Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM

43 posts, read 138,636 times

Advertisements

Hello, City-Data,

I am a newly-commissioned Navy officer, who just got orders for my first duty assignment..NAS Lemoore! I am excited for my upcoming transition (February 2013) I was hoping someone with a working knowledge of the area might be able to assist me. Not only am I making the initial transition from civilian to military life, but I will be doing it in a brand-new setting. Needless to say, Im very excited, but also a little nervous.

1. Can anyone suggest rental housing off base that is proximal to the installation, but that allows pets? I have a 37 pound Weimaraner and I cannot find any apartment complexes in Lemoore that would allow a dog over twenty pounds. I'm frankly getting worried, and wondering what my housing options are. Do people commute from Fresno? (I'll do what I have to, to keep my animal. Its just me and her, and "re-homing" her is not an option.)

2.What is the actual base like? I will be working at the hospital, which I understand is smaller, and I am wondering in general what the community (and hospital!) is like, and how I can integrate myself into it, as seamlessly as possible.

3. Big-time hiker/outdoors enthusiast here. How close is the nearest decent hiking location? I realize that Lemoore is essentially a valley area, but just wondering if mountains are proximal/even visible on the horizon? What about swimming (either beach or lake)? Are these reasonable weekend prospects?

Thanks inn advance, for any elucidation provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietitianVicky View Post
Hello, City-Data,

I am a newly-commissioned Navy officer, who just got orders for my first duty assignment..NAS Lemoore! I am excited for my upcoming transition (February 2013) I was hoping someone with a working knowledge of the area might be able to assist me. Not only am I making the initial transition from civilian to military life, but I will be doing it in a brand-new setting. Needless to say, Im very excited, but also a little nervous.

1. Can anyone suggest rental housing off base that is proximal to the installation, but that allows pets? I have a 37 pound Weimaraner and I cannot find any apartment complexes in Lemoore that would allow a dog over twenty pounds. I'm frankly getting worried, and wondering what my housing options are. Do people commute from Fresno? (I'll do what I have to, to keep my animal. Its just me and her, and "re-homing" her is not an option.)

2.What is the actual base like? I will be working at the hospital, which I understand is smaller, and I am wondering in general what the community (and hospital!) is like, and how I can integrate myself into it, as seamlessly as possible.

3. Big-time hiker/outdoors enthusiast here. How close is the nearest decent hiking location? I realize that Lemoore is essentially a valley area, but just wondering if mountains are proximal/even visible on the horizon? What about swimming (either beach or lake)? Are these reasonable weekend prospects?

Thanks inn advance, for any elucidation provided.
Former airman here. Lemoore was my first squadron duty station, as well. That was a few hundred years ago (when we were still dropping sacks of sh*t on targets from hot air balloons), however: Fresno is a bit of a push for a commute ... pretty close to an hour at commute times to get out of town and then along the highway -- even though the distance is only about 40 miles. I suppose you've looked at Hanford, as well? I could imagine that some small houses might be up for fair pricies in this economy down there in the valley.

Lemoore is a pretty nice base itself, as far as facilities. The area is barren, however. For your outdoor adventures, you have some exploring and adjustments to make.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM

43 posts, read 138,636 times
Thanks so much. LOL about the hot air balloon quip
I did find a couple rentals in Hanford, but from mapping it out they appear to take almost as long (driving time, not mileage). As from Fresno to base. Is this accurate?

No outdoorsy stuff, huh? I don't mind driving a couple hours on a weekend day, if the hiking/swimming is worth it. I keep seeing Sequoia mentioned on online. I'm assuming that's reasonably close? Would it be worth it for a day hike?

Hmm. Well, thank you. I appreciate all your help.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I did find a couple rentals in Hanford, but from mapping it out they appear to take almost as long (driving time, not mileage). As from Fresno to base. Is this accurate?

No outdoorsy stuff, huh? I don't mind driving a couple hours on a weekend day, if the hiking/swimming is worth it. I keep seeing Sequoia mentioned on online. I'm assuming that's reasonably close? Would it be worth it for a day hike?

Check your Google maps .... but my recollection is that Hanford is a pretty easy drive compared to Fresno ... it is at least 15 minutes closer -- and no real traffic at commute times. Some of the other sh*t-bag-droppers in my squadron rented in Hanford and I don't recall anyone late for duty

Couple hours certainly gets you into the wilderness of Sequoia ... yep. Just gotta get past the flat, dusty plain of Fresno area a ways.

Enjoy, and take care of those in the hospital ... I did near four months straight of Jello and high-protein shakes at the now closed Oak Knoll Naval Hospital (Oakland) when I came home "early" from second tour in Vietnam. Well, after a couple months I could eat real food and added the ubiquitous chicken, mashed 'taters, and green beans -- and more Jello and shakes

Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Quote:

Must be that new Naval gps navigation stuff, threw away the paper charts/maps.

Hanford is 8 miles, Fresno is 33 miles.

Sequoia Kings Canyon Park has hundreds of miles of trails, from day hikes to weeks. about 2 hours away. Yosemite Park, roughly 90 miles, 2-3 hours, hundreds of miles of trail.

The beach, Pismo or Morro about 2 hours. 100 miles.

The nice part of the Central Valley, other than warm summer evenings, is that it is easy to get out of.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
I'll second (third?) Hanford as being a good location for you. A long time ago I used to drive from Hanford to Lemoore often in the course of my job and remember it as being an easy drive. You will really appreciate the shorter drive in the winter when the F-O-G settles in. You literally cannot see past the hood of your car! Don't worry, you will learn to navigate through it ok but I just wanted to forewarn you about it.
Hanford has an attractive downtown area and is home of the Superior Dairy Products cafe. Of course being as I see "dietitiian" in your name you may find it challenge to go there - but do it least once just to say you went!
I hope you enjoy your stay at LNAS (and surrounding envirions) and thank you for your service!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Well, Hanford is only 8 miles or so from Lemoore, the town ... but it is about 20 miles into the Naval Air Station ... so. That said, it is still closer and easier to drive, even though the highway is smaller (used to be, anyway) than Fresno.

And yep, you can head either east or west to find fun in a couple hours. Morro Bay area is one of my favorites in all California ... Montana deOro State Park a ways past Morro Bay, through Los Osos, is a complete knockout. Also, a bit further south from Morro and Montana deOro, the Vandenburg Air Force Base is ginormous and has camping, hiking, hunting, fishing. Also, on hwy 198, across 101 a ways to the west (and north of San Luis Obispo) is Fort Hunter-Liggitt ... an Army / Reserve / National Guard training reservation with over 165,000 acres of pretty much wilderness / training grounds ... large parts of which are open to the public for hunting and hiking ... there is a dusty, super-quiet little campground there ... and miles away is a hilariously small, funky base with a couple of little shops for basic foods (and a movie theatre, I think ).

You can also cross all the way over to Big Sur ... and sensational coastline / wilderness doesn't get any better than that.

So yeah, a couple hours gets you "out there" ... watch out for the ticks ... the place is loaded ... also: make sure your dog is protected from heartworm in California.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM

There are two sections to the air station. The runways hangers etc are 14 miles from Lemoore, but, there is another section, Housing? Just a couple of miles west of Lemoore town.

In 1968 or 69 I was on 41 heading north. We watched a jet come in low and fast and go up in a ball of fire between 41 and the station. Could not have been good. dunno if the pilot ejected.

You can see pictures of Montana De Oro on the thread, A Ride in the Country.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
There are two sections to the air station. The runways hangers etc are 14 miles from Lemoore, but, there is another section, Housing? Just a couple of miles west of Lemoore town.

In 1968 or 69 I was on 41 heading north. We watched a jet come in low and fast and go up in a ball of fire between 41 and the station. Could not have been good. dunno if the pilot ejected.

You can see pictures of Montana De Oro on the thread, A Ride in the Country.
I lived in barracks not far from main gate. The fellas having all the fun lived in the two towns: Lemoore and Hanford. (No one lived in Fresno.)

Balls of flame happen. They are never good.

Montana De Oro, A Ride in the Country ... I knew it! I asked you on that thread if that's where the pictures were taken ... you ignored me ... I am vindicated now ... as usual, I was right

Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Balls of flame happen. They are never good.

Montana De Oro, A Ride in the Country ... I knew it! I asked you on that thread if that's where the pictures were taken ... you ignored me ... I am vindicated now ... as usual, I was right
Sorry, did not mean to ignore you. Too much stimulation and my poor brain doesn't see stuff..... Yep,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California