Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:53 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I just bought a house in an area which is not so great, but the cul-de-sac looked quiet. I was stupid and blinded by the house, ignoring the neighborhood . My husband did not say anything either. We noticed that the glass entrance door is very old and easy to break in, through the glass or just with a credit card. We took that as a sign, that it is a save area and people are not worried about break-ins.

We closed last week and started the renovations. I opened my eyes to the neighborhood.

The house next door with the thick curtains half ripped off still has the christmas lights on the house.

The house 2 doors further has alot of people living in there (Mexicans), who park 6 cars around the house and in front of our house. The guys are wearing undershirts all the time. Yesterday their pitbulls escaped and chased kids on bikes. The owners yelled them back right before they reached the screaming kids.

We installed an alarm system. We have a gun. I know how to use it. We have a big dog (not very scary looking though). My husband is getting deployed to Afghanistan in August for 7 months. He told me not to walk the dog at night. Ever.

The crime report is ok for our little cul-de-sac and the 2 streets around that.

Please, people, tell me that I am overreacting. I am paranoid and scared. I need some positive input. I come from Germany, where I walked to the club in my miniskirt in the middle of the night and did not feel scared at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 04:07 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
We installed an alarm system. We have a gun. I know how to use it. We have a big dog. My husband is getting deployed to Afghanistan in August for 7 months. He told me not to walk the dog at night. Ever.
In what part of California are you living?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Oxnard in Ventura County. We will be the white couple on the block. One neighbor is black, everybody else Mexican.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 PM

282 posts, read 382,412 times
LOL are you serious? Who buy's a house without researching the area, also if no crime is taking place what are you scared of? Other than Mexicans.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 PM

I did research the area. There is a gang/crime/stuff going on in several parts of the city. Except where the rich people live and we are not rich

Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
although your fears are not unfounded, i think you are jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly. if anything, you should probably try to befriend your new neighbors and have them be on your side rather than against you. just because you are white and they are mexican doesn't automatically mean that they will try to harass you. most mexicans that i have met are nice, family oriented people. you just have to watch out for the male teens (of any race), they are the ones who usually cause the most trouble.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM

I do not care about their race. The pitbulls chasing kids and wearing undershirts all day makes me worry.

I am not worried about getting raped, I am too tall for their taste
There are alot of car break ins in the area and I park my car always in the garage.
I am mostly concerned about walking my dog and not getting robbed, and house break ins. The security system doesn't cover all rooms.

You suggest to go to their house, knock on the door and introduce myself? I thought so, too. I thought, if they like me, they leave me alone. But somebody told me, not to be too friendly and invite them in my house so they can see our electronics.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
you could go that route or you could just strike up a conversation with them if you both happen to be out in front of your houses at the same time. while you're at it, mention that you have a dog. maybe try to find a way to have a controlled meeting with both of your dogs. as for inviting people into your house, i wouldn't do that with complete strangers no matter who they were and my electronics would only be a small part of the reason why.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:03 PM

This is a good idea with meeting the neighbors, I will do that. And I try to not be too friendly and let them find out that my husband is leaving soon. Any suggestions what I tell people in a few months, if they ask me, if I live alone? Lying to them and saying, my husband is working late wouldn't be convincing for long.

He comes home in uniforms every day and when he is not coming home anymore, they can figure out, what is going on.

I don't want to get near their dogs.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
and wearing undershirts all day makes me worry.
It's summer. It's California. You will find that everywhere here! Shorts, flip flops, and a tank top...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California