Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
So what? Does that make it okay? I see tons of black woman selling themselves on the street. If prostitution is legalized does that make it okay?

The liquor store has replaced the church as the gathering place and focal point of every lower income black community in the country. Its all legal, but does that make it some how better?

Black men who do nothing but sit around and smoke weed are not only a waste to our race, they are a waste to this country and to the world in general. If half these dudes put as much effort into getting an education as they do getting high and selling dope to pay for rims on their cars, we'd be having a neo harlem renissance on our hands. But of course no body wants that, not the esatblishment and certainly not alot of black folks, unfortunatly.
So if they keep it illegal and spend millions of tax payer dollars trying to fight it, this will cause the black youth of this country to stop getting high and buying rims as you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
The 13th amendment exempts prisoners from anti-slavery laws. The drug laws have become the new Jim Crow laws, the prison has become the new plantation, and the warden has become the new overseer. America’s newest slaves aren’t picking cotton. They’re assembling computers (Dell), making women’s lingerie (Victoria's real Secret), booking airline flights over the phone, and doing all kinds of tasks that free Americans used to be employed at doing, and at a fraction of the cost. And since minorities are in prison more than whites, we're still enslaving the same people. Of course the NAACP should endorse a halt to the drug war, and so should our President.
What a crock, there is a such of thing as the law, you know what the laws are even if you don't agree with them, if you choose to break it you pay the price. If Marijuana is legalized it will not change the fact that these people will still break the laws and be in prison, if it were up to me they would be making small rocks out of big rocks, they are not victoms they are criminals.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
Default Good thing it is not up to you then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
What a crock, there is a such of thing as the law, you know what the laws are even if you don't agree with them, if you choose to break it you pay the price. If Marijuana is legalized it will not change the fact that these people will still break the laws and be in prison, if it were up to me they would be making small rocks out of big rocks, they are not victoms they are criminals.
Here is the text of the 13th amendment:
Amendment 13 - Slavery Abolished

<<Back | Table of Contents | Next>>
1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Notes for this amendment:
Proposed 1/31/1865
Ratified 12/6/1865
History
Article 4, Section 2
You will note that according to this amendment slavery is still ok for convicted criminals. This is the basis for "allowing" companies to go into prisons and contract with the prison, not the worker, for prison labor. Prisoners work in prison for pennies a day. If marijuana is legalized thousands of people, mostly minorities, although they don't use drugs more than whites, will NOT be going to prison. They will not be getting a criminal record that will follow them the rest of their lives, preventing them from getting housing and a job, in other words, from being a productive member of society. Many good and noble people have broken unjust laws. There is nothing wrong with questioning authority and seeking, whenever possible, within legal means, to get unjust laws changed. If they didn't you would still be living under British rule.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Here is the text of the 13th amendment:
Amendment 13 - Slavery Abolished

<<Back | Table of Contents | Next>>
1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Notes for this amendment:
Proposed 1/31/1865
Ratified 12/6/1865
History
Article 4, Section 2
You will note that according to this amendment slavery is still ok for convicted criminals. This is the basis for "allowing" companies to go into prisons and contract with the prison, not the worker, for prison labor. Prisoners work in prison for pennies a day. If marijuana is legalized thousands of people, mostly minorities, although they don't use drugs more than whites, will NOT be going to prison. They will not be getting a criminal record that will follow them the rest of their lives, preventing them from getting housing and a job, in other words, from being a productive member of society. Many good and noble people have broken unjust laws. There is nothing wrong with questioning authority and seeking, whenever possible, within legal means, to get unjust laws changed. If they didn't you would still be living under British rule.
I wouldn't concider being in prison the same as being a slave, you may be inslaved but it's for a good reason. most of those in prison are not there just for weed, they robbed, stole and committed violent crimes unless they just repeated getting caught with weed over and over and then they should be put away for being stupid. I also do not think being in prison should entittle anyone to being paid, any pay should be put back into the prison to relieve the taxpayers burden the criminals have put upon them.
I'm not agians't weed and I plan on voting for it but in the big picture I don't think it's will release many of our current prisoners due to the fact that they commited other crimes as well.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Take a walk in their shoes first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I wouldn't concider being in prison the same as being a slave, you may be inslaved but it's for a good reason. most of those in prison are not there just for weed, they robbed, stole and committed violent crimes unless they just repeated getting caught with weed over and over and then they should be put away for being stupid. I also do not think being in prison should entittle anyone to being paid, any pay should be put back into the prison to relieve the taxpayers burden the criminals have put upon them.
I'm not agians't weed and I plan on voting for it but in the big picture I don't think it's will release many of our current prisoners due to the fact that they commited other crimes as well.
Maybe that's because you have never been in prison or never even visuted a prison, so you get your understanding of the experiance, like most Americans, from TV. If you work without compensation or you work for pennies an hour, it feels a lot like slavery. You know what they say, if it walks like a duck...And you should know that the irony is these same companies that profit off the slave labor of prisoners will not hire them when they get out, often times, because they have a criminal record. We know that not only are there innocent men in prison, but any thinking person knows that there is NO good reason to enslave another. If you are serious,and you don't indicate otherwise, you also seem to have an 18th century idea of what should be done with those who are mentally challenged. Here's a clue, they don't deserve to be jailed. You are generalizing incorrectly about people in jail for drug use and possession. The reality is that most of them are just in prison for that crime and no other. Do the research. I find your responses to be totally based on opinion without any factual basis. It is so easy today to learn about actual incarceration rates and profiles of drug offenders, especially that most drug offenders are non-violent, that I wonder why you insist on commenting without at least some knowledge of what you are talking about. Is your TV broken?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Working is good for prisoners, paid or not. Its good for people, its good for the mind, body, and soul. Just like for children, you gain a sense of purpose and satisfaction, and hopefully a good work ethic. Which unfortunately many of these people may not have been taught. An idle mind is the devils playground.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Dear Dad, adults are not children

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Working is good for prisoners, paid or not. Its good for people, its good for the mind, body, and soul. Just like for children, you gain a sense of purpose and satisfaction, and hopefully a good work ethic. Which unfortunately many of these people may not have been taught. An idle mind is the devils playground.
Yes work is good for prisoners, and many want to do whatever jobs are available, but they are not children and should not be treated like children. A minimum wage is the law for all Americans, except them (and farm workers). Human dignity and respect is an important part of rehabilitation and preparation to re-enter society, which most prisoners will do. The system does not provide them with much more than transportation money away from the facility, wouldn't it be sensible to allow them to work and save for the day they are released, so they can have a chance at keeping out of trouble?, and can see the fruit of that effort? The prisoners I have met ALL wanted a job when they got out so they could provide for themselves and their families. Unfortunately the reality is that today, because of the internet and the ease and cheap price of a background check, even after these people do their time, that conviction will follow them throughout their lives. The likelyhood that they will get a sustainable job is not that great. More likely their high unemployability, as a result of having a record, will bring them back to prison. America does not believe in redemption, or rehabilitation, or a second chance, or that doing your time is enough. It seems America believes in unending punishment.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT Oakland View Post
The uncle tom speaks again.
Ignore the little man behind the curtain. He's joined Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton in their quest to ensure blacks are minimized so they'll have something to rant about and line their pockets.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe that's because you have never been in prison or never even visuted a prison, so you get your understanding of the experiance, like most Americans, from TV. If you work without compensation or you work for pennies an hour, it feels a lot like slavery. You know what they say, if it walks like a duck...And you should know that the irony is these same companies that profit off the slave labor of prisoners will not hire them when they get out, often times, because they have a criminal record. We know that not only are there innocent men in prison, but any thinking person knows that there is NO good reason to enslave another. If you are serious,and you don't indicate otherwise, you also seem to have an 18th century idea of what should be done with those who are mentally challenged. Here's a clue, they don't deserve to be jailed. You are generalizing incorrectly about people in jail for drug use and possession. The reality is that most of them are just in prison for that crime and no other. Do the research. I find your responses to be totally based on opinion without any factual basis. It is so easy today to learn about actual incarceration rates and profiles of drug offenders, especially that most drug offenders are non-violent, that I wonder why you insist on commenting without at least some knowledge of what you are talking about. Is your TV broken?
Put the dope down and get yourself some help, you gotta be joking, prison is a event triggered because you broke the law, it's not slavery it is a punishment given to you because you committed a crime are you living in this world? Hell no i have not been in prison, I am much smarter than that, prisoners should work their butts off for zero pay, they are a burden on the tax payers like me, i pay for their time and if you worked and paid taxes you would understand. this has nothing to do with making weed legal, go to a clinic and check yourself in, I don't need TV I see the real world, turn off yours and get out and see the real world.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I love your attitude and style!!!

Nita
nmnita !!! ... You are so right !

There is a great deal of "TRUTH" in the subject matter you refer too !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California