Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM

86 posts, read 150,830 times

Advertisements

Hi- My partner and I are in our early 50's and plan on retiring in the next 2 years. We are looking for somewhere where we would be comfortable living, yet I stress it does not have to be a "gay area", just somewhere that we can be good neighbors and live our lives. We will likely be looking for a condo in the 400-500K range. We enjoy the beach, walking,arts, theater and antiques. We also like a quaint downtown, but we also like "well groomed" communities. We are thinking northern CA for the weather. We like the weather of So Calif, however are turned off by the politics, mega churches and material nature of OC, LA is not our speed either. Any suggestions for central or northern Cal?? Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander62 View Post
Hi- My partner and I are in our early 50's and plan on retiring in the next 2 years. We are looking for somewhere where we would be comfortable living, yet I stress it does not have to be a "gay area", just somewhere that we can be good neighbors and live our lives. We will likely be looking for a condo in the 400-500K range. We enjoy the beach, walking,arts, theater and antiques. We also like a quaint downtown, but we also like "well groomed" communities. We are thinking northern CA for the weather. We like the weather of So Calif, however are turned off by the politics, mega churches and material nature of OC, LA is not our speed either. Any suggestions for central or northern Cal?? Many thanks in advance!
I'm not sure of the price range, but I wonder if Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo might work.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Santa Barbara sounds nice I did visit once several years ago. I had just figured I would be priced out. I know nothing about the other area you mentioned, but will check it out.THANKS!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

286 posts, read 535,198 times
You should look at East Sacramento. It's close to downtown, friendly to gay people and you could buy a very nice charming home (the homes there are older and very well kept up) in the area.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I'm not sure how pricey it is, but you might look at Mendocino. It's a small town, and some parts have the feel of a New England town. It's a little isolated but you can still drive south to San Francisco or the wine country.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:00 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
San Francisco.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM

99 posts, read 380,397 times
My first thought after reading your post was Marin. Some very cute communities there though housing cost is a bit on the high side but I think you should be able to find something in your price range. some good walking - especially in some of the artsy areas. Close to the beaches as well as city which would have the theatre (as does Marin). Some areas of Sonoma county might also work but personally I would not look at Santa Rosa. Not because of the gay thing but just because it really has not done much with it's downtown area and it just isn't that great anymore. Sebastopol might work as could Windsor or Petaluma.

You could go further up to Mendocino which is really nice but for some people can be quite isolating.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 PM

I really appreciate everyones imput! I plan on taking a trip later this year to explore the areas everyone has mentioned. Anyone else feel free to chime in! Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:38 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander62 View Post
I really appreciate everyones imput! I plan on taking a trip later this year to explore the areas everyone has mentioned. Anyone else feel free to chime in! Thanks again!
Northern California with the exception of some parts of the Central Valley, some backwards towns far up north or in the mountains, are universally gay friendly, and ones sexuality is really a non issue.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Northern California with the exception of some parts of the Central Valley, some backwards towns far up north or in the mountains, are universally gay friendly, and ones sexuality is really a non issue.
What areas comprise the 'Cental Valley" specifically? thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California