Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You complain about the state of the state.
and you are right of center politically. 33 56.90%
and you are left of center politically 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:47 PM

514 posts, read 686,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sorry Bub. No need to run from an opinion 'cause it's just that and nothing more, just as yours are. If you think otherwise then you're delusional!

Here's another one. Your poll is slanted since it's an eithor-or.
Pretty funny there, still no defense of your statement.

Maybe we need an "elitist" check list. First we will start with Curmudgeon's apparent requirements;

Enjoying life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I rarely, if ever, complain about California. My reason is because I took it for granted and left and spent a 9-month stint in Hell. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to come back home to CA, thus, I thank God every single day I am here, and I never take it for granted. Sure, CA has its problems, but so does everywhere else.

I can't participate in the poll because not only do I not complain about the state, I am neither an extreme leftist, nor on the extreme right.
California is fine, if you can afford it without working your fingers to the bone.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
California is fine, if you can afford it without working your fingers to the bone.
I have trouble with these statements. The cost of living in CA is no more than in other desirable places.

Housing is higher than Iowa and Missouri and Kansas and other places, but who wants to live there.

A bunch of Californians, "tired of the cost of living" moved to Nevada, now housing in Reno, Carson and Las Vegas is comparable to most of CA.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
I have trouble with these statements. The cost of living in CA is no more than in other desirable places.

Housing is higher than Iowa and Missouri and Kansas and other places, but who wants to live there.

A bunch of Californians, "tired of the cost of living" moved to Nevada, now housing in Reno, Carson and Las Vegas is comparable to most of CA.
I'm thinking of moving to Iowa actually, East Iowa more specifically. I'm an old man, figuratively speaking. And don't get me wrong, I like everything else about California and I will surely miss it if the move ever happens.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Your poll doesn't work for me-a Moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post

CA expensive? As they say, you get what you pay for!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Glad they ain't hankerin' ta come here. We'uns'd hafta declare open season ta maintain purity!
good one, Mudggie, born and raised and lived all your life in California, you move to some other state and you want to be thought of as one of them.. complete with phoney redneck expressions.

You are not thought of as one of them, by them, to them, you are just another Damned Californian, you probably wear lycra when you exercise.

Quote:
But of course, you must be superior to all of them. Oops, that loops back to being elitest. Comprendez vous?
You like jumping to conclusions doncha. You assume, that because I think the land of California has much more to offer than any other state, that makes me "superior". Baloney.

The land of California is superior, that is why so many people came here, whether to farm, or to live, or to log, or to ranch, the land here offers much more than any other state.

You should know that, But let me be clear, it is the land that is superior, not me. But I think that may be tough to digest for those whose beliefs outweigh facts.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
You remind me of a former poster who, amazingly enough, disappeared at right about the time you appeared and who was also the beneficiary of long-held family property and farms as opposed to having to really start from scratch. I think I liked you better as Clarks!.

As for the rest, born and partially raised in CA. The rest of my raising was in mainland China, Japan, AL, NCx2, VA, and MN.

Lived my adult life partially in CA. Lived the rest in TXx2, GA, Korea, Vietnam, KY and VA again.

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

No argument here about CA's superior and varied topography.

And now I'm done with you! Of course, I was also done with people like you when I moved and for the record, the people here have been most kind, helpful and welcoming.

You are now free to wander the cabin and return to you delusions!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-11-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 02:37 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Your poll doesn't work for me-a Moderate

CA expensive? As they say, you get what you pay for!
But that's the problem. California was a much better value for the dollar (in terms of what you got for your tax dollars, housing costs, etc)a generation ago than it is now.

And I'm not the only one saying it. I lean right, especially on economic issues, but some folks who I suspect are left of center, are saying similar things:

The Golden State isn't worth it - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-11-2010, 02:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Most people I know in CA are moderate. We like what the State offers us naturally (location, weather) and are concerned about what the State wants to offer financially (too much spending, etc.). A happy medium is always best but the loud a vocal people are usually far to one side or the other. It blows, but what can you do? Personally, I try to avoid them.

If I was starting from scratch in CA I'd start somewhere with a lower COL than the popular areas, or accept a lesser style of living than I was used to. That's only because I have friends and family here, I'd probably not try to live here otherwise unless I had some $$.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:42 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Much of the complaining by some seems to fall along party lines. Republicans are eternally unhappy with California and that may very well be a reflection of their political orientation. Democrats, on the other hand, seem mostly content living in California and it is not surprising that the state is heavily Democratic [or at least votes Democratic most of the time]. For me to live in Texas, for example, I would be very unhappy with that state's Republican mindset and government and would probably voice my discontent regularly like some Texans do on other forums.

But as others have pointed out, the "grass ain't much greener" on the other side of the hill\ Sierras with many states experiencing serious fiscal problems. If Nevada and Arizona are examples, than California is actually doing better.

I used the word "jewel" in another thread to describe California and a Texan took offense that I called his state "ugly." But we all know what the huge difference there is in the magnificent beauty and wonder of California compared to every other state. We live in a "jewel" that is worth every cent or lack of compared to the nation, as a whole. I don't complain about California ever and consider myself extremely fortunate to have been born here and live here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California