U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:16 AM

2,090 posts, read 2,262,776 times

Advertisements

I don't know about "Bakes" but we local folks often call refer the city as "Bako" or "B-town".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM

19 posts, read 31,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
As far as the registration thing. Many newer cars are what is called 50 state legal. In the past car companies made cars for California and cars for the remaining 49 states. depending on the age of your car that may not be the case. Also in the past they would charge a mint to get your car California Legal if it was not sold here new. That has also changed so every case is differant. Something else to know is that we have a freeway system meaning that it has no toll roads, although even that has changed because the state does have some toll roads now. That being said in California you pay to drive the "Freeway's" when you register your car, when you buy gas, when you buy other consumable automotive products. This state taxes you so that you can use the roadways. When you register an out of state car you will pay into that tax system and it may seem like a high cost. Chances are it will cost you more each year to register your car than it did in Florida. Cars that were built after 1973 have to be smogged every other year. New cars are not smogged in the state until after a number of years. It used to be 4 years but I heard that is has been extended even further out. Which makes sence since newer cars burn cleaner than older cars.

I for one like Bakersfield. I have coworkers and friends that live there. I spent time there myself. Lived in Taft California right out of high school to work in the Oil Fields and for fun we would head out to Bakerfield. Housing is much less expensive than in Oxnard on the coast where I live. This city used to be Californias Nashville. Plenty of acts became well known after hanging out in the streets of Bakersfield. I don't know a whole lot of people that call it "bakes" though. Chances are you may not want to call it that when you are living there. Plenty of us here in California don't like it too much when someone writes "CALI" within these forums. Not too sure how those in Bakersfield will take it with you calling their city "BAKES". What I would go with is let the locals call it what they want and you follow their lead. Sad to say but some people get so offended from the simplest of things.

haha i understand and apologize if i did offend anyone...dont really see why it would be offensive but i can respect that. well i plan on purchasing a newer car right before heading out or if its easier to purchase 1 out there then i'll do that...with a move this big i can really use all the extra cents. thanks for the registration advice, was helpful. i have to consider alot more than i thought before moving out there, lol. i guess it takes some getting used to, being that FL has little to no rules when it comes to vehicles and that sort of thing, and here almost all the highways have tolls, from 50cents to $2.00, sucks..but with all the traffic here i would rather pay the $2 toll.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:07 PM

19 posts, read 31,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I don't know about "Bakes" but we local folks often call refer the city as "Bako" or "B-town".
i started calling it "bakes" after hearing an old friend from out there that, then again he's from wasco so what does he know right?! lol

Old 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM

23 posts, read 24,332 times
Quote:
Can't figure this out. Is that a positive or a negative? For me it would be a major negative to be 2 hours away from the ocean. By the way I do have coworkers that live in Bakersfield and can get to work in an hour and 40 minutes. So it is closer than 2 hours. Still that is way to far to be from the beach.

Hi Soon

Do your co-workers commute from Bakersfield to Ventura County? If so, it's feasible to do that in an hour and 40 minutes? I would be making a similar commute and it seems to be roughly closer to 2 hours. Thanks for any info

Old 07-22-2010, 02:10 PM

10,509 posts, read 14,008,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles26 View Post
Hi Soon

Do your co-workers commute from Bakersfield to Ventura County? If so, it's feasible to do that in an hour and 40 minutes? I would be making a similar commute and it seems to be roughly closer to 2 hours. Thanks for any info
Hi Sparkles,

It is easier to do the "Bakes" to Ventura drive than if you were continuing on to TO (TO is acceptable in reference to Thousand Oaks, Many of us say TO.) LOL

From Bakersfield you would take the 5 down to the 126 and into Ventura County. The 126 ends at the 101, both of those have a Main Street Exit in Ventura which is how you would get to the Hospital that I work in. To get to TO it would take longer anyway you traveled. I checked it out and althoug the area has several options it is still a little further than Bakersfield to Ventura. Another factor is that one Coworker lives near the South part of Bakersfield. It would depend where in the city you are living.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Hi Sparkles,

It is easier to do the "Bakes" to Ventura drive than if you were continuing on to TO (TO is acceptable in reference to Thousand Oaks, Many of us say TO.) LOL

From Bakersfield you would take the 5 down to the 126 and into Ventura County. The 126 ends at the 101, both of those have a Main Street Exit in Ventura which is how you would get to the Hospital that I work in. To get to TO it would take longer anyway you traveled. I checked it out and althoug the area has several options it is still a little further than Bakersfield to Ventura. Another factor is that one Coworker lives near the South part of Bakersfield. It would depend where in the city you are living.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'd love to know how long your co-workers have been doing this commute for. Everyone that I talk to about it thinks I'm nuts. I'd like to hear from someone that has actually done it and hear what they say about it. Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM

I wish there was a train that ran from TO to Bakes!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,551,916 times
Bakersfield is awful. If it seemed like the kind of place where you'd want to live, I think you are well on your way to fitting in.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 PM

10,509 posts, read 14,008,185 times
I have 2 coworkers that bought homes in Bakersfield back in 2007 and in 2008. One of them stays in town when the snow falls. He lives in his office, eating in the hospital cafeteria and using the Hospital fitness center to shower. He bought there in 2007 because he could not afford it here unless his wife worked. She stays home with the kids and it works for them. I know of a nurse that also owns a home there but her schedule is 3 - 12 hour shifts. When she is working she stays at her moms home in Oxnard. Another woman that was a housekeeper here bought a condo in Bakersfield. She ended up finding work in Bakersfield after a year of making that drive.

Most people bought when prices were high for homes on the coast. Some are kicking themselves now because they could buy in Oxnard or Ventura now. Although they did buy new homes in Bakersfield when they moved there and a new home in Oxnard would have cost them 2 or 3 times what they paid in Bakersfield.

What people did back then was saw that they could get a 1,300 square foot home with 3 bed and 2 bath in Oxanrd that was built in 1973 - 1978 for $550,000. Instead many moved to other areas including Bakersfield and bought a new 1,800 square foot 4 bed 2 bath home for $225,000. Now in 2010 the Oxnard home is selling for $240,000 and the bakersfield home is selling for $90,000. Still a good deal but much less than the owners paid for them. Oh well who could have known.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,505,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Bakersfield is awful. If it seemed like the kind of place where you'd want to live, I think you are well on your way to fitting in.

What does this mean?

Oh... Edit: It makes sense if you leave the first sentence out. Which would'a been the best thing to do anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
If it seemed like the kind of place where you'd want to live, I think you are well on your way to fitting in.
Aww... see... fixed it for you. What a nice thing to say to someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California