03-23-2008, 09:00 PM

19 posts, read 82,956 times
Quote:
Yes definintely. Calgary is the best city to live in, Alberta is the best province to live in and Canada is the best country to live.
Hrm, I'm Canadian and from the Calgary area and I'm sorry to say, i don't agree :/ To each his/her own however. I think it's pretty common for Calgarians to think it's the best place on the map, and many do.

Calgary is an expensive place where inflation is over 5%, housing costs have risen very quickly, and it's generally a very urban-sprawlish kind of place. You will see it from the plane. Banff, Lake Louise.... yes these are truly awesome places to check out. Well worth a trip. Very natural and they feel very special. Those are vacation spots however, it'd be like living in Vale, CO if you were to live there.

As for relocating from Colorado, I probably wouldn't. Personally I like Colorado a lot more. The Calgary area feels culturally devoid but it's a good place to raise kids, and thats what is mostly going on here. Most of the city is cookie-cutter xerox neighborhoods of basically identical housing, and the transit infrastructure is straining heavily to keep up.

The reason people say it's the most "American" province is because of the values upheld here, and the fact that there are more Americans living in Calgary than any other Canadian town. Many of them are here working for oil companies because Calgary is home base for various large oil companies. In Calgary, there were PRO WAR demonstrations at the outbreak of war in Iraq, something pretty much unheard of in the rest of Canada. Its a very suburban culture of couples raising children and driving their trucks to work at the oil companies, and its very cold much of the year with temperatures reaching -40 fahrenheit. There is a general sense of pride because Calgarians think their town is the best in the country. As stated above, it really IS a lot like Texas.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 AM

23 posts, read 153,758 times
I actually live in Canmore (which is right next to Banff) right now in the absolutely stunning "Three Sisters Mountain Village". I must say that I'm a west-coaster for life so I will probably always live in Alberta, BC, Washington or California (all have their distinctive charms). The Canadian Rockies are a definite must-see but I'm not so sure that living here is for everyone. The rents are extremely high and much of the town of Canmore consists of Calgary weekenders. They buy houses here, drive the cost of living up and then wonder why no one that has to work can afford housing here (thus creating a terrible job crisis). However if you have your own business and enjoy small town life this is an incredible place! I have tons of pics and info on the area plus I grew up in Edmonton so if anyone has any questions about life here please let me know

Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,809 times
Hi, i live in England and have applied to emigrate to Alberta, which am hoping to hear soon!!! We have been looking for the best place to settle there, can you advise?? Any info would be great. Thanks Paula

Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 PM

1,132 posts, read 827,117 times
I have to agree with Esher1430, I can't stand Calgary. It's VERY suburban.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I have to agree with Esher1430, I can't stand Calgary. It's VERY suburban.
I'm sure he appreciates your agreement......two years after the original post.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,464,167 times
I grew up in southern Alberta and will tell you there are many similarities between Calgary and Denver. Both are just east of the Rockies, both get temperature inversions in the morning and both get chinook winds. The weather is milder than even 50 miles east.
The oil patch in Alberta is stable and keeping the economy strong. As mentioned above, people from all over Canada are moving there for jobs.
Pop down to Lethbridge go west and hit Waterton National Park. It's adjacent to Montana's Glacier National Park. My old stomping grounds. RP

Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 PM

1,132 posts, read 827,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm sure he appreciates your agreement......two years after the original post.
It made it back to the top of the list. I didn't look to see when it started.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:27 AM

43 posts, read 93,889 times
It really depends what you like.

If you're into city life, the urban culture, cafés, restaurants, architecture, etc., Calgary is not your best bet in Canada. Montréal, Toronto or Vancouver would be your city of choice. Calgary is very suburban, the downtown core is mostly dead after 6PM, and the city itself is really nothing that special.

If you're into the outdoors, it's a great place to be. You can see the mountains from high ground in Calgary, and the drive is quite scenic. An hour away from the Rockies and amazing scenery, great parks, nature, countless activities - it's quite the treat.

As a Calgarian once told me, "Calgary is a city where you make money, and spend it elsewhere."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary