U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Suddath View Post
Folks,

Diane has posted a passionate plea above about how you should go to movingscam.com and use the two recommendations on that site (ABF Upack and Broadway Express).

DON'T BELIEVE A WORD OF IT AND DON'T USE COMPANIES RECOMMENDED BY MOVINGSCAM!

Contrary to what she says, Diane is a paid representative for Movingscam.com. Movingscam collects money from ABF Upack and Broadway Express for the business that is referred from that site. The whole site is a big marketing hoax designed to scare consumers into using the companies that pay for positive mention. If you don't pay, your posts get deleted.

Movex is a great company that has been providing self-service moving for over 10 years. The surveys that are listed on its site are real surveys from real customers. Moving with Movex is a great choice and you will not be disappointed.

Stuart Suddath
CEO
Movex, Inc.
800-876-6839

Why does Movex have a B- rating with the local BBB???? My concern is what assurances can a "broker" give.

And what about fritzgb1??? not feeling confidant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM

60 posts, read 154,000 times
Thanks for the great info here. I was considering Movex or ABF.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,505 times
Default Movex Nightmare

My friend and I just used Movex and had a nightmare moving experience. Movex totally misrepresents its services. We went with Movex because they said they owned and operated their own trucks and never took anything but household goods. The driver who showed up at our door was contracted from Generic and said he often took other kinds of freight than household goods. We were also told it would be no problem to get extra space if we needed it, which we ended up needing about an extra foot. The driver even told us at the beginning of the load that there was extra space. Half-way through the load, when it became clear we needed extra space, suddenly there was none to be had. Unfortunately, it was too late to call customer service at Movex to figure out what to do. (While Movex says it has after-hours service, it offers just a message line and no one calls you back. The driver was supposed to be there at 2 pm but showed up at 5 pm so we never had a chance to talk to customer service when problems came up.) We had already loaded the books and other items that would have been cheaper to ship, so we were stuck with about 18 boxes left over that had to go UPS and USPS for over $700, plus several odd-shaped and large items that weren't really shippable and had to be left behind. Had we gotten the extra one foot of space, we would only have had to pay about $180 and been saved a day and a half of stress and pain getting those boxes shipped. Movex's customer service solution was to pick up the extra freight for an mere $1000 on top of what we already paid them.
To add to the normal stress of loading a moving truck, our driver's 7 and 9-year-old children were with him and played in and around the truck the entire time we were loading and unloading. They took the dolly to play with while we still needed it, and ran up and down the ramps while we were moving in and out of the truck.
Another issue with the space on the truck, when Movex says the space is 8.5' by 9' and that there's a wall in between loads, that's not really true. The "walls" are 4' x 8' pieces of plywood that leave a 1' gap at the top of the load. We had planned to put small and thin things at the top of the load, but we couldn't use that space because our stuff would have fallen into someone else's stuff behind the wall. The walls are secured by bars that are about 3-4" thick that cut into the space, so the wall can't be used to make a nice, flat stack of boxes.
Our problems didn't end with the space on the truck. We were originally given an unload date of Monday, 6 July, but the driver called on Thursday, the 2nd to say he needed to unload a day early. We told Movex we couldn't physically be there since we had 2400 miles to drive, plus we wouldn't have any moving help, but Movex wouldn't budge. The driver threatened to just dump our stuff. Having to drive 2400 miles in barely three days and then unload a truck was a nightmare.

If we had it to do over again, we would NEVER use Movex.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,031 times
Angry Movex is horrible

I am telling you DO NOT use this company. They precharged me $1000 for a move that I scheduled a month in advanced. I had to be out of my apartment by the next day. THEY NEVER CAME!!!!!!!! I was calling leaving messages for the ONE lady they said could help me. I had to spend a TON of money last minute to get a different company to pick up my stuff. It was an awful experience and the people were extremely rude. They did refund my money though at least. Their mistake cost me a lot.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,602 times
Exclamation Movex, Inc's Broken Promises!

I want all possible Movex customers to be aware that you might be left high and dry by Movex, Inc. after planning a move and signing a contract.

I had a contract signed six weeks prior to my move, which was scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 26, 2010. I had contracted for 6 feet of truck space picking up in Concord, MA and delivering to Bend, OR. On Friday at 6pm on the 24th, less than 48 hrs before my move, I was informed there was no truck available for my move on Sunday. The unsympathetic and unapologetic customer service guy just sounded like a robot on the phone (what a difference from the great sales guy who I signed the contract with!) He wanted to know if I had any flexibility in my move date but couldn't tell me when they could get a truck there... so, thinking it was worth it to wait in order to save money, I decided to try to wait a few days (even though I was only in MA for 10 days and had flown my BF in for the weekend to help me move and he'd be gone! what a fiasco!)

After 5 days of broken assurances from Movex that they were likely to find me a truck (any day now!) and broken promises about returned phone calls (each day they would say someone would call me in the morning and I wouldn't hear from them), I finally called U-Pack (ABF). I wish I'd saved myself the trouble and booked with them to begin with. I even saved money because I picked up the shipment myself at their Portland, OR facility. They were able to have a truck to Concord 2 days later, the driver was friendly, and they are a large enough company that you know they have their stuff together.

Movex has to contract out to trucks and drivers for most of their moves - their own truck fleet is very limited. If you sign a contract with them, know that the risk is there that they will not find you a truck and that I was not notified until 36 hours prior (and on a weekend!). If you must go with Movex, ask for the contract to be revised to include more reparations if a truck does not show on the move date.

Buyer beware... Movex has great sales guys and a good website but the stress was terrible and the service was a total failure. And adding insult, after I cancelled with Movex, they sent me a generic form letter saying 'it was regrettable we couldn't come to a mutually benefitial move date for you'.... you have gotta be kidding me.

Karen

Old 10-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,203,158 times
Just noting, there are an awful lot of posts in this topic by "members" with only one post. I put more credence in C-D members who have hundreds or thousands of posts.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,031 times
I made an account just to talk about how awful this company (Movex) is because I was so upset. They really made my life difficult by not showing up. I'm not a big forum person but I thought it was really important to share so maybe I could help someone.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 PM

652 posts, read 2,055,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melihubb View Post
I made an account just to talk about how awful this company (Movex) is because I was so upset. They really made my life difficult by not showing up. I'm not a big forum person but I thought it was really important to share so maybe I could help someone.
you should have used these forums as well as Google like I had because I read countless complaints about MoveX all over the place when checking a few years back.
ABF had gotten hundreds of POSITIVE reviews on the other hand!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 AM

8 posts, read 57,965 times
Since this is back near the top, I had a great experience with ABF U-Pack, moving from NC to CA. Not a thing broken, great price, everything was excellent. All their promises kept 100%, completely smooth sailing.

To save a bit of money (and because parking sucked at the apartments on both ends of the trip) I used my own pick-up and a couple of friends to load the trailer at their depot, and then hired a small operation (2 guys, 1 small box truck, local guy found on craigslist) at the destination to unload the trailer at their depot and get the stuff into my new apartment.

A great experience, highly recommended.

I know several people now that have also had great experiences with their little pod-looking things, the "Cube" or whatever it's called.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
This company MOVEX (tampa, FL) failed to honor its contract to move my household from MA to CA last summer (2010). When I filed a BBB complaint the company replied that I didn't have a right to complain because I was never their customer. Isn't that ironic - they take my deposit, promise me a Sunday move date and then call to say they won't have a truck for me until until Wednesday - is that okay? No, it wasn't okay with me or the commitments I had made based on moving on Sunday (or at least Monday). So because I didn't respond to their BBB reply within 30 days since the email was lost in my spam filter, the complaint was marked "resolved". So when you look at the low grade for this company at the BBB - realize that many of those "resolved" complaints are actually ones like mine where the person didn't reply in time and the issue was never actually resolved. I did have a decent experience with U-Pack from ABF.

I had to rent a U-haul, tow my sedan with pets in the car (dangerous I know) and spend several hundred dollars more than I was quoted to move my household within my move timeframe. It was very stressful to drive a 17ft truck with a towed car over 3,000 miles.

I understand moves often are delayed by a day - but three days??? That is unacceptable. Yes, they did offer a discount if I accepted their new move date - but it wouldn't cover the lost cost of state park hotels and movers that were not refundable. Not to mention living in an empty house for three days with nothing to do but wait for the movers...everything was packed for a long distance move.

The company does get high marks for honesty because they at least called me 1 day before my move (which I booked 4 months in advance). If they hadn't contacted me - I would be suing them right now.

In conclusion - yes, this company seems professional and gave a good quote and if they were to actually perform the contracted service - may be acceptable - however, they don't own their trucks so they can only cross their fingers and hope one is available when you need it - even if you reserved it months in advance.

If I needed a low budget move again (which I will) I would use ABF which I used for a cross-country move 4 years ago. If you read about all of the possible problems with their trucks and prepare - it's a good move experience given you are trying to save money and not drive the truck yourself. If you don't mind driving, Uhaul does have some newer trucks that are comfortable to drive and not as shoddy as I'd feared. I might try Penske too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or