Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Short term memory anyone? Japan gets hit with earthquakes far more often than we do. I brought up Canada because they don't expect to have earthquakes like we do. You know damn well living in SoCal earthquakes are our primary natural disaster. Stop whining. If this was the FL forum and people were complaining about hurricanes, how stupid does that look? You know just about every part of this world has at least one natural disaster exposure, learn to live with it. Theres nothing you can do so stop complaining.

What a p*ss poor attitude to have. Lets complain about the heat too as if we control such things.
I have lived in San Diego all my life. that's 19 years and I have never felt this many earthquakes as I have the past 3 months. There's a reason everyone's nerves are on edge. You brought up hurricanes and Florida. Well if Florida was warned that a huge Category 5 hurricane was coming, they would be freaking out! It's the fact that the outcome of what's to come is unknown. Especially with earthquakes. Completely random and you never know how big they will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:01 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
This thread is not about if a large earthquake is going to hit California [everybody knows that]. The article pointed out that those who study earthquakes are seeing a pattern. The nearby faults are shifting in response to the Mexicali earthquake in April. Keep in mind that parts of the land rose 10 feet as a result of the 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The 1994 Northridge earthquake was 6.9 and resulted in $ billions in damage and around 70 deaths. The seismologists at Cal-Tech are keeping the public aware of the heightened activity. It is a reminder to be earthquake ready at all times.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
This thread is not about if a large earthquake is going to hit California [everybody knows that]. The article pointed out that those who study earthquakes are seeing a pattern. The nearby faults are shifting in response to the Mexicali earthquake in April. Keep in mind that parts of the land rose 10 feet as a result of the 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The 1994 Northridge earthquake was 6.9 and resulted in $ billions in damage and around 70 deaths. The seismologists at Cal-Tech are keeping the public aware of the heightened activity. It is a reminder to be earthquake ready at all times.
also all the faults that are overdue for large quakes are capable of quakes over 7.5. Elsinore, San Jacinto, and San Andreas are well overdue for quakes. Earthquakes on any of those faults with that magnitude or above would be a terrible disaster

Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I have lived in San Diego all my life. that's 19 years and I have never felt this many earthquakes as I have the past 3 months. There's a reason everyone's nerves are on edge.
Well duh, there was a major earthquake near San Diego. But San Diego is one of the least earth quake prone areas in Southern California. Even if the San Andreas fully erupted the damage in San Diego would be fairly minimal.

Anyhow, getting nervous over small tremors is like someone from Florida getting nervous over some dark clouds.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:35 PM

I don't feel like arguing over something so stupid but geologists and other experts have said that it would be quite strong here and that it would last up to 2 minutes and that the water pipes/dams could break causing us not to have water for weeks/months and we would have to live off the water from the San Vicente dam up to 6 months. Weak buildings would crumble so while LA/SB will get the brunt of it, San Diego is in no way safe from it.

and Rose canyon fault? did you forget about that?

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 07-11-2010 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I don't feel like arguing over something so stupid but geologists and other experts have said that it would be quite strong here and that it would last up to 2 minutes and that the water pipes/dams could break causing us not to have water for weeks/months and we would have to live off the water from the San Vicente dam up to 6 months.
"Quite strong" is relative, the simulations of either a southern or northern rapture don't show any major shaking in San Diego. The shaking would be < 6.0.

Quote:
and Rose canyon fault? did you forget about that?
No, the Rose Canyon fault is very inactive and has not erupted in a long time.

I said that San Diego has one of the lowest earthquake risks in Southern California not that it has no earthquake risks.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 AM

ok mr. scientist.

noone knows anything about the big one until it happens

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
noone knows anything about the big one until it happens
You can determine a lot about it, for example the San Andreas is a good 100 miles from San Diego and the land in between is filled with mountains (earthquakes don't travel well through rock, etc).

Anyhow, you're in San Diego and your comments come off as whining to people that live in areas that are more active in terms of earthquakes. I can understand why you'd be nervous as you don't get much activity down there, but for people from the LA or SF area what you're experiencing is really rather normal.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
a 4.0? that's nothing.
We have more than just one dangerous fault here. Try more than a dozen, so yeah we have a reason to "whine and complain"
Exactly, California has three very hyperactive seismic zones plus one very long fault running the length of the state.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
I have lived in San Diego all my life. that's 19 years and I have never felt this many earthquakes as I have the past 3 months. There's a reason everyone's nerves are on edge. You brought up hurricanes and Florida. Well if Florida was warned that a huge Category 5 hurricane was coming, they would be freaking out! It's the fact that the outcome of what's to come is unknown. Especially with earthquakes. Completely random and you never know how big they will be.
San Diego is much less prone the earthquakes than the rest of socal. I've been here since '88 and I know how infrequent they are. In the Bay Area and LA, people don't worry much because quakes are a way of life in those areas. That's not the case in SD. Considering the circumstances, I think most people in SD are handling it rather well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California