Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

Celebrity cruises has two stops in CA as apart of their West coast cruises in Monterey and Santa Barbara. Perhaps Morro Bay could be added as a stop in the future? When I worked in the tourism business in SB, I remember many tourists taking trips to Santa Ynez for wine or Solvang for the Danish Village. Others went around SB to the Funk Zone or zoo if it was their first time there. If a shop anchored in Morro Bay, tourists could travel into SLO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 05:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Celebrity cruises has two stops in CA as apart of their West coast cruises in Monterey and Santa Barbara. Perhaps Morro Bay could be added as a stop in the future? When I worked in the tourism business in SB, I remember many tourists taking trips to Santa Ynez for wine or Solvang for the Danish Village. Others went around SB to the Funk Zone or zoo if it was their first time there. If a shop anchored in Morro Bay, tourists could travel into SLO.
I could be wrong, but my hunch is that Morro Bay's harbor, which is man made, doesn't have deep enough water to be a port for a large cruise ship.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Thank goodness you don't have any influence in what happens in SLO County. And thank goodness most of this area is a Marine Protected Area. Cruise ships? Really?

Old 07-24-2016, 07:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,780 times
You going to hate me, but

A) Morro Bay is in a severe financial crisis. The city is looking to dis-incorporate.

B) SLO county is backward and very poor.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:13 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoslswoal View Post
You going to hate me, but

A) Morro Bay is in a severe financial crisis. The city is looking to dis-incorporate.

B) SLO county is backward and very poor.
All of SLO County is backward and very poor??

Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 7,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
All of SLO County is backward and very poor??
Most of it is. Look at the link I just posted. One tract in SLO was 80% in poverty.

SLO has a ton of trailer parks to, reminds me of Florida for those of you with enough money to ever travel.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:23 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
If a ship anchored in Morro Bay, it would ruin Morro Bay.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:50 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
The harbor entrance is too narrow and the shipping channel curves too tightly to accommodate a late-construction cruise ship. No tugs home ported in the harbor either to give a hand. As mentioned, the inner harbor ship channel is very, very narrow and way too shallow. (hint: It is possible to download digital harbor charts) Does Morro Bay even have a dock large enough to accommodate a cruise ship? And even if it did, there is no 'turning basin' within Morro Bay to turn the ship about so that it could exit the harbor.

The State of California Department of Boating and Waterways has an on-line booklet titled "Safe Boating Hints for Morro Bay". In it they mention that the buoys that mark the channel are frequently moved to reflect the current state of the always shifting channel. That won't go over very well with a cruise line's insurance company.

- - -

Out of curiosity, just checked the nautical chart. The channel up to the piers are three to four fathoms. That's 18 to 24 feet. The draft of a modern day cruise ship is 30 feet. She wouldn't even be able to get inside the harbor. Here's the NOAA link to the nautical chart of Morro Bay:

Chart 18703

Having cruise ships dock at Morro Bay would certainly help the economy of the area, (and at Ruth4Truth says, probably ruin it too). Unfortunately, the harbor is too shallow, too dangerous to enter/exit, and too small.

All that water you see in the lower half of the bay . . . except for one or two spots, you could walk across the bay from the 'mainland' to the isthmus without getting your shirt wet.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:05 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
What about Port SLO?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Avila is more an open bay than a 'real' harbor. It is open to the southeast/south/southwest and is unprotected. Just that reason alone precludes scheduled commercial service. Also, Avila only has two wooden piers. It would take a whole lot of money to construct a concrete pier that would withstand winter wave forces that could accommodate a modern cruise ship. If the California Coastal Commission would even allow the construction of a pier that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California