Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Acting as attorney general, Jerry Brown urged Judge Walker to permit gay marriages to resume immediately. Also governor Schwarzenegger is expected to request the resumption of gay marriages.

Meanwhile, candidates are split on Judge Walker's ruling yesterday. Predictably Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina voiced opposition to the federal decision while Senator Boxer praised the action of the judge.

I think this issue is becoming a political "hot potato" with interesting differences among politicians regardless of their party. Do you think the issue of gay marriage will have an effect on November's election?

Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown urges judge to allow same-sex marriages to resume while opponents wait on appeal | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:51 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times
Wow, political candidates pandering to their voters... what a shock! All the talk in the world doesn't matter now, it's in the court's hands... as it should be.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Maybe old Jerry has a favorite we don't know about

Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM

I think it is politically dangerous for both the pro and anti gay marriage politicians so Jerry is acting somewhat boldly. But according to press accounts, Brown is acting con-jointly with Schwarzenegger.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Anybody else remember the last time Jerry Brown was governor and then went off somewhere to become a Buddhist ascetic?

May be a nice guy, but um, is this the kind of *leadership* the state of California needs right now? I'm guessing not.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Anybody else remember the last time Jerry Brown was governor and then went off somewhere to become a Buddhist ascetic?

May be a nice guy, but um, is this the kind of *leadership* the state of California needs right now? I'm guessing not.
What in the world does a "Buddhist ascetic" have to do with Brown urging the federal judge to allow the immediate resumption of gay marriages? Also, Jerry Brown did not do what you assert while governor. I think you have your facts wrong.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What in the world does a "Buddhist ascetic" have to do with Brown urging the federal judge to allow the immediate resumption of gay marriages? Also, Jerry Brown did not do what you assert while governor. I think you have your facts wrong.
Brown's time in a Zen monastery was AFTER he was out of politics (for awhile, anyways)

And I don't think it's so particularly freaky to go to a Zen monastery. Zen Buddhism IMO is what I'd consider a pretty positive religious expression.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:51 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Actually I don't think the gay-rights issue WILL be that important. There are so many other issues. Like whether rich folks who have never paid any mind to politics before should be taken seriously as candidates.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Brown's time in a Zen monastery was AFTER he was out of politics (for awhile, anyways)

And I don't think it's so particularly freaky to go to a Zen monastery. Zen Buddhism IMO is what I'd consider a pretty positive religious expression.
I have much more respect for that than I do the pursuance of certain other popular mainstream religions, which will remain nameless in order to prevent another religious squabble.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I have much more respect for that than I do the pursuance of certain other popular mainstream religions, which will remain nameless in order to prevent another religious squabble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California