U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 AM

31 posts, read 131,024 times

Advertisements

Well said, slarca.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 AM

550 posts, read 2,547,170 times
"Well, we were all immigrants at one stage or another. "

Sorry, I have to say in my bloodline none of us are immigrants. 100% Plains Cree. Not many people can say that.

Here in Vancouver we have such a mix of races I do believe there is less racism. Although you always have your idiots in the bunch who are un-educated you know whats and have to speak their very wrong attitudes to others.

Being First Nations isn't very accepted either and I am in my "home country". It's too bad in this day in age people still have such backwards a** attitudes.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 PM

110 posts, read 536,907 times
Calgary is fairly racist when it comes to things like nightclubs. I was born and raised there so I should know. I'm not black, but I remember some bars would not let me in because I wasn't white. Ofcourse they wouldn't say that, only "sorry it's full tonight" or "only 25 and over", which was obviously completely made up as anyone else could easily get in. I don't look like a gangster or anything. No sour grapes for me though since I don't really like clubbing that much anyway so I don't really care.
What you will notice in Calgary clubs is that virtually all the them have 95% white people in it with the exception of maybe 3 clubs that I can think of off the top of my head. So if you're not white, and you actually want to be in a club that has more than 10% visible minorities, you really only have 3 clubs to choose from, which can get boring really quickly. I don't mind going to other clubs, but it just kind of feels weird being the only person of color, and some bars start randomly playing country music and line-dancing ensues.

I haven't really had any racism in the city outside of those instances though. But the thing is that Calgary has about 80% caucasian population, and 20% visible minorities (mostly Asians and East Indians, a few Black and Latin). For the most part, ethnicities hang out with each other so it can feel quite segregated. But I guess that's multiculturalism for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary