Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

He's referring to the recent decision to allow gay marriages in CA to proceed despite the fact that the federal district court decision is going to be appealed:

BBC News - California same-sex marriages 'can resume' next week

But Nita, you're right. Doesn't mean the issue is resolved; it will definitely be going to the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
He's referring to the recent decision to allow gay marriages in CA to proceed despite the fact that the federal district court decision is going to be appealed:

BBC News - California same-sex marriages 'can resume' next week

But Nita, you're right. Doesn't mean the issue is resolved; it will definitely be going to the Supreme Court.
This issue just goes so deep, for anyone to think gays can just go out and get married in Ca and have it legal (in the future) is premature.

Nita

Old 08-13-2010, 05:59 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm81004 View Post
Well, roaddog I have to disagree. That kind of attitude is exactly why I am getting the hell out of Colorado. It is hostile and basically tells me that I am a second class citizen. Just read the judge's decision on Prop. 8.
From the comments I have seen, it sounds like having to deal with overcast weather is more of a problem than being harrassed for being gay in Eureka. I am not flaming or in your face. Just want to live life and not have to keep worrying about what others think.
My main question now is does the sun every really come out in Eureka? It is starting to sound like a depressing place to live if it is foggy 99% of the year. I can deal with the cold, don't care too much for extremely hot weather, but do think that sunshine goes a long way towards preventing depression. If I am reading the posts correctly, there is hardly any sunshine?
Well i don't live there but i have been there a few times in the summer on vacation, the sun was shinning and as far as Gay's go they have a big enough problems with homeless people I doubt very much they are going to be worrying about you, Sometimes a person worries what others think so much they make their own problems.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:58 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Well i don't live there but i have been there a few times in the summer on vacation, the sun was shinning and as far as Gay's go they have a big enough problems with homeless people I doubt very much they are going to be worrying about you, Sometimes a person worries what others think so much they make their own problems.
Never lived in Humboldt County but ISTM that Eureka and Humboldt in general are very rugged individualist and "live and let live". The Old West spirit definitely survives in the far north.

While you wouldn't find a massive gay scene in Eureka like in the larger CA cities you're unlikely to encounter any homophobia, there are other things that people worry about and the prevailing attitude there (from my impression) is that no one really cares about a person's sexual orientation one way or the other.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 11,685 times
Hi SDM -

I'm really glad I came across the post and had a chance to read your post and everyone else's as well. I've lived in Humboldt County for 9 years. 2 1/2 years in Eureka, 1 year in South Eureka, and 5.5 years in Arcata and I'm gay so I hope that I can provide you a perspective of what it's like.

I was living in Arcata after I attended Humboldt State and enjoyed the atmosphere of the town, but when I chose to buy a home (with my boyfriend of 4 years) we chose Eureka. I think compared to similar towns of size, remoteness and demographics across the United State that you would find Eureka to be the most gay friendly. There are at least 3 active GLBT event/civic/philinthropic organization in Eureka/Arcata/McKinleyville. ***** Humboldt, Humboldt Pride and the Eureka Chapter of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Other organizations in the community specifically engage the GLBT community including the Redwood Community Action Agency and the Humboldt Breast Health Project. Annual events in the area include ***** bingo, humboldt pride festival and the ***** film festival at HSU. A local event organizer has began monthly events in the under the event name "Where's ***** Bill." Humboldt State University has a club, resource center and a minor in ***** Studies. Gays and Lesbians also play a significant role in civic service. The City of Eureka has a lesbian on the city council and the Chief County Administrator is gay and in a relationship.

No on Prop 8 signs outweighed Yes on prop 8 signs :-).

Eureka is also particular about its neighborhoods. Some people take pride in living in an old home closer to the center of the city and typically lean a bit more liberal and accepting... the more recently developed outskirts of Eureka will probably be a bit more conservative.

I can't think of an incident in the last five years that ever made me feel unwelcomed in the city.

Regarding nightlife. This area cannot host a successful gay bar.... but there are tons of venues that are welcoming and there are gay owned, but not exclusive, establishments. There are ***** owned bars, coffee shops, bakeries, restaurants, retail shops and even an Auto Shop in Arcata!

The community knows how to throw down and have a good time and whenever an event happens its typical that gay men, lesbians, transgender, friendly straight folks and maybe some randoms who just saw that it looked like there's a party going on come out.

Plus - our victorian homes ALWAYS have the best paint jobs. I'm going to send you my e-mail in a private message. Please feel free to contact me if you have specific questions. Welcome to the Gayborhood.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 11,685 times
BTW all the ***** = the word ***** with a q

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc9 View Post
Hi SDM -

I'm really glad I came across the post and had a chance to read your post and everyone else's as well. I've lived in Humboldt County for 9 years. 2 1/2 years in Eureka, 1 year in South Eureka, and 5.5 years in Arcata and I'm gay so I hope that I can provide you a perspective of what it's like.

I was living in Arcata after I attended Humboldt State and enjoyed the atmosphere of the town, but when I chose to buy a home (with my boyfriend of 4 years) we chose Eureka. I think compared to similar towns of size, remoteness and demographics across the United State that you would find Eureka to be the most gay friendly. There are at least 3 active GLBT event/civic/philinthropic organization in Eureka/Arcata/McKinleyville. ***** Humboldt, Humboldt Pride and the Eureka Chapter of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Other organizations in the community specifically engage the GLBT community including the Redwood Community Action Agency and the Humboldt Breast Health Project. Annual events in the area include ***** bingo, humboldt pride festival and the ***** film festival at HSU. A local event organizer has began monthly events in the under the event name "Where's ***** Bill." Humboldt State University has a club, resource center and a minor in ***** Studies. Gays and Lesbians also play a significant role in civic service. The City of Eureka has a lesbian on the city council and the Chief County Administrator is gay and in a relationship.

No on Prop 8 signs outweighed Yes on prop 8 signs :-).

Eureka is also particular about its neighborhoods. Some people take pride in living in an old home closer to the center of the city and typically lean a bit more liberal and accepting... the more recently developed outskirts of Eureka will probably be a bit more conservative.

I can't think of an incident in the last five years that ever made me feel unwelcomed in the city.

Regarding nightlife. This area cannot host a successful gay bar.... but there are tons of venues that are welcoming and there are gay owned, but not exclusive, establishments. There are ***** owned bars, coffee shops, bakeries, restaurants, retail shops and even an Auto Shop in Arcata!

The community knows how to throw down and have a good time and whenever an event happens its typical that gay men, lesbians, transgender, friendly straight folks and maybe some randoms who just saw that it looked like there's a party going on come out.

Plus - our victorian homes ALWAYS have the best paint jobs. I'm going to send you my e-mail in a private message. Please feel free to contact me if you have specific questions. Welcome to the Gayborhood.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,807 times
I was born in San Francisco and lived most of my life in the Bay Area but have also spent time as a resident of Eureka. As a gay man I can say Eureka is very gay friendly. I still make trips at least once a month from San Francisco to visit friends and never get sick of the environment. The natural surroundings are amazing, clean, and very accessible.
The community has two distinct flavors of people. Eureka natives are people who have been born and raised locally and the imports are people here for college or have moved from larger urban areas. The dynamic between traditional rural living and the mosaic of ex urbanites looking for a new life creates a rich and often contradictory composite of lifestyles.
This secret Victorian city on the coast is right in the backdrop of pristine pacific seas and enormous amounts of natural diversity. If you do move here, even for a while it will leave its mark on your psyche as it is a place for reflection, relaxation, and a center to connect with yourself and the deeper sources of creativity that have inspired generations of Californians to remain absolutely committed to insanity.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Someone wanting to live in a gay-friendly area isn't necessary worried about what people think of you, per se. I'm not gay but I use gay-friendly as a measure of open-mindedness, tolerance, and progressive thinkers. I see your point that being paranoid can always draw hostility--self-fulfilling prophecy--but there's nothing wrong with wanting to live someplace with liberal leanings. After living in the bible belt for a few years, I've had it with the meanness and am looking for a more harmonious community. I'm hoping maybe the Eureka area offers hope, but after many of these postings, I'm doubtful.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm81004 View Post
I am contemplating a move from a very homophobic area in the southern Rocky Mountains and have been looking at a job in Eureka, California. Was wondering what life is like there for a gay person who is a professional and who may move with a partner? I don't want to jump right back into what I have been dealing with here and hope to find a community where one can live openly and not have to worry about extreme right wingers and prejudice. Thanks.
Most people don't like displays of affection in public in any case.

I don't think anyone gives an F about what people do in their bedroom or want to deny anyone equality at work as long as there isn't obsession regarding their sexcapades.
I wouldn't want to be hearing about the sexcapades of heterosexuals either.

California is pretty reasonable in that regard IMO.
Most people just wish everyone well. :-)

Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Oh and PS, gays are horrible in many cases themselves when they are the majority.

When my wife and baby went for a weekend to Palm Springs and ate out. All the gay couples at various places would be staring daggers at us. That suprised us. Seemed childish to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California