U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2007, 02:14 PM
 
21 posts, read 189,331 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

I may have the opportunity to move to either Los Angeles or San Diego in the next few months. Does anyone have a preference over the other? Please tell me what you like / dislike about each place and where you think the better place to live is. I have heard San Diego, but it is just hear-say. I have been to Los Angeles / Orange County a few times but never to San Diego. Any input would be helpful! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2007, 02:49 PM
 
8,264 posts, read 26,283,196 times
Reputation: 4390
I live in San Diego but love LA (OC not as much). It really depends on what you are looking for. Career opps and pay are better in LA, but SD is a much more livable city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
 
1,965 posts, read 5,779,265 times
Reputation: 1273
LA is flashy, big city, BIG money, bad smog. San Diego is much more laid back and has better air quality. It really depends on you. If you like high powered cities and wearing fancy suits, LA is your place. If you prefer flip flops and fish tacos, San Diego is the place. I love San Diego and hate LA, but to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
 
21 posts, read 189,331 times
Reputation: 28
Default Schooling in San Diego

Are there any good schools (universities) in San Diego? Or is LA better for schools. I am looking at getting a master's in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 PM
 
840 posts, read 6,046,757 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
LA is flashy, big city, BIG money, bad smog. San Diego is much more laid back and has better air quality. It really depends on you. If you like high powered cities and wearing fancy suits, LA is your place. If you prefer flip flops and fish tacos, San Diego is the place. I love San Diego and hate LA, but to each his own.

Growing up in San Diego, I had never even touched a fish taco much less eat one.

L.A. and San Diego have some similarities but have a different vibe. L.A. is more overcrowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 AM
 
1,965 posts, read 5,779,265 times
Reputation: 1273
"Growing up in San Diego, I had never even touched a fish taco much less eat one."

That is your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
 
812 posts, read 3,579,074 times
Reputation: 370
San Diego is much smaller obviously, and tries to maintain a "it's your hometown" vibe (straight from the San Diego County Credit Union commercials haha) where LA is big city town. Being born in San Francisco, I never quite understood LA. It's got so much sprawl... I much prefer a city with a hugely dense "core" that slowly fans out to suburbs (I know, it's changing for LA, but drive into SF from the suburbs versus to LA from the suburbs and you'll know what I mean.)

I also think SD is on the whole prettier, tree lined medians and the whole bit. The older neighborhoods seem better kept, where LA's got a lot of decay in a lot of the cities in the basin... of course if you're looking to move to the hills in LA, you can throw everything I just said into the trash. SD's a very middle class town by contrast.

Then again, ask someone born and raised in LA, and many see SD as boring and unimaginative. Southern California is one of a kind, both good and bad, so they both see some of the same fake attitudes/problems/benefits, but I'd say San Diego can get around the problems a little more since it's a smaller place.

Being a part time resident of San Diego, and since it's currently fashionable to factor political views into everything, it's also worth mentioning that San Diego leans much more to the right compared to LA, and the military has a big presence in SD. You'll find every ideology in either town though, so if you're liberal, conservative, an anarchist, whatever, it's not like either town will run you out.

Also, this maybe won't apply to you since it seems that jobs are already lined up, but SD sees a "sunshine tax and discount"... pay is less since it's not as important of a city as LA, but houses are still thru the roof (probably still cheaper than LA on average, though.) LA can weather certain economic hardships that San Diego tends to feel since LA is just such an imprtant city, where, and i'm not saying everyone.... but there are many people that live in SD not because they have to, but because they love it, compared to LA, where many people live there because they have a really great job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 02:17 PM
 
21 posts, read 189,331 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Also, this maybe won't apply to you since it seems that jobs are already lined up, but SD sees a "sunshine tax and discount"... pay is less since it's not as important of a city as LA, but houses are still thru the roof (probably still cheaper than LA on average, though.) LA can weather certain economic hardships that San Diego tends to feel since LA is just such an imprtant city.
I have heard this about San Diego. People want to move there but the pay is not as good as in LA. Both are very expensive compared to the national average and I know LA is generally more expensive. I am also looking at getting my master's in a year or two. Which city has better school (university) offerings (prestige, competitiveness, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM
 
21 posts, read 189,331 times
Reputation: 28
I am originally from Houston (the 4th largest city in America). Traffic sucks, pollution is bad, but it's not a terrible place. Some of these things I hear about LA (traffic, smog, everyone thinks they are a movie star, etc.) Is anyone living in LA who has lived in Houston or vice versa who can give me the similarities / differences between the two? At least this will give me some idea. I have been to LA / Orange County twice so I'm not totally naive to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 02:48 PM
 
840 posts, read 6,046,757 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
"Growing up in San Diego, I had never even touched a fish taco much less eat one."

That is your loss.
Maybe, but I'm not a big fan of fish to begin with. I do love the Mexican restaurants that offer Carne Asadas and rolled tacos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd8200
I have heard this about San Diego. People want to move there but the pay is not as good as in LA. Both are very expensive compared to the national average and I know LA is generally more expensive. I am also looking at getting my master's in a year or two. Which city has better school (university) offerings (prestige, competitiveness, etc.)?
L.A. would have better universities.

Quote:
I am originally from Houston (the 4th largest city in America). Traffic sucks, pollution is bad, but it's not a terrible place. Some of these things I hear about LA (traffic, smog, everyone thinks they are a movie star, etc.) Is anyone living in LA who has lived in Houston or vice versa who can give me the similarities / differences between the two? At least this will give me some idea. I have been to LA / Orange County twice so I'm not totally naive to the area.
In L.A. traffic does suck but you'll survive... so long as the freeway shootings have declined.

Not everyone thinks they're a movie star. That's a stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top