Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:10 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
You have to hand it to Republicans though, they are the best spin doctors in the politics! All we hear about these days is how the darn Liberals have ruined everything! They definitely know how to divert attention from their epic failures, which are too many to list.

Yup. According to the pubs, the dems are letting the deficit run away to out of sight levels. Yet, if tax increases on the rich are discussed (or the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire), those terrible dems are going to tax you into oblivion! Awwwk! The sky is falling, get your tinfoil hats ready and watch for black helicopters (oh, and gays who want to get married and woman who want control over their own bodies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 03:14 PM

212 posts, read 476,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
You have to hand it to Republicans though, they are the best spin doctors in the politics! All we hear about these days is how the darn Liberals have ruined everything! They definitely know how to divert attention from their epic failures, which are too many to list.

Umm. While I despise BOTH political parties, when was the last time Republicans ran the legislature in California?

I believe the Democrats have controlled the Assembly since 1970.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 PM

514 posts, read 686,769 times
Quote:
According to the pubs, the dems are letting the deficit run away to out of sight levels. Yet, if tax increases on the rich are discussed (or the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire), those terrible dems are going to tax you into oblivion! Awwwk! The sky is falling, get your tinfoil hats ready and watch for black helicopters (oh, and gays who want to get married and woman who want control over their own bodies)
The deficit right now is about 80% of GNP, at the end of WW2, it was 120% of GNP, and was cured in 5 or 6 years. The only instrument on the face of the planet that can recover a nation from recession is government spending.
Read David Stockman's editorial in the New York Times, he was Reagans budget director and was responsible for Reagan tripling the deficit, Heck Obama has not even doubled Bush's deficit.

The title of Stockmans essay; How the GOP destroyed the Nations Economy.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Your "Nest Egg Index" is a 2007 ranking. There is none newer - perhaps because A.G. Edwards is no longer doing it. But that index includes home ownership. I bet the rankings would be different now all over the US with significantly lower housing values. If home prices in CA are 30-40% lower today than they were in 2006 (when much of the raw data was collected for any 2007 rankings) it seems likely many CA cities on that list would drop significantly.

What would unemployment do to those rankings?
Sorry, no sad attempts to delegitimize that ranking matters because those cheap and bargain price cities have always been cheap and it seems like even though people can afford it and people who brag about their cheapness and low prices, they STILL don't seem to save money.

Houston should be number 1. I mean, its really cheap. But its nowhere to be found.

I think it has to do with priorities.

Heck, even when we look at bank deposits by Metro Areas, cheap areas do quite dismally.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Republicans always want to make California into another Texas where big corporations rape the environment and little if any safeguards are provided to the average person. One huge reason that California is more expensive is that it is a "jewel" that can not be polluted into an ugly Texas. Smog is a major concern in California and it doesn't matter how much we need jobs if they are in industries that pollute the air and water. Uncontrolled population growth is discouraged as much as possible and in many counties there are strict regulations on new development for the very reason that there is not enough water. Now Texas power companies are spending big $ on Proposition 23 that would stop or slow down signed legislative law setting higher standards on clean energy.

California is not Texas and thank God, never will be!

STOP the Texas Oil Companies' Dirty Energy Proposition
Texas is fairing far better than this sorry ass state. It's apparent to me from your post that you are probably still in school as you have no idea what you're talking about.

This California "jewel" has a junk credit rating, roads falling into serious disrepair all over the place, a maxed out power grid, national parks being closed, gridlocked legislature with absolutely no common sense whatsoever, the highest population of illegal immigrants of any state, and one of the lousiest business environments in the country.

Yeah, what a well run state

Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Texas is fairing far better than this sorry ass state. It's apparent to me from your post that you are probably still in school as you have no idea what you're talking about.

This California "jewel" has a junk credit rating, roads falling into serious disrepair all over the place, a maxed out power grid, national parks being closed, gridlocked legislature with absolutely no common sense whatsoever, the highest population of illegal immigrants of any state, and one of the lousiest business environments in the country.

Yeah, what a well run state
Be our guest and move to Texas or better yet Mississippi [I think that would be a better fit].

Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM

291 posts, read 752,381 times
Yeah hightail your rear end with the rest of the conservatives in tow. Your types a a rapidly shrinking minority here.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
[quote=AwayAndBackToSac;15401856]Umm. While I despise BOTH political parties, when was the last time Republicans ran the legislature in California?

1995 and 1996.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
[quote=majoun;15406160]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Umm. While I despise BOTH political parties, when was the last time Republicans ran the legislature in California?

1995 and 1996.
Wow, I would have never guessed that Republicans were the majority anytime in the last 20 years. What were the circumstances?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM

212 posts, read 476,031 times
[quote=majoun;15406160]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post

1995 and 1996.

It's weird as heck... I can't find a record of majority parties in the California Legislature (Senate and Assembly) over the years. Where did you find this, and which body was controlled by Republicans? I'm actually interested in further back though, from what I have read 95'-96' was an anomaly.

Last edited by AwayAndBackToSac; 08-09-2010 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California