Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:33 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,745,637 times

Advertisements

We are planning a trip to CA to visit family. The trip will start in San Francisco for 1.5 days, then we wanted to go see some nature, maybe Yosemite? From there head down to LA where family lives, do a few touristy things like Melrose, Venice Bch and I want to visit The Gentle Barn. After that head down to San Diego, neither of us have ever been there.

My questions is; from San Fran. to LA what else is worth stopping for? We don't have a lot of time but I want to make the most of it. We have never been to Yosemite Nat. Park so I think that's a good stop even though it's three hours out of the way, do you agree?

We also need suggestions on what not to miss from LA to San Diego or what to see once we get to San Diego. Again, we are trying to do a lot in a short amount of time so would like to do a couple things each day if possible.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 03:00 PM

43,364 posts, read 44,076,810 times
Between San Francisco & L.A. I suggest you stop at the Hearst Castle (Hearst Castle Tours). Also Carmel is worth visiting for its beautiful white beach shoreline and also I recommend the Monterey Bay Aquarium (Monterey Bay Aquarium, California) in Monterey.
Between LA & San Diego, you have just south of L.A. Disneyland. Also I suggest visiting Dana Point with its beautiful harbor (City of Dana Point : Dana Point Harbor).
In San Diego there is Seaworld (San Diego Park Home) and San Diego's world famous zoo (Welcome to the San Diego Zoo).

Old 08-14-2010, 03:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,142,678 times
Great website of things to do all over San Diego.

San Diego Vacation, Travel, Tourism

Here's videos showing what you can do. I reccomend you give them a look.

YouTube - San Diego Travel Video

YouTube - San Diego

Old 08-14-2010, 03:44 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,684,112 times
Drive Hwy 1 between San Francisco and Los Angeles and see Big Sur (this is sort out of the way from Yosemite) Big Sur Pictures - California stock photos, fine art prints by QTL

How much time do you plan to spend in California? A week is not enough!

Old 08-14-2010, 04:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,551,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
We are planning a trip to CA to visit family. The trip will start in San Francisco for 1.5 days, then we wanted to go see some nature, maybe Yosemite? From there head down to LA where family lives, do a few touristy things like Melrose, Venice Bch and I want to visit The Gentle Barn. After that head down to San Diego, neither of us have ever been there.

My questions is; from San Fran. to LA what else is worth stopping for? We don't have a lot of time but I want to make the most of it. We have never been to Yosemite Nat. Park so I think that's a good stop even though it's three hours out of the way, do you agree?

We also need suggestions on what not to miss from LA to San Diego or what to see once we get to San Diego. Again, we are trying to do a lot in a short amount of time so would like to do a couple things each day if possible.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

If you don't have a lot of time skip Yosemite. Come back when you can enjoy it for at least two days including travel time. Head straight to the south land and enjoy yourself. Yosemite sounds like a big detour in your plans. The Drive down the coast while absolutely breath taking is very long up to 9 hours with some traffic. Ask your self this. How much precious vacation time do you want to spend in the car. Trust me California can suck a lot of time from your vacation driving just to see the sights. San Francisco to Central LA is almost seven hours at 70 mi an hour of 1-5 most people do 80-90 on the long stretches between Westly and Bakersfield. Watch out for CHP! Just my thoughts a native Californio

Old 08-14-2010, 04:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,063,100 times
I agree with the others. Yosemity is to far out of the way. If you fly in to SF, stay on the coast. Stop in Monterey, see the sites on the peninsula including Carmel. Then head south on highway 1 through Big Sur, you'll get plenty of nature. Dont worry about making time, this is one of the great drives in the U.S. Stop at the sites and look outs along the way it will be a trip you never forget.
You can hit Hearst Castle in San Simeon if you have time, or stop in Morro Bay for fish n chips on the bay. San Luis Obispo has a wonderful downtown if you want to see a great small town. Keep south from there to Santa Barbara. I would definitely stop there and walk State Street (downtown). It is what people think California is, its visually stunning, spanish revival architecture, great hang out.
A few other SoCal options (to many to list):
Santa Monica Promenade
South Bay; Manhattan Beach to Redondo Beach
Getty Center in LA
The Huntington in Pasadena
LA to San Diego - Laguna Beach and many of the small beach towns are great just stay by the coast
La Jolla in SD then down to Pacific Beach (more eclectic)
Downtown San Diego is great

Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks, I'll research all suggested. We are only planning on being there a week or maybe a little longer. We both have been to CA many times, just haven't done a road trip as described and never been to San Diego. No interest in Zoos, Disney or Aquarium...going to The Gentle Barn where they have rescue animals. I know Yosemite is out of the way but honestly not sure the next time I'll be up that way so I thought we should take advantage of being somewhat close to it. A friend that lived in San Jose for a bit also suggested Big Sur so if I had to choose between Yosemite or Big Sur, which one should I do?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I agree with the others. Yosemity is to far out of the way. If you fly in to SF, stay on the coast. Stop in Monterey, see the sites on the peninsula including Carmel. Then head south on highway 1 through Big Sur, you'll get plenty of nature. Dont worry about making time, this is one of the great drives in the U.S. Stop at the sites and look outs along the way it will be a trip you never forget.
You can hit Hearst Castle in San Simeon if you have time, or stop in Morro Bay for fish n chips on the bay. San Luis Obispo has a wonderful downtown if you want to see a great small town. Keep south from there to Santa Barbara. I would definitely stop there and walk State Street (downtown). It is what people think California is, its visually stunning, spanish revival architecture, great hang out.
A few other SoCal options (to many to list):
Santa Monica Promenade
South Bay; Manhattan Beach to Redondo Beach
Getty Center in LA
The Huntington in Pasadena
LA to San Diego - Laguna Beach and many of the small beach towns are great just stay by the coast
La Jolla in SD then down to Pacific Beach (more eclectic)
Downtown San Diego is great
I like this list, thanks.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,063,100 times
No problem, I would do the highway 1 Big Sur experience, for two reasons.
1 Yosemite is out of the way and requires more time.
2 Highway 1/Big Sur is on your way and truly is greatness

Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,551,530 times
Take the ride down the coast to Big Sur. Enjoy the Worlds best coast line.

Yosemite is like a Zoo or Amusement park during the summer when its

packed with people from all over the world. Go in Spring before school lets

out or Fall when school is back in. Late October and early November is the

best time to see Yosemite. Fall colors and no crowds.

Try to hit the City of Solvang after visiting Hearst Castle on your way to

LA. Pismo Beach state park is absolutely GORGEOUS and its right before

Solvang. There is a California sea otter game refuge at Big Sur.

Also eat as much fresh pacific sea food as you can. On your way through

Santa Maria get off on S. Broadway and go through town. Hit one of the

many vendors barbecuing in the parking lots Santa Maria style Tri-Tip

sandwiches. Enough for now, enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California