Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,492 times

Advertisements

I live in seattle it is cold so are the people, they never get out i love being outside, biking, college aswell, and hot weather im a bit scared to move ,but im freezing, want to know how is the health care, housing, i really lif=k living in a diverse county is this a good match. Ready for warmer weather, and being able to enjoy the out doors is this place 1-10 aleast an 6,7. How are the high schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,471 times
if shasta dam would break who would be screwed. im looking for a gueatamen map thingy

Old 08-01-2010, 06:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
Default Merle Haggard lives in Palo Cedro!

according to PBS a couple of nights ago. I' ve always liked Redding but Merle Haggard is God and he picked the Redding area. What more need be said?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:16 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,061,693 times
Let me jump back in here to update this post after a year or two
How has Redding changed

Well.. we are in worse financial shape than several years ago.. this equates to real layoffs of police and fireman..longer response times and less service. Social welfare has continued to blossom while unemployment is much higher.. 15.9 percent depending on whose stats you believe. I see evidence of this at Shasta College ,where I teach, by scores of people coming through the public safety classes thinking they are going to be the ones hired.. looking for job security...but the reality is.. there are no jobs and those that do come open usually go to those who have been waiting for months and are overqualified and underpaid.I think this probably stands true with other employment.. unless you work for the county or one of the hospitals you may not make what you think you deserve.
The housing prices tanked.. I bought a nice foreclosure early this year for 43k.. 1/2 acre.. 1000 sq ft mobile.. nice area... a couple of years ago it sold for 160k... and there are a number of properties here like that now.. I made it a rental.. with taxes of about 500 a year I couldn't resist.. it cost what a nice car costs. I guess some of the positive effect is that this has slowed some growth.. although this week the Oasis interchange broke ground.. that will substantially alter my town trips and perhaps at some point where I live several miles away.
It is still hot.. but the summer hasn't been as bad as past ones.. but we are scheduled for some hotter 110 stuff in the 10 day.. but its Redding.. wait three days and it will change

We did get a full lake this year.. which brings more idiots from other places.. and some nice people too...the pickup truck which was typically the norm here just a couple of years ago has been replaced by lowered hondas, yuppy suvs, and soccer moms.. some of this is good.. some of this is not.. the slow life is slipping into the amalgamation that the rest of California sees... the wanna be gangsters are becoming better at their trade.. I had heard the the Nortenos wanted Redding as a stopover for their drug trade from Mexico to the Washington border.. we certainly see the proliferation of illegal alien growers here.. but perhaps the legalization of the drug will reduce that at some point.. You can already see the stoned zombies walking around who are on medical marijuana.. and the marijuana industry has sprung up here... not as bad as Humboldt County.. but certainly the effects are palpable. Redding has publicly stated it wants to be a dry town.. we will see

I still seek the elusive Nirvana..perhaps more green..

notme

Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,282 times
from a native..hot, hot, but dry, dry. (but,I live in Falls Church, Va-oh, humidity) so I think the weather, sun, lakes, dams beautiful...actually, price of housing in RDD is reasonable IMO...If u have children, be careful about school districts...Also, if u are a member of the Tea Party u will love the place. It is oh, so conservative & in general, city gov, school officials and the like are not a inquisitive bunch (ex. majority did not know who Santiago Calatrava was, nor care and fought tooth & nail the beautiful Sundial Bridge he constructed across the Sacramento River....now, however, his vision is their brag!). There is nothing like a visit before a move...

Old 06-11-2011, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,740 times
It is common practice for locals to say very very bad things about the Redding area to get newcomers to move away so we can have our peace and quiet. I am a Redding native.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM

200 posts, read 452,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddingnative View Post
It is common practice for locals to say very very bad things about the Redding area to get newcomers to move away so we can have our peace and quiet. I am a Redding native.
I've lived in Redding since 1972, and I admit I don't like a lot of the newcomers since a lot of them recently are gang bangers, not to mention all the sex offenders dropped off in the area. Last week I had a group of 3 gang banger wannabe's approach me after I got off work in my parking lot, lucky I carry a CCW.

Redding used to be a nice town, but you have to admit crime is getting a lot worse than it used to be.

Last edited by DaleK; 06-12-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Redding sure is hot & dry during the summer but its like that here as well.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
Default right

I think you are right

Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM

197 posts, read 298,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
All I can say is Redding may be hot in the summer but it is a gateway to some beutiful contry, if you like the outdoors it can be a great place to live.

Yeah but one can say the exact same thing about Bakersfield or Fresno.Which Redding is just a northern version of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California