U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 PM

16 posts, read 16,475 times

Advertisements

Soo.....notmeofficer.... besides the weather the problem is what you describe is the current condition of the USA. Where does one go these days? Southern California's Inland Empire is just what you described x100 plus the huge Hispanic gang problem. Where would you like to move if you could? Just curious.

Redding seems to be a very polarizing place. I've talked to people that love it and hate. Very interesting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,995,718 times
I loved Redding when I first moved here. I am heavily invested into making positive changes in the community...teaching..anti drug programs ... public safety
But... and there is now a but.. this community has gone through a huge change in the last five years to the negative
AB 109 poured inmates into our neighborhoods ... homeless population exploded... social welfare off the scale... probably in excess of half of the population...or more ....collecting some government handout... that makes a seed change anywhere
Some neighborhoods have more residents growing dope than those who don't... this changes the quality of life and attracts dirtbags... throw in group homes and sex offenders and these attributes affect the quality of life issues
Drought conditions...getting sprayed from cloud seeding.:.. all while experiencing ever increasing regulation (not limited to redding)

One measure of the quality of life of a place is watch where your public servants retire to.... coppers and fire who work here and retire for the most part cannot wait to leave

If people come here seeing only through rose colored glasses they will be quickly disillusioned... unless they seek what others seem to be using.

Where...?

If I knew I would have already moved there ... but we are actively looking

Last edited by notmeofficer; 09-04-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 PM

It's very sad the decline of our cities all around the country. Here is how Riverside (where i live) stacks up to Redding

Crime per 100,000
Murder: Riverside 16 and Redding 3
Rape: Riverside 76 and Redding 63
Robbery: Riverside 517 and Redding 100
Auto theft: Riverside 1,476 and Redding 502

Can you see why Redding seems better to me? Riverside is gone to me. When I was in Redding I was out on the river walk at night and felt safe. There were lots of people. I don't walk on my river during the day even myself.
So let me ask you this....would the weather in and of itself cause you to move from Redding?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,995,718 times
After living in so cal most of my adult working life and experiencing that weather I would say this ....
The weather has gotten worse here over the last several years... more people means more development... more burning and forest management
Redding is at the end of the valley and pollution from below comes up here... hits the mountains and swirls around... there is very little in the way of cleansing breezes

So... would the weather prevent me from moving here... yes... after all the time I've spent here... yes... but I was spoiled... I'll never find so cal weather... but I will find a better quality of life...less expensive... more freedom... less regulation... taxation and government services... which we use very little of

I am looking at places with four seasons... redding doesn't really have those...
Usually goes from blasting hot to cool cold very quickly

Old 09-05-2014, 10:17 AM

I agree that you can find a better quality of life outside of ca. My sister loves Tennessee. I just know I can't live in humidity and I really hate snow. I think I'm going to have to find a few places and live like a snow bird. I do hope to visit Redding again soon and explore deeper. How's the drive between Redding and Eureka?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:14 PM

154 posts, read 190,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomrie View Post
How's the drive between Redding and Eureka?
Long and windy. CA 299 is pretty much the only practical route and it takes about three hours in good weather (and if you don't have to stop for anyone's car sickness). Very scenic drive though, especially up around Weaverville.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for all your good info. Much to think about.....

Old 09-05-2014, 05:06 PM

14,113 posts, read 16,940,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomrie View Post
I agree that you can find a better quality of life outside of ca.
I completely disagree with this statement. California is a huge state.

My reality in Redding is nothing like NotMeOfficer's. As a person who just lives her life, who has nothing to do with the city politics, and only sees homeless people because I live downtown, and when I go to the library, my "reality" in Redding is nothing like the one described by NMO.

Today, for instance...I got up early and was walking the trails with my dog at 7am at the Turtle Bay East Open Area. There were about 6 other vehicles parked in the parking lot. I probably walked about 1/2 mile before running into other people who were either jogging, or walking their dogs. Everyone was friendly and said hello.

I was walking alone in a wooded park on trails, and never felt afraid, and never saw any scary or homeless type people.

Then, I brought the dog home, had breakfast, and drove to the bank, then the pharmacy and back. Everywhere I went, the traffic wasn't bad, and the people I got eye contact with or made a comment to, were all friendly and smiled at me.

I came home and ran into a woman who works in my apartment building as a caretaker for a blind man, and she told me about a garage sale. We ended up going together, as she was on her lunch break. We had a nice chat, bought a few things at the yard sale, and chatted and laughed with the 3 elderly people (two sisters and a man who was husband to one of them). Also chatted with another lady who was shopping at the garage sale. All friendly. Nice, quiet neighborhood.

Then, we drove back to my building, and we could hear someone yelling. Some crazy homeless guy yelling as he was quickly walking down the street. There were other tenants from my building outside watching the crazy guy to make sure he kept moving. He did. Everyone resumed chatting, and I said goodbye and came back to my apartment.

Then, I ate lunch, and got a call from my mailbox service that I have a package. So, I had to run out again, and unfortunately this was a very hot and miserable 3 mile round trip, because it's now 98 degrees outside, with an expected high of 99. So, although it was perfectly wonderful at 7am, getting pretty warm for the garage sale, it's now dang hot, and my trip to the mailbox was sweaty and uncomfortable in my old car with no a/c.

I came home, cranked up the a/c to cool off, will set it back to 80 in a minute. Now I'm sitting with my dog at my computer drinking iced tea.

If I didn't live downtown, I wouldn't have seen or heard the crazy homeless guy.

But, my point is that in my life in Redding, my reality is not the reality described by NMO. I don't watch the news, I don't care about politics or any of that stuff. It's too depressing. The world spins just fine without my help.

My reality is taking walks by the river, doing some shopping, chatting with people, that sort of thing. And I don't feel afraid of crime, and I don't care who is on welfare, and I don't care who grows pot.

I avoid areas with homeless as much as possible not so much because I'm afraid, as I don't like being approached for handouts. But, it's not difficult at all to avoid areas with homeless people.

So, just a point of reference here.

If it wasn't so hot in Redding, I'd stay. But, I would look for an apartment outside of the downtown area. The downtown area is actually very attractive...except for the homeless people.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:14 PM

14,881 posts, read 15,888,231 times
@ NoMoSno,
You should have picked up your package on a morning before it got HOT...

Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM

14,113 posts, read 16,940,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
@ NoMoSno,
You should have picked up your package on a morning before it got HOT...
LOL! I actually went there earlier, and the UPS delivery hadn't come. My choices were: Go while it was hot, or wait until Monday to get the package, cuz they're closed on the weekend. I decided to buck up. And then complain about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California