Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This comparison is disturbingly irrelevant.
It's absolutely relevant to drawing the distinction between ethnicity and behavior...the subject of Highnlite's post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
It's absolutely relevant to drawing the distinction between ethnicity and behavior...the subject of Highnlite's post.
Brenda I respect you. I just don't see how a burglar can accurately be compared to immigration.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 PM

514 posts, read 686,699 times
Quote:
What? Mexicans are allowed to immigrate, always have been.
If that were true, there would be no illegal immigration from Mexico, now, would there?

Ya'll missed my point, here let me say it again, the exact language used to describe Mexicans in this country were used to describe the "yellow peril".

To say my post is irrelevant or I did not make a distinction between ethnicity and behavior, is to miss the point.

And that is very simple, moral vs immoral.

In brief, Mexican immigration is seen as dangerous to America, and Mexicans are dangerous criminals.

1882 Chinese immigration is seen as dangerous to America and Chinese are dangerous criminals,

I don't much care what you believe, just so long as you understand that hatred of the "other" is as American as apple pie.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:47 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
I dislike both political parties, but I've heard this "quote" before. Can you cite references? ...Are you saying Reagan would support a different political party today, and if so, which one?

I might add, that if you look back, likely JFK would not be a present day Democrat.
There are several articles addressing how Ronald Reagan was a pragmatist and much more concerned about the environment that a typical Republican. Reagan backed away from the Republican "Bible-belt" types even when defending homosexuals was unheard of.

"As governor, Reagan was the biggest California spender of the last half century. Under him, state spending leaped 177%. And as president, he spent like the proverbial drunken sailor to expand the Navy and the nuclear missile arsenal while winning the Cold War. He left Washington with a then-record national debt.

His first year as governor, Reagan raised taxes equal to 30% of the state general fund, still a modern record. And as president, he increased taxes several times, although conservatives pretend to remember only the one big tax cut.

As governor, Reagan protected the spectacular John Muir Trail in the Sierra from highway builders and Central Valley business interests. He blocked dam building on the Eel and Feather rivers. He and Republican Gov. Paul Laxalt of Nevada set aside their aversion to centralized, intrusive government and created a bi-state agency to control growth at Lake Tahoe.

Reagan signed legislation creating the California Air Resources Board, leading to the nation's first tailpipe emissions standards.

Now Republicans Whitman and Fiorina advocate postponing implementation of a law to control greenhouse gas emissions.

Today, Reagan would be tagged by his party as an environmental extremist.

As governor, Reagan signed the nation's then most liberal abortion rights bill. (He later called it a mistake.) He opposed a ballot initiative that would have permitted the firing of teachers for being gay.

President Reagan signed a bill granting amnesty to illegal immigrants".

Today's GOP could snub even Reagan - latimes.com

Reagan wouldn't recognize this GOP - latimes.com

Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Brenda I respect you. I just don't see how a burglar can accurately be compared to immigration.
Simple. If they're here illegaly they're stealing both our space and jobs and in all too many cases, our tax dollars.

What part of that is difficult to comprehend?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
The subject of his post was that all Chinese - regardless of behavior - were once upon a time excluded from immigrating to the United States. That law was based solely on discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, not behavior. Your post is totally irrelevant.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
The subject of his post was that all Chinese - regardless of behavior - were once upon a time excluded from immigrating to the United States. That law was based solely on discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, not behavior. Your post is totally irrelevant.
So, in your reading of the bill, which ethnic groups does SB1070 prevent from immigrating to the U.S. solely on the basis of ethnicity, not behavior?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:33 PM

514 posts, read 686,699 times
Quote:
Simple. If they're here illegaly they're stealing both our space and jobs and in all too many cases, our tax dollars.

What part of that is difficult to comprehend?
Ah yes, stealing our jobs, I see the tea partiers out protesting that the illegals get all the good jobs.

And, if you read my post, even if the false statistics were true for California and the illegals cost the state 20 billion bucks a year, they contribute 29 billion bucks a year, in agriculture alone.

Ideology is a tricky thing, it will trump facts every time.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
So, in your reading of the bill, which ethnic groups does SB1070 prevent from immigrating to the U.S. solely on the basis of ethnicity, not behavior?
Don't change the subject. You were responding to the other poster's statement that the US has a history of racist immigration policies, with the Chinese Exclusion Act being exhibit A. You said that such a policy was not based on discrimination by ethnicity, but rather by behavior. Well, the law was called the "Chinese Exclusion Act", not the "Chinese Misbehaving Badly Exclusion Act".

Old 07-30-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
It's actually an illustration, not a comparison, but the commonality is unlawful entry. Whether the unlawful entry is into a dwelling (in violation of California Penal Code 459), or into a country (in violation of U.S. Code, Title 8, Sec. 1325), neither the perpetrator's country of origin nor race has any bearing on the justifiability of the violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California