U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,521 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our family is moving from a smaller area outside of San Antonio, TX (military) and are not sure which military base would be best for housing? Husband will actually work in Los Alamitos. We would like to feel safe and have "easy" access to nice things in the area and decent housing. Do any of the bases fit in that category? We have 4 kids.Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 32,158 times
The city of Los Alamitos is nice. Some other cities you may consider are Seal Beach, Cypress, and La Palma. It's a small base as there is no commissary.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 PM

30,226 posts, read 16,759,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTroutman View Post
The city of Los Alamitos is nice. Some other cities you may consider are Seal Beach, Cypress, and La Palma. It's a small base as there is no commissary.
I fully agree with this assessment. I work in Los Alamitos, and not only is it nice, but very safe. Since Los Alamitos is a small city, the police response time is VERY quick!

The other three cities mentioned are also nice areas in which to live.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 PM

10 posts, read 54,180 times
I would suggest ruling Fort MacArthur out. Especially given that the two previous posters have good things to say about Los Alamitos.

My husband is in the Air Force and is stationed at Los Angeles AFB. The base housing for LAAFB is on Ft Mac. Ft Mac itself is nice...inside the gate. But the area just outside and surrounding the gate is horrible. The townhouses on Ft Mac are old and look a little run down to me. There are lots of nice little suburbs in SoCal that I think would be better than the base housing.

But if you do decide that base housing is right for your family, Ft Mac has a fitness center, youth center, almost everything a normal base/post has except for a BX/PX and commissary. Those are located on LAAFB...the commissary and BX are brand new, but aren't very impressive, especially if you're used to the commissaries and BX's in San Antonio.

BTW...I'm from San Antonio...born and raised!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,993 times
I ran across these postings and thought I would give my first hand experience. BTW, I am also from San Antone- born and raised

My wife, son and I moved to Ft Mac from the UK. The previous poster was correct, the grounds on Ft Mac are very nicely maintained and all of the amenities of a base are located on the base (minus the gas station and commisary)

I think it is a good way to transition to this area. It alleviates the hassle of finding after hours child care and other issues related to PCSing to a new area.

The base housing is now contracted out to a management company and are called Tierra Vista? We moved out just as the transfer took place. We moved only because the location itself is not very convenient. My wife works in Santa Monica and the commute on the 405 freeway to San Pedro was horrendous! Anyhow, we now live in Culver City, a nice suburb between Santa Monica and San Pedro. You do have to make some sacrifices to live in the community and keep it within an affordable range. Townhouse style apartments seem to be the smartest way to go without exceeding the housing allowance by too much. But you do sacifice a yard and if you have more than one child this may be difficult.

San Pedro itself is not the nicest area, but we didn't really do too much in that area when we lived there...probably for that reason.

Hope this info helps on your decision.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 14,158 times
This is an old thread, but I'll add to it in the chance that another military family is coming in.
First of all Los Alamitos is nowhere near Ft. Mac. The first poster was correct. Find a house to rent in any of the nearby communities --all are nice and most have good schools. Your housing allowance should be enough to cover the rents here in SoCal. With the current devaluation of housing values running close to 30%, you might even find a foreclosure to buy! It's a great time to buy, if you can find a bank to make the loan.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,551 times
I have chimed in on the recent posts. I am a little confused by one of the posts that Los Alamitos is far Fort Mcarthur. Is the commute to Los Alamitos very far. I have executed mapquest, and accoring to the map, the distance between the two locations is only 23 miles. I currently live in on a Naval Base, on the North side of Chicago, but i work in the city. The distance is approximately 30 miles, bu only 25-30 minutes commute.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,889,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarter1 View Post
I have chimed in on the recent posts. I am a little confused by one of the posts that Los Alamitos is far Fort Mcarthur. Is the commute to Los Alamitos very far. I have executed mapquest, and accoring to the map, the distance between the two locations is only 23 miles. I currently live in on a Naval Base, on the North side of Chicago, but i work in the city. The distance is approximately 30 miles, bu only 25-30 minutes commute.
Its 23 miles through a very congested urban area with some of the worst traffic in the country. Besides, here's no reason to live that far away from a job in Los Alamitos.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,428,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its 23 miles through a very congested urban area with some of the worst traffic in the country. Besides, here's no reason to live that far away from a job in Los Alamitos.
Pretty much. It's a ridiculous commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or