Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:50 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Very interesting. In our county here in the boondocks, there are no building codes. When we had our house inspected before purchasing it we chose a retired fire marshall/ investigator who definitely knew his stuff. The house is surprisingly well made with features that would exceed the building codes in most places. But you do have to be careful. Caveat emptor is decidedly the order of the day!
I purchased an older home built in 1940 prior to any sort of inspections.

Floor has 2"x12" floor joists 16" OC and it is the real 2"x12" lumber and not the 1 5/8"x10 5/8" you would see passed off as a 2"x12" today.

Sub-floor is 2"x10" planks covered with 1" hardwood. House now 70 years old and not a creak or squeak anywhere.

Exterior stud walls are 2x8's and all interior walls are famed with 2x6's. Roof rafters are famed using 2x10's both upper and lower chords. Sub-roof is 2x10 planks.

I have looked and have yet to find a knothole larger than a dime.

[b]It is a small house, just 1,400 sq. ft., but I am willing to bet there is more real lumber in that house than most new houses twice the size today.

But kudos's to you for mentioning the magic words "Caveat emptor" and it is time people who are about to spend several hundred thousand dollars to take some personal responsibility by 1)spend a week or two at a local library learning about construction instead of watching American Idol and 2) stop looking for other people do buy your way out when you made a stupid mistake purchasing a house made of stucco and plywood.

For one and two family dwellings the building department should not even be involved which would allow for building departments to be cut by 80%.

Just to be clear I said building departments not zoning. Zoning would determine what type of structure so a trailer park isn't put in next to a million dollar home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Building permits and inspections are designed to protect the banks that create and loan money on the properties. The more costs associated with the building of houses the higher the loan and the more the bank earns in interest. Therefore you will be financially raped and you will tuck your tail between your legs and take it without complaint.
This is no longer a country of the people, by the people, and for the people, it is a country owned and run, of, by, and for the banks and the government lackeys who do their bidding.
That makes zero sense. Seems like you hate the banks etc. so much that you are projecting an issue not of their doing onto them. Lot's of other areas don't have such high costs and fees after all.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
A Mr.Brian Pope of yucaipa wrote the article & sent it to the yucaipa news mirror which is generally pro city.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:14 AM

We as residents & tax payers need to monitor out city hall & know every city employees salaries. I called the city twice & was put on hold & then disconnected. Something smells fishy in yucaipa city hall. By this nov all county & city employees salaries must be made publc. Its about time. Ca is full of corruption.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM

434 posts, read 848,822 times
Great discussion. Thanks for starting this thread steel7. This should be required reading in schools where our tax money is used to brainwash kids into thinking government is essential. Interesting that when it comes to a discussion of hard facts the left leaning types who often dominate discussions on these forums just disappear. Unless a topic can be approached emotionally they have little to say. Excessive government has driven CA to the brink of financial collapse.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
An architects seal for a residential building should be enough. They know the codes, they are licensed by the state and they know more about inspections than any overfed bureaucrat.

Here is how a building department should operate.

For a fee of $50 the building department accepts and approves plans bearing the seal and signature of a registered architect. If something is wrong let him be the responsible party.

The building department does not review plans they simply issue the permit to build.

During construction the architect performs the following inspections; foundation, framing, plumbing, electrical and final completion. At the completion of the job the architect issues the application for occupancy permit with his signature and seal making him personally responsible.

With letter in hand the owner presents to the building department who accepts the architects letter and issues the occupancy permit. No inspectors or inspections required.

Down the road if something is found wrong the owner can go after the registered professional who carries errors and omissions insurance and perhaps a performance bond.

For residential occupancies a city the size of Sacramento need only one person to be employed by the building department and that can be anyone who can fill out two forms and collect the $100 fee.
This is very well thought out and entirely logical as I see it.

I recently had my house repiped with copper and after the work was done the contractor told me they are authorized by the city to self inspect. I was doubtful and called the city and discovered that it was true.

I don't see any difference between letting a plumbing contractor self inspect and letting the architect and builder self inspect. However I believe that a smart buyer would bring in their own qualified expert too, to pass judgement on the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Now, cities here want to ban or surcharge for all grocery bags... no more take out in foam containers and new ordinances that McDonald cannot include collectible toys with Happy Meals

It seems that many in CA have nothing better to do other than dictate how business is to be run...
I'm pretty sure that's going to happen, that supermarkets will be required to charge some set fee for each plastic or paper bag, and the fees will go to administration of the program and the rest to some tree hugger feel good kind of stuff.

The idea is to encourage people to use reusable bags. I already do that a lot of the time. Ralphs gives me 5 cents per bag each time I use my reusable bags.

This is definitely going to happen, the only question is when. What bothers me is that there is so much other packaging that is just going to be the same old stuff, like for example the foam and plastic that meats and poultry mostly come in.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Everyone needs to email their city hall & put them on notice. Let them know you're mad as hell & you're not going to take it anymore. Those rat bastards are fleecing us. DONT trust politicians & city hall.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Everyone needs to email their city hall & put them on notice. Let them know you're mad as hell & you're not going to take it anymore. Those rat bastards are fleecing us. DONT trust politicians & city hall.
And yet you, not you personally, but you/we the people continue to re-elect them and/or permit them to create family political dynasties. The buck stops with the people!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
That would result in absolutely zero reaction. Some PA might send you a form reply.

Get this: They. Don't. Care.

They know that most people won't do a thing. They can ignore a few vociferous complainers.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
This is a good discussion. It isn't this bad here in Minnesota but the politicians are sure working hard to make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California