U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2010, 07:29 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,045,481 times
My son is at Imperial college reading Physics and loves it and my daughter is spending loads of other peoples money so it all suits me just fine.
Have fun and enjoy the Simi Valley.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:24 PM

471 posts, read 688,143 times
The state taxes are some of the highest in the country, and will likely only get worse as California attempts to shore up a seriously heinous financial situation.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 AM

7 posts, read 8,592 times
though deductions are taken, i think they will be adding in your IT later.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:09 AM

514 posts, read 104,605 times
Quote:
The state taxes are some of the highest in the country, and will likely only get worse as California attempts to shore up a seriously heinous financial situation.
Sure they are, but read what I posted on the difference between California, and a "low" state like Nevada. The difference is not very much.

Deciding where to live because of the tax rate, without taking into account all the other factors is much like being attracted to a girl because she has nice eyebrows, without paying attention to the rest of her.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,224,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
I lived in the UK for 8 years. The taxes in California don't scare me

Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM

5,375 posts, read 6,734,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintocalifornia View Post
I am in the process of moving to California from Texas for a job. I am trying to understand the state income tax, could use a little help. Is it similar to federal income tax - where you get deductions for dependents, donations, mortgage interest, etc...?
Yes, it's very similar. The biggest difference is some deductions and credits may be in federal but not state, or may be in state but not federal.

For most people you fill out your federal tax forms, then you copy several of the most important numbers from your 1040 directly on your state equivalent form (540). Next you fill out a California adjustments page which sums up the differences between state and federal, and then finally complete the 540.

For most people the state tax return is just the basic form (540) and the adjustments page. The Franchise Tax Board has access to your federal forms so they can just look it up on the IRS computer if they need to verify anything.

I believe we do have pretty high taxes compared to most other states, and you know that several states have no state income tax at all. They probably find more imaginative ways to stick it to their citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California