U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,443,839 times

Advertisements

Both have put forth plans to address the state's loss of industrial manufacturing. Neither goes far enough.

Reviving California's economy: Meg Whitman versus Jerry Brown - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 06:29 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,367,722 times
The comments below the article are more informative than the article itself.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,926,534 times
My vote is with Meg Whitman. However, and this is a big however, she will not be enough on her own to save this liberally plagued state. It's time people understand that up front.

The political stalemate in California has more to do with the state legislature than with the governor. We could elect the most radical right wing governor ever, but every single one of his/her proposals would be blocked by our commie nutjob legislature. It's happened before, it's happening now, it will continue to happen until they are broken up and replaced.

Last edited by ryanst530; 08-17-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,256,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Both have put forth plans to address the state's loss of industrial manufacturing. Neither goes far enough.

Reviving California's economy: Meg Whitman versus Jerry Brown - latimes.com
What's happening in the Texas governor's race? Is your hick governor going to be re-elected again? Boy, Texas must be a huge embarrassment for you. Maybe I'll post a question on the Texas forum asking how many Texans are mortified by the ultra-rightwing bible-belt types that run your state.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 PM

99 posts, read 172,590 times
What do you guys think of Whitman's proposal "work for welfare"? On most issues I fall on the left but I do feel there needs to be welfare reform.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,564,526 times
Default Whitman, a Republican without a clue

Typical clueless republican she is. Assume that all blacks and hispanics are on welfare because they are inherently lazy and inferior, then focus hard on getting those people to work. This is the cornerstone of her economic policy along with keeping taxes low. Pathetic is what it is. Make no mistake about it, Whitman stinks.

Not many blacks in CA, but Whitman will not get the vote of those who are here. Despite her insincere, phony ads trying to cater to hispanics, she will not get the hispanic vote. Republican candidates do not support or respect hispanics. She will not get the gay vote, or the vote of liberal whites near the huge population centers. She will not get the asian vote as conservatives want to keep asians down because asians constiently out perform them on standarized tests and break up the good ol boy network. The only people supporting this woman are conservatives in Orange county, conservatives in rural portions of the state, and those who would vote for any Republican no matter who is running. The only relevant headliner that Whitman has is the amount of money she spends on her own campaign. It would be quite a different story if this type of money was pouring in from the people of CA or organizations who support her agenda. But this woman spends millions of dollars telling lies about her opponent.

I don't think CA voters will be sucked into voting for such a pathetic candidate as Whitman and her ideas about the economy are utter nonsense. Brown is the next Governor.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:01 AM

72,113 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post
What do you guys think of Whitman's proposal "work for welfare"? On most issues I fall on the left but I do feel there needs to be welfare reform.
not living in the state I haven't studied either proposal, but working for welfare, if it is what it sounds like was a Reagan idea as well. It is agreat one I will add. It saves the tax payer, the state and gives a little bit of dignity to the person.

Nita

Old 08-18-2010, 05:08 AM

72,113 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Typical clueless republican she is. Assume that all blacks and hispanics are on welfare because they are inherently lazy and inferior, then focus hard on getting those people to work. This is the cornerstone of her economic policy along with keeping taxes low. Pathetic is what it is. Make no mistake about it, Whitman stinks.

Not many blacks in CA, but Whitman will not get the vote of those who are here. Despite her insincere, phony ads trying to cater to hispanics, she will not get the hispanic vote. Republican candidates do not support or respect hispanics. She will not get the gay vote, or the vote of liberal whites near the huge population centers. She will not get the asian vote as conservatives want to keep asians down because asians constiently out perform them on standarized tests and break up the good ol boy network. The only people supporting this woman are conservatives in Orange county, conservatives in rural portions of the state, and those who would vote for any Republican no matter who is running. The only relevant headliner that Whitman has is the amount of money she spends on her own campaign. It would be quite a different story if this type of money was pouring in from the people of CA or organizations who support her agenda. But this woman spends millions of dollars telling lies about her opponent.

I don't think CA voters will be sucked into voting for such a pathetic candidate as Whitman and her ideas about the economy are utter nonsense. Brown is the next Governor.
What a brillant posting. If the only people supporting her are those living in Orange Co and rural parts of the state, how can the race be even close or maybe what you are saying, the only people who bother to vote are Republicans in Orange Co and those in the rural areas? I don't think you mean that and I don't think the only people supporting her live there.

Your mind is being affected by what you hope the people, including minorities will do, not by reality. I have no idea who will win, but I can tell you there are Hispanics, Asians and yes, blacks that will vote for her, just like there are whites and others that will vote for Brown.

Your race card is at work again.

Nita

Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM

11,436 posts, read 17,168,810 times
At least they both seem to understand that the loss of manufacturing is a big problem, maybe the Feds should open their eyes as well, there will have to be some great incentives to draw back any manufacturer, when i see companies being charged millions for an enviromental survey I don't see anything changing in the future.
I think and it's just my opinion that this economic problem is going to be a bigger issue than California can handle on their own and should be addresed by the federal government. i think it will take some major policy changes to bring back manufacturing anywhere in the states.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 AM

11,436 posts, read 17,168,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not living in the state I haven't studied either proposal, but working for welfare, if it is what it sounds like was a Reagan idea as well. It is agreat one I will add. It saves the tax payer, the state and gives a little bit of dignity to the person.

Nita
And sometimes thats all it takes to turn a whole generation of people living off the system around, I've seen people pushed out of the system and into the work force, at first they hate it but soon learn some self respect and turn into some good workers and better themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or