U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,065 times

Advertisements

I am in my mid 20's and my husband is in his early 30's and we currently live in South Orange County CA, about 30 minutes from the beach. We love the beach! We both currently work about 9 hours a day. I work at a call center and make good wages (considering I have only a GED and no college degrees.) I have been working full time for about 10 years so I have lots of work experience though, from food service to customer service to management. My husband works in North Orange County which is about an hour commute everyday, and can be longer in traffic. He works an entry level position resolving help desk tickets and other IT issues at a new developing company. He has a 4 year college degree but not much work experience and his wages are pretty low. We are both Baptist, conservative, caucasian.

We are looking to relocate currently. It would work out well if we kept our same jobs but depending on how far away we move we would both be willing to start over at new jobs. Our top areas: we love Newport Beach and Irvine. Newport Beach is perfect because we love love love the beach weather and view, great shopping, very safe, much safer and upkept then the surrounding areas, less homeless and crime. I lived in Huntington Beach for a year and it wasnt even half as nice. There were more homeless people wandering around and the area wasnt as upkept.
Our second choice was Irvine. Although its not as close to the beach as Newport it is rated one of the safest cities. It also has great shopping and a 2 year and a 4 year school. Irvine is also very upkept. Lots of big job options in Irvine is the biggest plus. Lots and lots of businesses.

We have been looking at apartments in both Newport and Irvine and although both cities are what we are looking for they are so expensive! Most likely because of how safe and upkept they are and the distance to the beach. We were hoping to spend maybe $200 or $300 more on rent per month after relocating. We currently pay $1075/month (not including utilities). So $1300 is what we were looking to spend. But the apartments in the areas we were looking at seem to cost around $1800/month to $2500/month or even more! Im sure its worth it because the areas are so nice. At this time its just out of our price range.

You get what you pay for. Our apartment complex is about 30 years old and every part of it is very run down. Our city its self is pretty old and is one of the least nicest parts of South OC. Its still nice compared to downtown LA but we really dont like it here. The plumbing is bad and things fall apart, the washers are always broken in the laundry room, and there is a big bug problem. Its the opposite of upkept. We really want to get a bit closer to the beach in a safe upkept area. Is this even possible without making $80,000/year? My husband and I make a combined income of about $62,000. Which sounds like a lot to some people but to live some where nice in OC its really not a lot. Or maybe I just dont know of the secret nice and affordable areas? We also would consider moving to a beach city outside of Orange County if it were safe and upkept and has jobs available. We are open and considering other areas in CA.

Does anyone know of affordable beach cities? Does this even exist? For about $60,000 a year is there a nice city (safe and upkept) that has jobs within a 30 minute commute where we could get a one bedroom one bathroom apartment? We are looking into newer apartments (built within the last 10 years) that has a washer and dryer inside instead of a laundry room, also that has central heating and air conditioning. Our current place doesnt have central air which is a problem. Any cities or apartments you would suggest? I dont spend much time outside of Orange County so Im sure there is a lot of beach cities out there in CA I dont know about. My husband and I spent some time checking out San Diego over several visits. The weather seems great and close to the beach and it seems to have jobs. But the upkept areas were also very expensive and had lots of loud young fresh-into-college kids with loud parties. We are more low key.

I do plan on going to college once my husband has more job experience and is making more money (so I can work less and go to school) so eventually I should have a degree also. Im hoping within the next 5 years or so we will be making more money. But for now we have to live within our means. Any beach cities in CA that are safe, upkept, and affordable that you could suggest would be so great. I know we could find something affordable now if we wanted to move away from the beaches and into a harsh weather area but we would miss the beach weather so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,944,799 times
Well that's Champagne taste on a PBR budget if I ever saw it.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:05 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,445,013 times
New jobs? Good luck with that.

Quote:
Or maybe I just dont know of the secret nice and affordable areas?
Nope, you know. Look around your area for a better deal on a rental unit. That's your best bet.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM

15,726 posts, read 26,748,770 times
I am in Oxnard and it is very affordable. A new apartment complex was built a few years ago with a washer and dryer in the hallway in a 2 door closet. Unlike some places this one has a full size washer and dryer. The Kitchen has all stainless appliances, including a dishwasher, oven, refrigerator, and microwave. Prices range in the $1,350 for a 1 bedroom to $1,800 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath. The complex offers a jacuzi as large as many complexes pools and a very large pool. They have a resident only gym, club house, dry cleaner, internet service. The place is very nice not only for Oxnard but for anywhere. It is still a drive to the beach though, but you can get to beaches in Oxnard and Ventura from the access to the 101. A 10 minute drive to 6 differant beaches in the area. The area is home to a Junior College in Ventura and in Oxnard and within a short drive to Cal State Channel Islands.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,944,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
New jobs? Good luck with that.

Nope, you know. Look around your area for a better deal on a rental unit. That's your best bet.
Their rent is already low-end for OC and they're not even near the beach.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:37 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,542,763 times
This is what everybody wants. (But not me - the beach is too crowded and cold for me!) Sounds like you better start playing the lottery.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM

4,964 posts, read 6,362,047 times
Your best bet is to increase your income level first, and THEN look for a desirable beach city residence. It sounds like you have the cart before the horse.

Good luck!

Last edited by pacific2; 08-03-2010 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: to remove unwanted text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or