Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I just didn't really feel "at home" in SO CA as I got older...The culture changed so much through the years and "image" and "status" became "all and everything." It wasn't this way when I was small...Also I got tired of all the sprawl and non-stop development and the bumper-to-bumper traffic and crowds and long lines in stores etc...Life in CA just didn't fit me anymore and I decided to move away...to a small town in AZ...Now my "small town" has grown "big" and I am getting set to make another move before too long.
It might not be sbout CA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM

137 posts, read 327,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I'm getting the same impression. I had found curmudgeon's posts stimulating but they're starting to seem characterized by little but sentiment with CA's past and discontent with its present. Losing interest.

+1, the rednecks that I've known would probably be thought of as "real nice folks" by some but to those unlike them, they don't fit any idyllic image.

As for their reaction to unlike-minded people, violence really could be the reaction, under the pretense of "setting things right" or some other crude expression.

You mean the freedom to be irresponsible and not think about how your actions might be detrimental to anyone or thing? You'll find that in "real America".

and.. here''s the most common misconception of environmentalism- that it's the California mentality. Well, no. Environmentalism, like any school of thought, has its origin in not just one place, if any. Academics and other participants in any discussion of environmentalism include people far and wide outside of California.

But.. never mind. You'll still refer to it as the California mentality.
Yes! I think we largely should have the freedom to be "irresponsible" -- generally speaking, nature and humanity have a way of taking care of irresponsible actions. But that is the subject of a deeper debate that I don't wish to enter into via this forum. And I know that environmentalism is not just a California concept, for goodness sakes! I'm just saying that, as a political movement (which often has little to do with love of the earth), environmentalism is out of control in California and is ruining our lives.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Why do you want to move out of California? If you've already moved away what were your reasons for leaving California? Just curious...Thanks.
If the OP is still interested, since it's gone a bit off topic, here's our reasons:

cost of living
crime
population density
weather
air quality

While we hope to never return as residents, I don't knock CA as it's another part of this diverse Nation and I know there are others who find it fits them perfectly

Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ofus View Post
Yes! I think we largely should have the freedom to be "irresponsible" -- generally speaking, nature and humanity have a way of taking care of irresponsible actions. But that is the subject of a deeper debate that I don't wish to enter into via this forum. And I know that environmentalism is not just a California concept, for goodness sakes! I'm just saying that, as a political movement (which often has little to do with love of the earth), environmentalism is out of control in California and is ruining our lives.
But if your 'freedom' to be irresponsible destroys an entire species, pollutes a lake or ruins someone else's property (like what was done when my parents neighbors dumped used oil on his property and it flowed down to my parents garden ruining a good solid half acre of veggies.... Hey, it was his property, right?) the where do we draw the line?

I'm definitely not a 'rabid environmentalist' but I have noticed that a lot of people are stupid and selfish. As long as it's good for them, screw everyone else, and they will take the rest of us with them. Personally, I'm not okay with that.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If the OP is still interested, since it's gone a bit off topic, here's our reasons:

cost of living
crime
population density
weather
air quality

While we hope to never return as residents, I don't knock CA as it's another part of this diverse Nation and I know there are others who find it fits them perfectly
Oddly I live in CA and have none of those issues.

Median Home price is 200K, women can walk alone at night in complete safety, low population density, we have four seasons and the air quality varies between good and pristine.

Perhaps the OP should ask why did you move out of the part of CA you were in. We all don't live in the greater LA area.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Median Home price is 200K, women can walk alone at night in complete safety, low population density, we have four seasons and the air quality varies between good and pristine.

Perhaps the OP should ask why did you move out of the part of CA you were in. We all don't live in the greater LA area.
Good point, guess I should have stated the reasons of why we moved out of the Fresno area

Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Median home price, $200K where do you live? This is not the case throughout California.

Nita

Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Median home price, $200K where do you live? This is not the case throughout California.
Exactly, it's way high. You can still get into nice homes in the high desert for under 50k.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
Note my Location.

Fact is, Central Valley, Eastern and non urban North CA are not expensive.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM

14 posts, read 11,663 times
Thumbs down Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Exactly, it's way high. You can still get into nice homes in the high desert for under 50k.
You just contradicted yourself, or attempted to make a joke and failed, or forgot a zero, or are poor beyond all belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California