Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,451 times

Advertisements

Hey, I currently live in Massachusetts where I have one more year at UMASS Amherst. I am studying both psychology and early childhood education with intentions on teaching pre k to second grade. While I'm young I'd like to venture across the country to California except I've never been there! Thus I have no idea which towns/cities will be great for me. Please help me!! Here's some things about me that I'm looking for in a new home-town....

-I'm a vegan, so healthy earthy crunchy food is important!
-I like to protect our Earth by conserving and recycling
-I want to work at a preschool/kindergarten school where they value health and ecofriendliness
-I love the beach!
-and camping and hiking and kayaking
-I'm not a city gal..but near one would be okay
-I'm also looking to attend a graduate school within a year or two of the move to California (maybe the school I work for will Aid me )
-oh ya know, cheaper the better-new college grad and all..

PLease, please if anyone knows any resources as far as schools for jobs or grad school, towns, anything!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
You could try Santa Cruz. It's on a beach, lots of outdoor stuff, home to UC Santa Cruz, once you establish residency. I'm not sure about the job situation. I doubt you could get in any public schools but maybe a private preschool, although they often pay very little from what I hear, and I've not heard of them springing for grad school for anyone. Most big corporations have even cut way back on that kind of thing. But who knows. You can eat as you like anywhere, and you can practice your Eco stuff anywhere...but not everyone is going to be like that. Anywhere.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,451 times
Thanks! I'll check it out

Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Make sure your license will transfer over to California. I'm not sure at the primary/ECE level, but at the secondary level you need to pass California specific tests in order to teach (they will not accept my scores and license from VA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California