Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times

Advertisements

yep.. about 612 feet above sea level.. and if Shasta burst or got taken out by a bomb (improbable) it would flood Redding proper

We talk about this scenario often during disaster planning here... the govt thought it worthy enough after 9-11 to close the dam to vehicular traffic and close the dam tours.. we dont want achmed the crazy bomber to take the place out... except

they put part time rent a guards on the dam.. so its pretty much a joke

the dam tours are now open again (way cool)

Ive felt one roller and one jolt since Ive been here.. I think the general consensus is that the faults closer to the ocean will let go first... at least there wont be a zillion people trapped like ants here... and well.. even the power goes out here without anything happening.. so a disaster wouldnt really be any different (as long as you have some planning)

Water.. water is the MOST important thing up here... and good quality water is worth a premium... wells depending where they are can be iffy... and good water is worth probably 20k premium on a parcel... gotta be able to drink and fight fire... and that takes water.... weve got it.. the south wants it... its going to get interesting one day
We can live without the glitter of the south.. can they live without our water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 10:29 PM

217 posts, read 1,002,742 times
kinda makes your pucker muscle pucker doesn't it. I notice you say rent a guard instead of rent a cop. I can see that would rub you the wrong way as I get to know you. We have a RENT A GUARD at our condo complex. Only one. So the bad guys wait till they see his pickup drive by, then break the car windows and get their goods. That's what I'll be looking for. Some place with good water, and an acre or two. I don't need a lot of space, just some elbow room. I'm sure that will take me off of a city water supply. Don't know anything really. Just thinking out loud. I'll see it for myself shortly. Take care,skitow.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 58,519 times
a very minor earthquake broke the still soft concrete foundation of our new house during construction
first one i have ever experienced here.
i live near bella vista about six or seven miles east of the city.
my guesstimate is that if the dam broke the water will not get here.
it would of course take out much of the lower areas of redding proper.
the dam is a biggie and to blow it up would take some effort
i do not think blowing up a truck on top of it would do it
you might even have to go nuclear.
i personally do not think it's going anywhere.

bella vista water district has really good water 99.9% of the time.
we still drink water right out of the tap.
some comes from wells some from the sacramento river
and even the river is much cleaner here than down south.

Last edited by imlen; 04-19-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-19-2008, 09:39 PM

I've been right up to the rope and buoys that block any futher advance by boats. I know the dam is huge. Living where I do, I've been through hundreds of earthquakes. Right after the '89 quake, we had almost daily quakes for a good year. Neighbors have told me that when they replace their rugs, the foundations are cracked to pieces. Also the upper condos like mine have a 1 inch thick layer of concrete pored over the subflooring. They too are cracked to pieces. It must be a fire code for the 1 inch of concrete. Anyway, I'll check out Bella Vista also. It will be a grand tour I'm sure. We'll be up there for about 5 days. I may even charter a helicopter for a really good view. Depends on the cost of course. The gas just to get to Redding will be pricey. My little suv uses 91 octane because it has a turbocharger. I filled up today and paid $4.20 a gallon. This country is in trouble. The next few years should be interesting. Funny thing though, I can't understand why no one was smiling when they were filling up. Yah, right. Take care, skitow.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
got out to the airport (Redding not Benton).. to Gemani Aviation.. take a small plane up.. it would really be worthwhile.. 2 hrs and the pilot could have you seeing much of the area by air... and way more cheaply than a heliochopper

Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks again for your input. Sounds like a good idea. That is a definite will do. Patrick.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,621 times
Default I'll Be Back!!!

TO REDDING THAT IS! I've heard waay too much about how "bad" Redding is. Let me tell you all: I have been all around the WORLD, even met my wife (now married 20 years!) in S. America--she is from Scottsdale, so does not mind the heat. I moved to Redding in '69 from Fresno (now THERES a place to be FROM!), and, after 2 of the best decades of my life--and finishing up at Shasta College (went back late), headed off to the east coast for Maryland School of Medicine.
Why do I mention any of this? Because, as I have read here, I too will be making my way back, to raise my 2 small children. I WILL miss some of the opportunities here, in S. Florida...the beaches, the sun, the schools....but: the slower pace in Redding, the lakes and the myriad of other outdoor things to do draws me back!
Yes things HAVE changed...they have everywhere, but make what you will of it, AND YOURSELF! Can you hear me...those of you who feel "trampled upon"!?? Nobody will GIVE you a life...you have to earn it! And like so many others I have met from Redding, they so often DO move back and settle in for a GREAT quality of life. I suspect my children will feel someday, like myself, will have to move on as well. But not without having so many terrific memories, made: in the very near future!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:00 PM

57 posts, read 304,208 times
Well if you are a Real Estate Investor that wants to accept Section 8 Voucher Program, Voucher Beneficiaries into your Rental, then it's all good.
Funny how Redding changed right after the passing of the July 17th, 2007 Section 8 Voucher Program Act of 2007 went into law.
Oh, and there's a New 2008 Section 8 Voucher Program Act for 2008 being pushed by Chris Dodd-D-CT now. S. 2684: Section 8 Voucher Reform Act of 2008 (GovTrack.us)

This will fund the Section 8 Voucher Program even more millions to Re-Distribute low-incomes, and they seem to enjoy moving into Redding alot.
Also, if you are selling Real Estate and want buyers that are using the 'Target Area' funding Program to take Urban low-incomes and re-locate them to rural Counties, then it's all good. A 'Target Area' means 70% of the families who live there earn an income that is 80% or less than the Statewide Median Income.
http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/grants/fundsavil.cfm (broken link)
GOOGLE this--->>> CalHFA , HCAD and CHAP down payment assistance programs. http://nkca.ucla.edu/Master.cfm?Cont...p&ZoomTo=tract
Redding Code: 062958 Shasta County Code: 069089

Old 09-19-2008, 11:48 PM

57 posts, read 304,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Sorry, but the general feeling in Redding is slightly skanky. There are nice people and some not so nice people. Given that it's California, it seems very white and somewhat conservative. One test is to go to a bookstore such as its Barnes and Noble. It just didn't seem as upscale, in terms of the population, as even one you would find in Sacramento.

Of the "North State" towns, Chico seems to be viewed the most favorably. It seems progressive and there are quite a lot of different types of people, probably owing to the college.

A little further south and east are Nevada City and Grass Valley. Nevada City is a little too "cute" and Grass Valley is a combination of sophisticated and redneck...kind of schizophrenic, but probably somewhat livable. Neither of these two towns are particularly cheap.

Redding...from what I've observed, I would probably pass.
I SOOOOO, wish I had passed on Redding now. 14 years ago when I first moved to Redding, I thought I had found Paradise on Earth!
In the last several years, that has changed very fast.
Now, there's Section 8's everywhere. From inner cities. Since that Section 8 Voucher Funding Act of July 2007 was passed. It's changed Redding terribly.
I don't recognize it anymore.
So, I'm moving as soon as possible. Even the unincorporated areas are being affected by what's called by HUD, 'Target Areas'.
Everything that makes inner cities bad, has arrived to Redding.
I so wish I had not formed friendships and ties with people and gotten settled down thinking, 'This is my last stop in life, I'll never have to run again.'
Most of my friends have already left now though. They can not stay to watch the destruction. They left before I decided to pack up.
And they were lifelong Reddingites.
Redding now is just like, San Francisco, Oakland, South Sacramento, Los Angeles.
If it's not quite up to that level, it will be in 10 years.
When I was Googling around, I found Antioch, California. It's a suburb outside San Francisco. It was one of the finest suburbs in California. It's all changed now, full of Section 8 problems. Same is happening to Redding.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,231 times
I am moving to Redding as is my wife and kids. I am white, and my wife is light light skinned hisp/indian. Do you see any problems we could have? I ask you, because I loved your response on issue's related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California