Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times

Advertisements

The hold is only a few days, gay marriages will be legal again on the 18th of August.

But the anti-gay side can ask for another hold and might get it before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky;
It was Franklin, and this is how he put it:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

How does this pertain to safety?
if ur correction is right, then thanks. I'm usingan iPhone at the airport...lol

anyway I think that this is no different from voters approving medicinal marijuana, doctor assisted suicides, etc.

When a single voice gets to be louder and carry more weight than the
voices of 7 million, then our govt no longer represents but lords over us.

I would be just as vehement about weed and suicides, even tho Ive never used the former and have no plans to do the latter.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,016 times
This will go all the way to the Supreme Court where they will rule 5-4 against Gay Marriage and they will have no other recourse.

The real fight should have been to remove marriage from the purview of the government period. Force all people in a relationship to obtain a "domestic partnership" license, with which the couple could go to their respective religious/spiritual organization to be MARRIED.

This entire episode is a microchasm of government mucking things up so terribly that it becomes a political hotbutton issue. I do not support gay marriage. I support religious freedom. Which means, until the state removes marriage from the language of fee-based licensing, there will never be equality. For gays, nor for religious types.

Common sense is dead in America. It's all about forcing the other side to accept your beliefs. California is likely the worst place where this occurs. Racism, hate, vitirol...California, a utopia.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
It's the system working as the founders designed it to work, so don't fret too much about that multiple voices stuff.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,702,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Anyone else disturbed by how much power this one judge has over an
issue that affects millions of lives? To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson,anyone who surrenders freedom for safety deserves
neither.....except now we're handing over our sovereignty to a single man's whims.
What is disturbing, is the idea that people believe they have the right to vote on the rights of a significant minority of people in this country. It's no different than having a law restricting the rights of people with red hair for example, because you don't like them.

Prop 8 was promoted by perpetuating lies and other missinformation based on the hatred of gays primarily from two groups: the Mormon church, and the Catholic church. There is suppose to be a separation of church and state, and in order for churches to maintain there tax free platform they are suppose to be prohibited from lobbying. Of course, the people involved in promoting Prop 8 really only use a religous platform to legitimize, and justify such actions. These people lie, cheat and steal, commit adultry, and fornicate all they want, and more or less, thinks thats OK. If the church is so concerned about marriage, then why not lobby for a law illegalizing divorce, similar to Ireland? Why not lobby to end gambling, and stop the use of contraception?

If one actually takes the time to listen to the judge articulate why the law was unjust, it becomes crystal clear the supporters of prop 8 have no rational basis prohibiting same sex marriage. It's simply a stupid law, derived from hate. Regardless of how one feels, it is only a matter of time before same sex marriage will become the law of the land. The younger generation simply to do not have the same degree of homophobia as the older generations do.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's the system working as the founders designed it to work, so don't fret too much about that multiple voices stuff.
Yep, all the way to the Supreme Court. Careful what you wish for...

If people(especially the Gay lobby) would have just used common sense...there was an easier and more permanent way to succeed in bringing about Gay Marriage.

Foolish and short-sighted this was for the gay community.

All that needed to be done was to change the LANGUAGE in the California Code to make "Marriage" licenses into "Domestic Partnership" licenses, thereby removing the issue of marriage. You just go to your church to get married...and many churches support Gay Unions. Wal-la.

Apparently, this kind of common sense thinking is hard to come by these days. Not that I care anymore...I stopped being a Californian over a year ago. heh

Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
What is disturbing, is the idea that people believe they have the right to vote on the rights of a significant minority of people in this country. It's no different than having a law restricting the rights of people with red hair for example, because you don't like them.

Prop 8 was promoted by perpetuating lies and other missinformation based on the hatred of gays primarily from two groups: the Mormon church, and the Catholic church. There is suppose to be a separation of church and state, and in order for churches to maintain there tax free platform they are suppose to be prohibited from lobbying. Of course, the people involved in promoting Prop 8 really only use a religous platform to legitimize, and justify such actions. These people lie, cheat and steal, commit adultry, and fornicate all they want, and more or less, thinks thats OK. If the church is so concerned about marriage, then why not lobby for a law illegalizing divorce, similar to Ireland? Why not lobby to end gambling, and stop the use of contraception?

If one actually takes the time to listen to the judge articulate why the law was unjust, it becomes crystal clear the supporters of prop 8 have no rational basis prohibiting same sex marriage. It's simply a stupid law, derived from hate. Regardless of how one feels, it is only a matter of time before same sex marriage will become the law of the land. The younger generation simply to do not have the same degree of homophobia as the older generations do.
Yeah, kinda like removing the 2/3rds vote for our state budget, eh? In the end, the Supreme Court will uphold the ban on gay marriage and everyone loses. Yes, everyone...including the religious faction.

If you don't understand why, you never will.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
This will go all the way to the Supreme Court where they will rule 5-4 against Gay Marriage and they will have no other recourse.

The real fight should have been to remove marriage from the purview of the government period. Force all people in a relationship to obtain a "domestic partnership" license, with which the couple could go to their respective religious/spiritual organization to be MARRIED.

This entire episode is a microchasm of government mucking things up so terribly that it becomes a political hotbutton issue. I do not support gay marriage. I support religious freedom. Which means, until the state removes marriage from the language of fee-based licensing, there will never be equality. For gays, nor for religious types.

Common sense is dead in America. It's all about forcing the other side to accept your beliefs. California is likely the worst place where this occurs. Racism, hate, vitirol...California, a utopia.
finally someone suggests the exact same solution as me!

+1

the faster we can separate church and state, the better.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
finally someone suggests the exact same solution as me!

+1

the faster we can separate church and state, the better.
I suggested the same thing during the run up to the Prop 8 vote...boy was I attacked then. Nazi, bigot, etc etc...

It's hard to promote common sense when emotions are so heavily attached to something. On this issue, the emotions are high on both sides...

Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 PM

332 posts, read 772,433 times
Quote:
When a single voice gets to be louder and carry more weight than the
voices of 7 million, then our govt no longer represents but lords over us.
The Constitution was purposely designed this way to counteract the tyranny of the majority. I sure wouldn't want my rights to speak freely, to bear arms, etc., to be governed by "majority rules."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California