Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 AM

436 posts, read 949,834 times

Advertisements

You're scaring decent people from moving there. I just looked on the California Attorney General's website and saw that anyone who moves to Cali with a handgun has to pay a $19 fee for bringing a handgun into the state.

What?!?!?!?!?!

Is there a fee for bringing a couch into the state or a book, maybe a fee for each fork or knife? You can't tax my personal possessions. That's wrong, but anyone who would challenge it in court will just avoid moving to California and having it become an issue.

Gun owners are, more often than not, decent and productive people. You're going to push all these gun owners to the Southeast and Texas with these crazy laws attacking and punishing gun owners.

Last edited by smoking357; 07-12-2010 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 AM

364 posts, read 989,879 times
If doling out less than $20 is this much of a concern, then you've got bigger problems my friend.

But you do make a good point without realizing it - we should be charging much, much more in order to get our state flush with money again. I'll forward this to the Governator.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,404,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
You're scaring decent people from moving there. I just looked on the California Attorney General's website and saw that anyone who moves to Cali with a handgun has to pay a $19 fee for bringing a handgun into the state.
Only in California would law abiding people be charged a fee for exercising a constitutionally protected right.

And some people wonder why we left it! I recently bought a handgun here. The entire transaction, including background check, took maybe 20 minutes and I walked out with gun in hand and a couple of boxes of ammunition with a simple signature and no hassle or waiting period. My clearance, which took mere minutes, was from the MO AG's office.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,848,652 times
Not too many years ago the state thought to get some extra cash charging people 300 bucks extra for each vehicle brought into the state until that was finally challenged.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 AM

529 posts, read 1,323,969 times
What? From what I've heard gun owner ship in CA is illegal!
And you can only buy 1 box of ammo per month? I always thought I'd try CA over TX but if I had to leave NM, I'd be headed to Amarillo first with their car-home extension and Castle law.
If you're a believer in individual rights and gun ownership and protecting your family, we need you here in NM. Texan of same are welcome too! Y`all come!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,804,961 times
California, here I come right back where I started from....NOT

2,039 posts, read 3,274,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
And you can only buy 1 box of ammo per month? I always thought I'd try CA over TX but if I had to leave NM, I'd be headed to Amarillo first with their car-home extension and Castle law.
If you're a believer in individual rights and gun ownership and protecting your family, we need you here in NM. Texan of same are welcome too! Y`all come!
Really? 1 box a month?

BS, cause I just bought a ton of 5.56 for my AR and I live in Ca.

1,631 posts, read 4,215,540 times
I agree, it's a bummer of a fee. But you have to pay to bring your vehicle into the state. I'm not a gun owner but I am a car enthusiast and think it's ridiculous to have to pay all the fees to register a vehicle in another state. I'm now dealing with the state of TX and having to pay almost $40 to get a piece of paper to recognize that I outright own my vehicle in the state of TX and no longer in CA.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,404,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
Guns aren't illegal in CA, just limited with severe restrictions and you have to jump through hoops to get one as well as ammunition.

We have those same NM protections in Missouri -- a full Castle Doctrine, no limits on buying guns or ammunition, and we have a must issue CCW policy, etc.

It's so nice to be back in the Land of the Free!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-12-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM

436 posts, read 949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
If doling out less than $20 is this much of a concern, then you've got bigger problems my friend.
That's really a very silly and uneducated response. Do you pay a $20 import fee for ever fork, knife, book and shoe you bring into California?

How many shirts, socks, shoes do you have? There should be no tax on such matters, and $20 a pop gets expensive, quick.

Quote:
But you do make a good point without realizing it - we should be charging much, much more in order to get our state flush with money again. I'll forward this to the Governator.
Perhaps Stalin or Mao is more your political guiding star?

Like I said, you're scaring decent people away, leaving only people like you behind who will continue to destroy the state with evil ideas.

What you're doing ain't working. More of the same is only going to dig a bigger hole. It's time to be a grownup and turn matters over to the men with grey hairs who will get things back on track over a Coke at the gun club. Too bad for California that these men live in other states.

If you ask real nice, and if you obey what they say, maybe you can get some of the adults from Oklahoma to come out and set you on the right path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California