Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You complain about the state of the state.
and you are right of center politically. 33 56.90%
and you are left of center politically 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,349,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
ok and I have trouble with your statement " Housing is higher than Iowa and Missouri and Kansas and other places, but who wants to live there."

ummmm, lots of people want to live there. have you been to the ozarks? it's gorgeous...in fact when we moved there, our first home away from ca, when i went to register my vehicle, the lady said that they have had SO MANY transplants from ca, more than any other state....so yeah, lots of people want to live in these places...ca isn't all that anymore...
Well, Breeze, the good news for the poster is that while stupid may be forever, ignorance can be fixed so there is hope for him.

Seems to me that many have migrated to the Ozarks regions of MO, AR and eastern OK. I think part of the reason is the sheer beauty of the area and it's geological uniqueness. Rather than being actual mountains, the Ozarks are deep valleys carved out by glaciers that give the illusion of being in the mountains, although they do join the Ouachita Mountains (real ones) to the west. There is also the very special culture of the Ozarks bred from many generations of isolation due to the ruggedness of the area. And lets not forget the fact that its a hunting and fishing paradise complete with many lakes, rivers and streams. The Missouri and Mississippi rivers are especially noteworthy due to their sizes and historical importance to civilization for transporting goods and people. Finally, we enjoy four distinct seasons, usually none of them particularly harsh.

Another major consideration is the affordability. By way of example, were we to buy our present home almost anywhere in California situated, as it is, on the shore of a large and beautiful lake, it would easily cost five to six times what we paid for it here. Remember, in real estate it's all about location, location, location.

Now granted, the lake is man made and kept full by the White River but it also has over 800 miles of shoreline and depths of up to 900+ feet. It's a boating and fishing (primarily bass) paradise and a popular site for vacationers. The proximity of Branson also draws many visitors and, fortunately, is about 25 miles from where we live so our area is not impacted too much. We're quite rural and have to drive almost 20 miles to shop anywhere but a convenience store, and the closest one of those is seven miles from us.

Finally, we have found the costs of goods and services to be about a third less than they were in CA and taxes are much lower. Unlike the old days, the grocery stores now meet just about anyone's needs and ethnic tastes, the people are welcoming, it's uncrowded, calm and peaceful and if you want laid-back and stress-free, this is it.

Having said all that, it isn't for everyone and, yes, it does lack the topographical/geological diversity and vibrancy of California. But what other place doesn't? Most of all, it suits us and that's what counts more than anything else. We spent several years researching various retirement possibilities and where we are came out on top in almost every category we used to measure.

Sure, there are things we miss about California but more and more, not so much!

By the way, it looks like your housing market is beginning to rebound. That's wonderful. Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,142,095 times
every thread on this board is so depressing. People just love to complain

Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
every thread on this board is so depressing. People just love to complain
Yeah, kinda like you just did here and on another CA thread.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM

514 posts, read 683,281 times
Quote:
Well, Breeze, the good news for the poster is that while stupid may be forever, ignorance can be fixed so there is hope for him.
Mudge can't stop the personal attacks, he needs a heart to heart with Jesus.

The Ozarks were the epicenter of the hippie back to the land movement of the late 60's early 70's and now it is getting swamped with Californians, poor ole place, can't get a break.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 AM

16,573 posts, read 27,285,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah, kinda like you just did here and on another CA thread.
and the Seattle forum then deletes the posts

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Mudge can't stop the personal attacks, he needs a heart to heart with Jesus.

The Ozarks were the epicenter of the hippie back to the land movement of the late 60's early 70's and now it is getting swamped with Californians, poor ole place, can't get a break.
Yup! That's when my wife lived in NW Arkansas for seven years ('72-"79). Congratulations on knowing something concrete. But we're not even close to being swamped and even if we were, what would that say about CA?

Cause and effect!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Congratulations on knowing something concrete
Gee, another personal attack.

Quote:
But we're not even close to being swamped and even if we were, what would that say about CA?
Lots of okies and arkies returning to their roots.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Lots of okies and arkies returning to their roots.
Actually returning to their roots is likely only part of it, considering that most of the migration from the midwest to CA took place during the "Dirty 30s" -- the Dust Bowl -- that began in 1930 and afflicted some areas until 1940. Today's "okies and arkies" in CA are four or five generations removed from their family's initial entry to CA. I do have to admit, however, you wouldn't necessarily know that in some parts of Bakersfield; especially in the SE area locally known as "The Oakie!"

I think many move because of some elements of California they don't care for, or think they don't, or can no longer afford. Then there's the reality that many of them move back in a few years, or less, because they really miss what they left behind which, for many, is quite understandable.

The U.S has always had a very mobile population and that's particularly evident in CA since it encompasses over a 10th of it. In many ways it's quite fascinating. I just phrased it badly. Sorry!

By the way, my congratulations were not mean to be prejorative and were quite sincere. I used the term "concrete" because that an historical fact that most, outside of this area, aren't aware of.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
By the way, my congratulations were not mean to be prejorative and were quite sincere.
Looked like thinly veiled sarcasm to me.

Don't worry about history and me. I have been a professional historian for many decades now.

I used to specialize in the history of European Colonialism, but now, retired, I tend to the West, and particularly California.

My wife is a Bakersfield Okie, on both sides.

I have often wondered about this woman, http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/lange/t-dor001.jpg (broken link) As the photo was taken in one of the valleys my grandfather farmed at that time. Did she pick for him?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,336,726 times
Figures that this discussion has deteriorated into an argument between Californians and people living in Missouri, Arkansas and Texas [trying to convince us how horrible California is and how great the South is]. Right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California