Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM

99 posts, read 193,730 times

Advertisements

Those numbers that were released immediately subsequent after the election have been challenged. Especially those among blacks. Although still higher than any other group support among blacks was around 59%.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post
Those numbers that were released immediately subsequent after the election have been challenged. Especially those among blacks. Although still higher than any other group support among blacks was around 59%.
Maybe that's what I was actually hearing. I know there were suspicions regarding those numbers. If what you say is right, that further negates the point of those who claim a vast majority supported it.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
With regards to the first point, if we are talking about same-sex marriage. It is a fact that any adult in California that is not already married had the right to marry any other consenting adult of their own sex during 2008. I don't see where that can be up for discussion. That right existed, in November of that year it was taken away.

With regards to the second point , that is completely backwards of the truth. Prop 8 took away rights of people, neither the court ruling in 2008 or yesterday took away anyone's right (unless you consider "the right to be free of people I don't like marrying" a right), the lack of a prop 8 wouldn't force anyone to do anything unless they work for the government. The existence of prop 8 prevents certain couples from getting married, that certainly is forcing ones desires on someone else with very real negative consequences for those unable to get married. Prop 8 only pertains to civil marriage, the right to be legally married by the state.
Yep.

And the fact that there are 18,000 legally married same-sex couples in California, who got married in California between June and November of 2008, is clear evidence of this.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Come on htown and Californiasur, stop making examples out of people and their concerns. You guys are looking for entertainment rather than an actual discussion.

edit: I guess the comment was deleted

Last edited by WesternGulf; 08-05-2010 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Maybe that's what I was actually hearing. I know there were suspicions regarding those numbers. If what you say is right, that further negates the point of those who claim a vast majority supported it.
Even if you average the percentages among ethnicity it does not even average out to the 52% support.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Even if you average the percentages among ethnicity it does not even average out to the 52% support.
You're right and that's almost within the margin of error it's such a small majority percentage.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default They do right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And neither should the desire of one group to force their way into an institution that belongs to others. Anyway this is all water under the bridge.

Listen, I've given this a lot of thought and by now am willing to accept allowing gay marriage.

My biggest concern is that I don't believe for one minute that churches will be protected as far as being able to marry whomever they want.

And if you all thought Prop 8 was expensive, just wait until you try to force your way into churches. Then you will all know once and for all extent to which we are willing to go to protect our interests.
Go to a Catholic church with your divorce decree and see if they will marry you.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Go to a Catholic church with your divorce decree and see if they will marry you.
Or, try getting married in a Catholic church if you aren't Catholic.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Come on htown and Californiasur, stop making examples out of people and their concerns. You guys are looking for entertainment rather than an actual discussion.
They are only making fools out of themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur
Yep.

And the fact that there are 18,000 legally married same-sex couples in California, who got married in California between June and November of 2008, is clear evidence of this.
Its evidence that when a certain group is unhappy with the will of the people and want to redefine a basic institution to suit their agenda-they can scream bloody murder to puppet, activist judges who will oblige their whims and indulgences.

Its how these 'marriages' occurred prior to Prop 8 and that's why Prop 8 was put on the ballot and its why Prop 8 passed with 7 Million votes-despite being outspent, despite being villified by the media, despite the Hollywood machine falling overthemselves to fight it, despite politicos from Sacramento to DC lining up to voice their opposition, the people of California still voiced loud and clear on Nov 4, 2008 that we will not surrender ourselves to the demands of anyone or any group.

And that was quite a proud day for our state. The world watched in awe and amazement as we the people of California told the world without equivocation that we will not be intimidated or forced to go along with something we think is wrong.

But based on the comments one finds here, you'd think that its always been that way and with a straight face, to even insinuate such a thing as something historically the case is so outlandishly ridiculous.

That some make this false claim without even batting an eye is downright disturbing.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
And that was quite a proud day for our state. The world watched in awe and amazement as we the people of California told the world without equivocation that we will not be intimidated or forced to go along with something we think is wrong.

But based on the comments one finds here, you'd think that its always been that way and with a straight face, to even insinuate such a thing as something historically the case is so outlandishly ridiculous.

That some make this false claim without even batting an eye is downright disturbing.
For the love of all things good; what are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California