U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-01-2010, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 1,643 times
Default Fresh out of college, GET ME OUT OF THE SOUTH!

I live in Kentucky and will be graduating within the next semester or two with a degree in geographic information systems and planning. I attend the University of Kentucky, a tier 1 research institution. Looking online, I have found the most job opportunities are to be found on the west coast, especially California.

Question: Which major California metro has the best quality of life? The cheapest? Is traffic really as bad as it's made out to be and if so should I stick to public trans? What kind of recreational opportunities are to be had in each? Do any have large German communities? I'm 20 (graduating early, young, I know) with a girlfriend who would be coming along for the ride.

Thanks a ton!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-01-2010, 03:02 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,041,479 times
It really depends on you and which area you would prefer. California is a huge state with a wide variety of climates, geographic regions, cities, cultures, etc...

It mostly depends on where you can work fresh out of college. The economy isn't the greatest right now in CA. And as a new grad building your experiences should be the main criteria IMO. So find out where you might be able to work. Then compare those cities with the things you enjoy in terms of weather, outdoors activities, etc...

Also keep in mind that cheapest and best economic centers do not normally go together in CA. The major metros are LA, SD, OC, SF, SJ and Sac. None of them are cheap. And they are all rather large regions with millions of ppl and thousands of neighborhoods ranging in size and socioeconomic groupings.

But cheap you will not find here like you do in the South. These areas are prime real estate (location, location, location). So expect some good old fashion West Coast sticker shock which is typical for anyone moving here from the Southwest, Midwest or South. Always has been, always will be.

For cheap(er) you need to move to more outskirt areas (tiers 4, 5, 6,...) away form the larger metros.

Lastly take a trip out at least once to get a general feel for things. It will help you narrow down your choices. If you end up with more than one job offer you will be doing very well all things considered.

Derek

Unread 08-01-2010, 03:06 PM

45,837 posts, read 34,439,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo_9 View Post
I live in Kentucky and will be graduating within the next semester or two with a degree in geographic information systems and planning. I attend the University of Kentucky, a tier 1 research institution. Looking online, I have found the most job opportunities are to be found on the west coast, especially California.

Question: Which major California metro has the best quality of life? The cheapest? Is traffic really as bad as it's made out to be and if so should I stick to public trans? What kind of recreational opportunities are to be had in each? Do any have large German communities? I'm 20 (graduating early, young, I know) with a girlfriend who would be coming along for the ride.

Thanks a ton!
I don't know where you are getting your information, but the west coast, especially Ca and Or has almost no jobs openings. I would imagine those job opportunities are not for real. Many companies post but have no intention of hiring.

As a parent and a grandparent of recent college graduates, I suggest you attend every job fair at the university and see what is really out there.

I can't answer about the large German population, I imagine someone else can. There is no such thing as cheapest, compared to Ky. What are you thinking you can handle for rent say?

It would be very difficult to get by without a car, but many do. Much would depend on where you plan on living and where you get employment.

Of course, if you are looking for a majoy city, Sac would be the best bet as it is a little less expensive than the rest of the metro areas and it is the state Capitol. There are all kinds of recreation opportunities anywhere in Ca, just like there are in Ky. There are lakes, rivers, hiking, fishing, what have you. What do you have in mind and have you ever visited Ca?

Nita

Unread 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,902,325 times
If you graduated early then you must be quite smart...so you should be looking at postgraduate or research both of these options will maximize your earning potential when you finally get a job.
Remember with ever rising retirement ages you want to be earning as much as you can for as long as you can.

Unread 08-01-2010, 04:18 PM

887 posts, read 898,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know where you are getting your information, but the west coast, especially Ca and Or has almost no jobs openings. I would imagine those job opportunities are not for real. Many companies post but have no intention of hiring.
I see jobs plenty of tech/engineering jobs all over the place in CA, I totally avoid recruiters and agencies and only look at direct hires. While it's true everywhere that some employers post jobs to fill their resume banks and/or to fulfill contract obligations for government work, I find it hard to believe they are all fake since some of the companies are small and not global behemoths. Apple and Tesla to name a few, has plenty of jobs listed and I read on several engineering forums that they are indeed hiring.

Unread 08-01-2010, 04:38 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,275,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the west coast, especially Ca and Or has almost no jobs openings.
Actually there are job openings - lots of them! The problem is that there are so many people applying... With unemployment this high it may seem like there are no jobs, but people are getting hired and fired every day.

Besides, the original poster is getting a degree in a specialized field, and who knows? Maybe there are more openings in his field in California, than in his home state?

Quote:
Which major California metro has the best quality of life? The cheapest?
I agree with MtnSurfer, and would suggest forgetting about trying to find the area with the cheapest living expenses, and instead try and find the job that will give you the best experience - and go there, wherever it may be. Honestly, you can find an inexpensive studio in the most expensive city, if you know where to look - and I'm not talking a slum - just not upscale.

But if you really want to know which area has the best quality of life? That's truly just a matter of personal taste. I grew up in San Diego and spend a lot of time in Los Angeles, and love the sun - so San Francisco with it's overcast days would not be a good choice for me. But someone else might Southern California just as wrong a fit, as I would find San Francisco. There is no one "right" answer for everyone when it comes to the California city with the best quality of life - it's a huge state with a lot of variety - and something for almost everyone!

Unread 08-01-2010, 04:52 PM

3,460 posts, read 8,121,925 times
Quote:
Do any have large German communities?
Here's a list of German clubs in the San Francisco area United German-American Societies of San Francisco but SF isn't a cheap place to live - maybe a little cheaper out in the suburbs.

Viel Glueck!

Unread 08-01-2010, 04:59 PM

23,703 posts, read 13,492,902 times
Apply for many jobs and see if you get a bite. Then come see if you are interested in the area where someone wants to interview you. That's the only way to approch this.

Unread 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM

753 posts, read 704,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Apply for many jobs and see if you get a bite. Then come see if you are interested in the area where someone wants to interview you. That's the only way to approch this.
+1.

No job, then forget about it.

With job.. you perhaps could have the financial means to live in a cleaner, safer metro area but your preconception of what you'll get for your money will still have to be adjusted.

Unread 08-01-2010, 09:47 PM

26,365 posts, read 48,977,923 times
Quote:

Question: Which major California metro has the best quality of life?
Which major California metros have you received job offers from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California