U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 AM

983 posts, read 1,111,107 times

Advertisements

Hey take it from someone who lives in the "Nouveau" New York in South Florida, the accents and attitudes are in full effect, but at least they speak English and assimilate into the culture, that is until the Yankees are in town lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEM35NlmRqw

Old 07-31-2010, 02:19 PM

19,015 posts, read 16,238,127 times
I must be a mistake. My parents were both from New Rochelle, NY, just north of NYC, neither had really appreciable eastern accents and I had the poor taste to be born in San Diego, thanks to the Marine Corps.

Never mind that my father spent at least half of his 23 year career in CA, retired there and my parents lived the bulk their remaining 30 or so years there, I guess they were still CA immigrants, albeit legal, while I was a native by accident of birth.

Funny! I spent over half my life in CA and was never aware that it was being over-taken by nor'easterners. It always seemed like more Mexicans and South Americans with sizeable contingents of Asians, Middle Europeans and Near Easterners to me.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:42 PM

10,336 posts, read 13,744,540 times
I know so many Boston transplants in San Diego, pretty much all of them are very cool and chill and a couple are some of my close friends now. Most New Yorkers I met are cool deep down but kind of annoying on the surface; not shutting up about how they're from NYC and how they do it over there. The Boston transplants seem to assimilate better and don't really bring up their hometown unless asked.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:34 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,103,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I just saw this map, Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com
on another forum.

If you click on the two of the most populous counties in CA, e.g. Santa Clara County or LA County, you'll see where everyone is coming from.

I found it downright depressing. Too many times I've heard someone say "I'm from New York" without having been asked; North Easterners seem like some of the most brash, obnoxious people I've had to tolerate, and they're still pouring in.

Now it's no mystery as to why so many people in the Silicon Valley are such a((holes- they're from Back East.

In a perfect world, native CA'ers could enact legislation to retard the flow of people from those states so as to retard the slow but eventual reduction of QOL that comes with NE'ers.

In this world, though, CA will slowly become more like the NE
In a perfect world, native CA'ers could enact legislation to slow the flow of retards from those states.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 PM

205 posts, read 280,429 times
Quote:
on another forum.

If you click on the two of the most populous counties in CA, e.g. Santa Clara County or LA County, you'll see where everyone is coming from.

I found it downright depressing. Too many times I've heard someone say "I'm from New York" without having been asked; North Easterners seem like some of the most brash, obnoxious people I've had to tolerate, and they're still pouring in.

Now it's no mystery as to why so many people in the Silicon Valley are such a((holes- they're from Back East.

In a perfect world, native CA'ers could enact legislation to retard the flow of people from those states so as to retard the slow but eventual reduction of QOL that comes with NE'ers.

Seems kind of an odd point of view considering how unloved Californians are in many parts of the country. And since California is exporting more residents than importing, the "California problem" is probably more pervasive than the "New York problem".

Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM

5,441 posts, read 7,042,096 times
Quote:
on another forum.

I find this offensive as a native northeasterner myself. Im from Connecticut originally, we're not all brash ass holes the way we are portrayed. Sadly, shows like Jersey Shore dont help.

If you think northeasterners pouring into California is such a serious problem, believe me, there are far more in Florida. I lived in Orlando for 10 years a majority of people I knew were from New York. Some were like what you described, but most of them were pretty cool people. Did you know folks from the NE view Californians the same way you do about NE people? Its true

Not to be rude, just stating my opinion

Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,382,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
As if it isn't obvious after one woid from their mouth. I mean word.

In my experience, upstate New Yorkers tend to not have that brash, in-yer-face annoying attitude associated with NYC and parts of NJ. I can't count how many transplanted NYC types I've met over the years whose main purpose in life is to blather on about how dis is betta back home and dat is betta back home and dis is da way we do it back home ad infinitum, ad nauseam. It's as if they think we actually f'in CARE.
you really make me laugh but I better be careful since I am planning to visit my relatives in the Bronx this year. Maybe they will laugh at my California accent but I don't believe we have accents in California though some disagree with me.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:45 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,269,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Because your family has been here how many centuries?
More than yours. We are definitely NOT immigrants. As a group I don't like immigrants because they are a drain on resources like oil, electricity, water, food, jobs, schools, infrastructure, they increase pollution, and change the fabric of the country. This is the United States of America; not China, not Mexico, not Brazil, not Japan, not the Phillippines, not Vietnam, not India, not Armenia or any other country.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 AM

7,156 posts, read 18,404,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
More than yours. We are definitely NOT immigrants. As a group I don't like immigrants because they are a drain on resources like oil, electricity, water, food, jobs, schools, infrastructure, they increase pollution, and change the fabric of the country. This is the United States of America; not China, not Mexico, not Brazil, not Japan, not the Phillippines, not Vietnam, not India, not Armenia or any other country.
My family is immigrants and fought in WWI, WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. What have you done for your country?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,716,019 times
Imagine that, everybody who lives in Cal are not all from Cal(being sarcastic of course) but from somewhere else. I guess that blows the theory of the Cal bashers that they must be " Californians."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California