U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,955,109 times

Advertisements

distortion: sure but the problem is that Canada brags about being progressive and not racist and wont even apologize or recognize that they have racism like everyone else does.

i have lived with many canadians from Alberta, Ottawa, Quebec and BC and they all think that they can not be racist even though the history of their treatment of Asians and First Nations people is well reported, and now with this issue, i would hope they would know that they are not immuned to racist behavior. YouTube had to catch it on film

Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,171,830 times
Quote:
Canada brags about being progressive and not racist and wont even apologize or recognize that they have racism like everyone else does.
Why would the Government of Canada apologize for the actions of some nightclub owners?

As far as not recognizing the fact that racism, (and other isms), exist in Canada, the establishment and continued support of Human Rights Tribunals with powerful mandates in every province would seem to deny that assertion.

Similarly, if the historic maltreatment of Asians and First Nations treatments is, in your words, "well reported", then it would seem that the isssues are indeed being acknowledged.

As dullnboring said, only a fool, regardless of their place of origin, would say that racism doesn't exist in any location. Perhaps that great number of Canadians you've lived with have all been fools?

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 04-20-2007 at 03:34 AM..

Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM

911 posts, read 3,203,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Recent discrimination against black males attempting to go to night clubs, shed light that canada is not as progressive as it portrays. and the response to the spotlight was as milktoast as if one didnt do anything about it.

beware my brothers.

IMHO--Nightclubs suck for MOST peeps....

Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,955,109 times
do they?? i dont know when i was younger and not a believer i went to them and most people packed them. They pack them everynight here in Philly and up in NYC and DC, but I dont know about other places anymore.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,694,479 times
Quote:
distortion: sure but the problem is that Canada brags about being progressive and not racist and wont even apologize or recognize that they have racism like everyone else does.

i have lived with many canadians from Alberta, Ottawa, Quebec and BC and they all think that they can not be racist even though the history of their treatment of Asians and First Nations people is well reported, and now with this issue, i would hope they would know that they are not immuned to racist behavior. YouTube had to catch it on film
Unfortunately, racism has no boundaries and is global. And Canada has apologized to Aboriginal people and to the Asian Peoples for past injustices.
(eg., Residential schools for Aboriginal peoples, internment of Japanese people during WW2) and there has also been compensation to both groups.

Now as far as I know, (and I might be wrong) Canadians imprisoned by the Japanese during WW 2 never received compensation from the Japanese government for the extreme brutalities inflicted on prisoners of war during the occupation of Hong Kong.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 PM

71 posts, read 372,637 times
Well, I know a very white girl near Calgary who ADORES black men. Thus, if any black men are interested in a Canadian girl, let me know! LOL! I'll send you to her myspace account. She's my good friend and talks to everyone as long as you are respectful.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 AM

606 posts, read 507,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Unfortunately, racism has no boundaries and is global. And Canada has apologized to Aboriginal people and to the Asian Peoples for past injustices.
(eg., Residential schools for Aboriginal peoples, internment of Japanese people during WW2) and there has also been compensation to both groups.

Now as far as I know, (and I might be wrong) Canadians imprisoned by the Japanese during WW 2 never received compensation from the Japanese government for the extreme brutalities inflicted on prisoners of war during the occupation of Hong Kong.
Canadians are not immigrants,they don't have Japanese citizenships.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,694,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
Canadians are not immigrants,they don't have Japanese citizenships.
Well, we were all immigrants at one stage or another. I was just mainly pointing out that Canadians have at least tried to acknowledge wrongs done to people of other races. And I am Aboriginal too---so I've had my fair share
of racial experiences as well.

Lots of people do hold dual citizenship. I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make. No need to get snarky. Were you talking about the fact that Japanese-Canadians were wrongly interned, or the fact that it was Canadians from every racial background who were so badly mistreated in Hong Kong during WW2.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 AM

82 posts, read 562,143 times
Quote:
Recent discrimination against black males attempting to go to night clubs, shed light that canada is not as progressive as it portrays. and the response to the spotlight was as milktoast as if one didnt do anything about it.

beware my brothers.
I dunno, sounds to me like Carolinajack had a poopy time in Calgary, and got treated like crap at some point somewhere because (or was made to feel it was because) you're black. Well, if I had the same experience, I'd probably leave a similar post. I think local knowledge might have been able to help jack a little. Sounds to me like you went to a crappy bar, a local insight might have helped.
I woulda just left it at that. The "shed light on Canada" bit is a bit dramatic. Does anyone honestly believe that there's a country anywhere that doesn't have rascism??!?!? I'm sorry you had a crappy time in Calgary, it's a rapidly growing city that's also quite multi-cultural. It's in the midst of a major oil boom, and people from all over the world have been flooding there. It might be having some growing pains. But, that being said, there are hundreds of thousands of really good people there, and good bars, and I hope you will one day give Calgary another chance. It might not hurt to say which bar you went to so the rest of us could avoid it

Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 PM

34 posts, read 139,389 times
I can't believe that people are actually wasting time responding to Carolinajack, myself included! I agree with dreameyes, I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find any city anywhere in this messed up world that doesn't have it's share of discrimination be it against blacks, asians, whites, women, gays, lesbians and the beat goes on......... come on now, we are all discriminated against in one way or another ~ not just the black males.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary