Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
Culture is everywhere. You can certainly find it in Los Angeles (and if you "can't," you're not looking). Most of what you said is debatable and a matter of opinion. I personally love LA and the views are spectacular. It's a large city (both in population and actual city size) and has a lot to offer. I have beautiful views of mountains where I live in the city. You can get breathtaking views of the city from Mulholland Drive and out on Mulholland Highway you can get breathtaking views of the Pacific.

The smog is unfortunate and some days are much better than others. No city is perfect and without its problems.
I Agree ladoll, there is a lot of beauty to be found in LA. Unfortunately many ppl's view of it is simply from the freeway or a couple of stops here and there along the way. You just have to know where to look.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I Agree ladoll, there is a lot of beauty to be found in LA. Unfortunately many ppl's view of it is simply from the freeway or a couple of stops here and there along the way. You just have to know where to look.

Derek
LOVE the pictures and thank-you for posting them! I have been up in Palo Alto for the summer and I really miss Los Angeles/southern California. I have one week left up here, then I'm going to to Lake Arrowhead for a few days and back home to sweet home LA!

And you are spot on - I think people get the wrong idea of LA from what they hear and see on TV. They think it's all superficial and don't even stop to consider the other things going on in LA/the LA area outside of Hollywood and Beverly Hills. We have museums here, too, and many great universities. There is so much to Los Angeles beyond the freeways, smog, and celebrities.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
I love los angeles! If I had the choice between those two cities only, I'd go with LA without a doubt

Here's why I love LA.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/aboutthatplace/California%20-%20Southern/100_0100_0001.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 PM

349 posts, read 990,221 times
Hello,

Not sure if the OP's still checking this thread, but I feel the following article does a good job of explaining why the singles scene in LA is particularly tough (from a man's viewpoint).

Dr. Ali Binazir: Is Los Angeles the Toughest Town for Singles?

Quote:

Quote:
The quality of my love life was worse than it had been in any other city. For the first two years, I just assumed I had suddenly gotten ugly and stupid. Then I heard multitudes of other people voicing similar experiences.

Now after six years of being in this town... I’m pretty sure that Los Angeles is a particularly tough city to be single in – perhaps the toughest in the US.
He cites a skewed sex ratio (too many males) as the #1 reason. Other reasons include huge distances between parts of LA, as well as the transient/phony nature of the entertainment industry that forms a large part of LA's culture. However, those are pretty minor, and the main obstacle in LA seems to be the sheer lack of women, i.e. the numbers are just not there for the men.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Both cities are a lot of fun. I love San Francisco, and I love the Westside of LA. What should matter is career opportunities in this economy and what you appreciate most about an area (recreational opportunities, cultural, dining, etc...). I'm a Northern California, but I can have fun anywhere in California. I prefer the half of the state I live in though because its a little more rich in mountain National Parks and rugged coastline - which I like better than deserts and swimming type beaches. I doubt you'll notice a difference in the dating scene - people are people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California