U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 32,935 times

Advertisements

Hi i live in san francisco but my boyfriend and i have been thinking about moving to santa rosa because we simply cant afford to live in san francisco right now, but i was wondering how santa rosa might be is it a safe place ??

-mari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 10:18 AM

85 posts, read 594,026 times
Default Santa Rosa

Santa Rosa is nice. If you like the Sonoma Valley, go for it.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:40 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,359,445 times
Santa Rosa is the best Northern California has- at least besides San Francisco.
The climate is temperate- a bit hot in the summer and cooler in the winter then San Francisco- but still pleasant. Offering a seasonal change, compared to areas further south. Region is more 'green' and aesthetically attractive then southern California.

Nice city center- good places to shop. Housing sub divisions a bit generic and 'Californian'. Decent restaurants- but not outstanding. Great resorts in the Russian River area. Many excellent wineries.

Probably one of the best places to live in California. However housing prices are basically not attainable but to those who have a large down payment.

If not its a rather tough and grim existence, unless you have a high income.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-23-2007 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 PM

11 posts, read 96,311 times
Default Come To Santa Rosa!

You won't be dissapointed!

It is so beautiful here! If you like the out doors and a slightly slower pace then there is no better place to live. Especially if you enjoy great wine!

check out:

SantaRosaThrives.blogspot.com

leave a message!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:18 AM

324 posts, read 1,573,771 times
Don't forget to tell him about the traffic...

Old 08-14-2008, 01:48 AM

398 posts, read 1,203,458 times
It's a very nice city.People are pretty cool.But they have a large hispanic gang problem out there.Lots of Nortenos and Surenos. Google those 2,and you'll see what Im saying. If they get that situation under control, It would be an even better city.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 PM

94 posts, read 301,848 times
I grew up in Santa Rosa and haven't lived there for 8 years now but have visited family there frequently. Back in the 80's, I thought it was a great place. There was still a lot of open land, I enjoyed my private school education, traffic wasn't that bad, and I always found lots to do.

As for the present, If you plan on having children, do not put them in the public schools. It is horrible. ESL students are destroying the public school system. There is an article in today's Press Democrat about how roughly only half of the students are proficient in English. There was an article in last week's paper about the changing demographics in the county and how the Hispanic population is growing like crazy. What makes this horrible is that this populations test scores are horribly low which will lead to a lower qualified workforce in years to come. My family and I were at Finley park just last week and out of at least 50 people, we were the only English speaking family. I foresee Sonoma County becoming riddled with more and more gang problems in coming years and a growing poverty level in the county because of an uneducated work force. I would not move back if my life depended on it.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 102,149 times
I totally agree with you, CMKM-Miller. I grew up here as well, and Santa Rosa has changed in the 40 years that I've lived here. There are too many people, too many houses, too many cars. The gang problem only continues to get worse, even something as simple as going to the downtown mall isn't safe. The public school system is horrible, not to mention drug problems within the schools. Yes, there are areas of SR that are beautiful, the vineyards are breathtaking in the fall, it's great being close to the ocean, and only a few hours from the snow or Yosemite, but within the next 5 years, my husband and I are "outta here!" People who love it here, can have it!!

Old 03-14-2009, 04:04 AM

3 posts, read 37,503 times
If I could live anywhere, it would be Santa Rosa or one of its surrounding smaller towns within easy access. Even though I am from PA, I have spent an incredible amount of time in Santa Rosa, including living there for 2 summers. (A teacher has the good fortune to be able to do that.) In addition I visited during just about any holiday breaks I had!

Here are some of the many pleasantries:

1. Temperate climate ~ even in summer it can be very hot during the day, but nearly every night was cool & perfect for sleep

2. Location is directly beside route 101. Some would likely add this as a con, but I enjoyed being able to jump on & travel north or south with ease.

3. Even on hot summer days you are only a 15-20 minute ride to Bodega Bay & Jenner, which has dramatically cooler weather. The beauty& serenity shares a calming inspiration on any day! No crowds either!

4. I found people to be notably friendly, open, & helpful.

5. For a mid-sized city, it still holds onto a small town feel with festivals & community events.

6. Housing was mentioned as difficult to acquire. In my search to move there I discovered there are very reasonably priced mobile homes & lots of mobile villages. Many of them are well-equipped & even include pristinely groomed yards. Most villages have community rooms & a pool.

7. San Francisco is a short ride down 101. Yes, it is busy around Santa Rosa, but once you are beyond city limits, it clears quickly.

Well ~ I could go on & on, but I’ll end by saying how I envy you!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM

266 posts, read 857,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Montaig View Post
If I could live anywhere, it would be Santa Rosa or one of its surrounding smaller towns within easy access. Even though I am from PA, I have spent an incredible amount of time in Santa Rosa, including living there for 2 summers. (A teacher has the good fortune to be able to do that.) In addition I visited during just about any holiday breaks I had!

Here are some of the many pleasantries:

1. Temperate climate ~ even in summer it can be very hot during the day, but nearly every night was cool & perfect for sleep

2. Location is directly beside route 101. Some would likely add this as a con, but I enjoyed being able to jump on & travel north or south with ease.

3. Even on hot summer days you are only a 15-20 minute ride to Bodega Bay & Jenner, which has dramatically cooler weather. The beauty& serenity shares a calming inspiration on any day! No crowds either!

4. I found people to be notably friendly, open, & helpful.

5. For a mid-sized city, it still holds onto a small town feel with festivals & community events.

6. Housing was mentioned as difficult to acquire. In my search to move there I discovered there are very reasonably priced mobile homes & lots of mobile villages. Many of them are well-equipped & even include pristinely groomed yards. Most villages have community rooms & a pool.

7. San Francisco is a short ride down 101. Yes, it is busy around Santa Rosa, but once you are beyond city limits, it clears quickly.

Well ~ I could go on & on, but Iíll end by saying how I envy you!
What is your opinion on the gangs that were talked about in some of the postings? Are they realistic or just hype?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or