Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
It is true that illegal hispanics are very underrepresented in gangs, and in prison, it seems that they came here to work, and are doing that, with little spare time for killing, maiming, robbing.
They represent over 10% of the state prison population--and that's too much.

I like this idea:
Quote:
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Monday that the state could save $1 billion by building and operating prisons in Mexico to house undocumented felons who are currently imprisoned in California.

Will California Say "Hasta La Vista" to Illegal Alien Prisoners? (Wizbang)
Isnt it ironic.

In any event, we are overburdened by not being able to regulate who comes here and that is unacceptable imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:23 PM

514 posts, read 686,511 times
It is easy to manipulate figures but generally the stats that show high levels of illegals in prison are found only on the anti immigration websites.

Here are a couple of facts.

35% of California's population is foreign born
but only 17% of the prison population is foreign born, this shows that citzens outweigh foreign borne in the prison population.

If you isolate to males 18 to 40 the most common criminal age group. Ctizens have 10 times the incarceration rate of foreign born.

Quote:
on average, between 2000 and 2005,
cities that had a higher share of recent immigrants saw their crime rates
fall further than cities with a lower share. This finding is especially strong
when it comes to violent crime.
Finally, even if immigrants are less likely to engage in criminal activity
than the average native, the criminal activity of their U.S.-born children is
also of interest. Therefore, we briefly discuss current evidence on later generations,
finding continued low levels of criminal activity.
Taken together, our findings suggest that spending additional dollars
to reduce immigration or to increase enforcement against the foreign-born
will not have a high return in terms of public safety. The foreign-born in
California already have extremely low rates of criminal activity
There is a simple reason why illegals do not commit crimes at the same rate as citizens.
Quote:
If one is in the country
illegally—either by illegal entry
or by abusing a visa—then one
is deportable even without criminal
activity. But criminal activity
makes it more likely that one’s
illegal status will come to the
attention of authorities.
There are of course, illegal aliens in prison for the sole fact of being illegal.

I also have not found any State of California, that is, reliable figures as to the percent of illegal vs legal foreign born. In fact, that does not seem to be a category, at all.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
It is easy to manipulate figures but generally the stats that show high levels of illegals in prison are found only on the anti immigration websites.

Here are a couple of facts.

35% of California's population is foreign born
but only 17% of the prison population is foreign born, this shows that citzens outweigh foreign borne in the prison population.

If you isolate to males 18 to 40 the most common criminal age group. Ctizens have 10 times the incarceration rate of foreign born.

There is a simple reason why illegals do not commit crimes at the same rate as citizens.

There are of course, illegal aliens in prison for the sole fact of being illegal.

I also have not found any State of California, that is, reliable figures as to the percent of illegal vs legal foreign born. In fact, that does not seem to be a category, at all.
Once again, no one is going after all foreign born residents. Just the Illegal ones.

And that is where the focus is. People who have gone through the scrutiny of the State Department and have been given permission to legally enter this country should have nothing to fear.

But Illegals, especially ones who come here and commit heinous crimes, or even petty crimes, really should be sent packing, preferably back to a jail there.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 PM

212 posts, read 475,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Immigration: No Correlation With Crime - TIME

"While people born abroad make up about 35% of California's adult population, they account for only about 17% of the adult prison population, the report by the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC) showed. Indeed, among men ages 18 to 40 — the demographic most likely to be imprisoned — those born in the U.S. were 10 times more likely than foreign-born men to be incarcerated."

First, thanks for the reference... BUT, from the same article:

"Critics note that studies such as those mentioned above rarely distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants. Reliable data that separates the two groups is hard to find, but Indiana University economist Eric Rasmusen has culled figures from a 2005 GAO report on foreigners incarcerated in Federal and state prisons to calculate that illegal immigrants commit 21% of all crime in the United States, costing the country more than $84 billion."[LEFT]
Read more: Immigration: No Correlation With Crime - TIME

Is anyone going to try to convince me that 21% of America is comprised of Illegal Aliens? (Before ya all jump... I know the error of comparing the different sampling pools. Call me crazy, but I'll trust the GAO over the Public Policy Institute of California any day... Regardless, the raw data from federal and state prisons and jails must exist....?)

Maybe "someone" (Baiter-boy?) will find "cultural reasons" or "socially downtrodden reasons" or "economically disadvantaged reasons" that those who are here ILLEGALLY should continue, and progress, their illegal behaviour...

It will lead to enlightenment and TOTALLY changed social policy... perfect harmony, and happy aligned wonderfulness...
[/LEFT]

Look. Enforce the borders. My bet, this simple action would change the ethnic makeup of California's "Most wanted fugitive list", regardless of the excuse pandered by what ever politician has something to gain... ...and "baiter-boys" inner demons.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:43 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
California's Most Wanted Fugitives - California Deptartment of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

I would point out that in looking at this page many years ago, it was dominated by African American males, with the occasional Caucasian or mixed male; every now and then a Hispanic male. Never any females. The list now paints a different picture.

No, I don't know if any of these guys are illegals.

My question though: has crime in California changed such that Hispanics are now primarily the ones committing the most egregious of crimes, and if so, when did that change? Was there a singular event or pattern of events that led up to this?
What the?? They are all Hispanic! Wow.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Rawrrr, phit, phit, rawrr...

Someone awoke on the wrong side of the bed, eh?

I only pointed out that the number of LATINOS on California's "Most Wanted Fugitive List" is too high statistically, given the percentage of reported Latinos and Hispanics in the state of California.

...I, uh, supported that with statistics from the US Census Bureau

YOU may take that however you wish, Baiter-boy.

Frightened... he he he. Baiter-boy, Baiter-boy, you are a funny person.
And you are an obnoxious person who has returned to California from who knows where [and could care less]. You responded to my statement
Quote:
Californio Sur: Factor in poverty and gangs = crime".
: And your response was:
Quote:
AwayAndBackToSac: Regardless of excuse, latinos are over represented on this list.
So I ask the question if you suggesting that Latino's are by nature criminals? If that was not your intent that lets drop this. But my hunch, based on your past posts, is that you actually believe Latinos and perhaps Blacks are criminally-inclined. And if that is really what you think than please back it up with something other than your usual response which is to avoid and change the subject. If this is nothing more than a mistaken assumption than please accept my apology.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 PM

212 posts, read 475,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
And you are an obnoxious person who has returned to California from who knows where [and could care less]. You responded to my statement: And your response was: So I ask the question if you suggesting that Latino's are by nature criminals? If that was not your intent that lets drop this. But my hunch, based on your past posts, is that you actually believe Latinos and perhaps Blacks are criminally-inclined. And if that is really what you think than please back it up with something other than your usual response which is to avoid and change the subject. If this is nothing more than a mistaken assumption than please accept my apology.

Ew, Baiter-boy, the demons are strong with you today...

"Racism, racism, racism"... I hope one day you grow beyond this.

I HAVE NEVER MADE SUCH ASSERTIONS CONCERNING ETHNICITY, and (for other's reading this), Baiter-boy knows this. Such delusions of persecution only reaffirm his need to assert his ethnicity... Or/and they reinforce my new nick-name for him...

Regardless, there are too many Latino's on that list, and regardless of "excuse" Baiter-boy knows this.

Recommendations previously given, I note, without ethnic prejudice.

Last edited by AwayAndBackToSac; 08-08-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 04:49 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Ew, Baiter-boy, the demons are strong with you today...

"Racism, racism, racism"... I hope one day you grow beyond this.

I HAVE NEVER MADE SUCH ASSERTIONS CONCERNING ETHNICITY, and (for other's reading this), Baiter-boy knows this. Such delusions of persecution only reaffirm his need to assert his ethnicity... Or/and they reinforce my new nick-name for him...

Regardless, there are too many Latino's on that list, and regardless of "excuse" Baiter-boy knows this.

Recommendations previously given, I note, without ethnic prejudice.
Please have the decency of referring to me by my own name. Name calling is the last resort of limited smarts but I'm sure I'm not the first one to tell you that if you think back to your painful high school career [pity it ended before graduation].

Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
It is time for us Hispanics to clean up house in America. We need to weed out this filth that give us a bad name and blights our neighborhoods.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Quote:
Is anyone going to try to convince me that 21% of America is comprised of Illegal Aliens? (Before ya all jump... I know the error of comparing the different sampling pools. Call me crazy, but I'll trust the GAO over the Public Policy Institute of California any day... Regardless, the raw data from federal and state prisons and jails must exist....?)

actually, the 21% number did not come directly from the GAO, it's the work of Mr. Rasmusen, and it has been thoroughly debunked:

The Politics of Immigration: The Undocumented Commit 21 Percent of Crimes?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California