U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:40 PM

15 posts, read 78,305 times

Advertisements

What is it that you like/love about California?
I have seen a lot of posts from ANTI-Cali's and I would like to hear something positive.

Please tell what reasons you would give to someone wanting to move here.

Also include what areas you would suggest for them to move to and why you would recommend that area...

If they are Strong Faith Based Christians what area of California would you suggest them to live in to be away from the "Classic Girl Scene"?

If they arent concerned about the California way... (refer to above) then where and why would you recommend as a location?

If they are looking for more of a fall in the seasonal time... what part of California would they want to live in and why?

If they are looking for more of a winter then where in California?

I am assuming we all know for more of a Summer it would be the Southern part of California...

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading all of the responses to this post...
Have fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,396,625 times
SOuthern and Northern Calif are two utterly different places

If you want more winter go to Tahoe

Fall is a bit harder - are you talking like the leaves of New England? That might be hard to find

And our summers are all over the place - the cool and sunny summer in San Diego are totally different then the scroching dry hot summers in Sacramento, and differnt then the cool summers in Medicino or Tahoe or Yosemite

Old 06-25-2007, 06:19 PM

136 posts, read 681,089 times
I love California! The weather, scenery, job opportunities, food, culture, people, .... But to encourage my friends to relocate to CA, especially to the Bay Area where I live, from other states, oh, that is hard.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,272,423 times
I've been primarily down on Cali but I realize there are positives, and you're looking for positives, so here are mine.

I live in SoCal, about, I don't know, 40-ish miles inland from LA, I think. Nice things are that in many of the suburbs, at least in my area, people keep their lawns very very nice and very green. There is a huge variety of tree and plant life in people's yards, more so than I had initially expected moving out here. I had expected all palm trees, or else semi-desert (the way I see desert as being, anyway), or beaches. But there are some pretty plants here and some trees besides evergreens that stay green all winter.

The late fall through mid to late spring is pretty much what anyone would think of as the perfect weather, usually in the 70s.

Leaves do change color, no, not like New England, but there are deciduous trees.

It's also very breezy.

For snow, we have Big Bear about 2.5 hours away. It definitely snows there; it gets very crisp and cold, which is refreshing and awesome.

I don't know about the Christian stuff you were referencing.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM

25,665 posts, read 24,259,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
I love California! The weather, scenery, job opportunities, food, culture, people, .... But to encourage my friends to relocate to CA, especially to the Bay Area where I live, from other states, oh, that is hard.

I agree with you there, Im actually a Calif native but moved to Az for family reasons almost 12 years ago. Loved it there, miss it.
But Ive heard it said many times, that Calif is one of the states that once you leave, its for good. Not because people dont want to come back, because there are many that do. And there are those that dont. But point being is that moving back to Calif from a 'poorer' state is a little bit of a challenge because of the cost of living, trying to find a place, there may be some who arent ready to fork out 1,200 month for an apt when theyve been paying 600 all this time elsewhere for the same size apt in the 'average income' neighbourhood, and are shocked when they see how high everything is. It would probably require a huge savings. But again, there are those who do want to go out there. Keep in mind too, that its always a good idea to check out the area you want to live in before doing so.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:11 PM

652 posts, read 2,055,956 times
Well, I probably can't help you being I'm from NY my whole life.
I am however seriously considering moving to Carmel Valley in "Monterey".
I hear that there is a kind of fall there. that the leaves change color there. Course I was told that...I've never been there.

My guess is that near any ocean you'll be paying the big bucks no matter it be here on the right coast or by you guys on the left coast. Probably the same difference.
It all depends what you do for living and what your standard of living is.
N.Carolina is beautiful and homes are incredibly inexpensive for nice ones to boot. I could never earn a living doing what I do there..there's not enough people paying the bucks to buy renovated homes like I do. Homes are just too inexpensive. You get a lot for your money there.
Wouldn't work for me unfortunately.
I looked to move to Sebastopol Cal up north five years ago-ish but seems no one cares all that much about home renovations or restorations for the most part. Most everything seemed so dated to me. The homes are really expensive and look like crap IMO. I think people are more into the out doors than their "homes". No offense intended.
What I've seen in CV, in Monterey...the homes are gorgeous!! Well crafted and well thought out but the prices reflect it.
It all depends on your mindset. People will take what works for them so to me just be honest in your thoughts and don't make something what its not...don't make it something you "want it to be" cuz it is what it is so keep it real.
Namaste
andy

Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 PM

13,781 posts, read 23,758,379 times
Reasons to move here are purely what one desires, if family are elsewhere and that is a priority then nothing will change that.

Ignoring that issue, the scenery, activities, weather and food is incredible. The scenery is remarkable, and the weather can vary enormously if you are willing to drive a little. You have to be either comparatively well off or not financially intimidated to be comfortable here, but many don't find this issue that daunting. Apartments can be had for reasonable rents in much of California, and the jobs generally pay enough to make up the marginal rental differences with other parts of the country (in my experiences).

If you want to see fall, Sacramento has a significant fall season somewhat later than most may be used too, peak color period is in the early November timeframe. Many trees stay green, so you get a bit of an odd mix here, trees changing color and losing their leaves, trees which stay green all year long, and palm trees!

Winter in Lake Tahoe area is severe, folks need tire chains by law for much of the winter season driving.

Christians would probably feel more at home in the Central Valley than the coastal areas, though some coastal towns, especially in the San Diego and Orange County areas, may be a pretty comfortable fit. A key I have found is that folks tend to not mind each others business about faith and religion, to each his own here. In the midwest and south, I noticed more of a tendency to discuss it between folks, whereas here you just go and do your thing, and leave others alone.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:29 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,776,372 times
"What is it that you like/love about California?"

The scenery and variety. From Yosemite to Carmel to Santa Barbara to San Francisco to Lake Tahoe, etc. California has the most variety and the largest number of pretty places in the country. But it is a HUGE state and is really more akin to several states when you compare it to the East Coast. I love the big city feel of San Francisco, the Beach lifestyle of San Diego, the weather of Orange County...too much to list.

"Please tell what reasons you would give to someone wanting to move here."

Where? The reasons would depend upon the location. SoCal- great beaches, great weather, lots to do. NoCal- good weather, mild seasons, lots to do, San Francisco is a world class city. I wouldn't recommend the central valley.

"Also include what areas you would suggest for them to move to and why you would recommend that area..."

Depends a lot on you, what you do for a living, what your budget is, etc.

"If they are Strong Faith Based Christians what area of California would you suggest them to live in to be away from the "Classic Girl Scene"?"

Well, although Bakersfield is probably the most religious area, I would never recommend it. Orange County and San Diego have a lot of religious people- but, as mentioned, it is more of live and let live state. You can have any personal view you like, just don't shove it down others' throats or expect everyone to agree with you.

"If they arent concerned about the California way... (refer to above) then where and why would you recommend as a location?"

The California way? Most people are just like people anywhere else honestly. I guess West LA is the most hedonistic. SF is the most liberal. I'm not sure what you mean- look at my comment on live and let live. California is about individuality.

"If they are looking for more of a fall in the seasonal time... what part of California would they want to live in and why?"

I think the East Bay region of the SF Bay area has a mild fall type feel. Forget about Southern California- it is basically summer 85% of the year with a mild spring the other 15%.

"If they are looking for more of a winter then where in California?"

Tahoe, Shasta, summer in San Francisco (seriously)

Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,444,561 times
Many who, like myself, have lived in CA for their entire lives are comparing CA to what it use to be.....and that's why many of us natives are so negetive. But for someone coming here for the first time it is still amazing. The climates, the beaches, the mountains all within easy driving distance. The activities are everywhere. There is much to be said about CA. A very deverse state indeed!! And the roses I could grow there..oh I do miss those!! But the CA natives are remembering what CA use to be like and it isn't anything like that anymore. That's probably true with most places....it's just that CA has had some major problems!! But for the new person, with nothing to compare it to it would probably be exciting and wonderful..if, as many have said, you could afford to live there.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 06-26-2007 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-26-2007, 09:26 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,189,113 times
I love California and everything it has to offer. I want to move back and hopefully one day I will be able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or